Need a projector recommendation

Devryd

Hey guys, I need a recommendation for a projector for around 2000€. The country is germany, if that matters. I want to use it indoors most of the time, but it should also be possible to use it outside. It will be used for movies, so it doesnt have to have really low pixel response time.

Thanks for your help

I have a Benq HT3550 (non-i), it isn't the brightest and I have a white screen in a completely light controlled room (no windows, closed single purpose room)

I really like the projector for the price though, it is a few years old at this point, but I watch a lot of movies and do not use any eco modes, and have not burned out a bulb yet. The lack of more modern features isn't great, but the resolution output is good with the pseudo 4k for the price point. (and if you maintain a proper viewing distance, the resolution is perfectly reasonable)

Im sure with a darker screen it may work better in higher light.

You said indoors and outdoors, but how often of each, and what is the viewing area that you would be using it most look like. Is it light controlled? How often do you need to move the projector (or would it be mounted) how far away from the screen etc.

Edited by Takumidesh
more info.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

The projector would mostly be mounted about 4m from the screen. The room is not Light Controlled (not even blinds on the Windows). It would be moved about twice a year and outside once a year. 

Can we assume that when you're using it outdoors, it's after dusk? Nighttime only?

And in terms of the non-light controlled room, will you be using it at all times of the day?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Outside only in the dark, inside also in the evening,so not really dark yet but not brigjt daylight anymore. 

1 minute ago, Devryd said:

Outside only in the dark, inside also in the evening,so not really dark yet but not brigjt daylight anymore. 

Okay, that's good to know.

A 4000 lumen projector is a great starting place - brighter simply means better visibility in non-dark conditions.

IMO, I'd recommend doing some research and narrowing down your choices. Then, when you're ready to purchase, buy from a local retailer that has a good return policy (eg: Best Buy) or online (Amazon), and just try it out. Use the projector during the brightest point in the day you'd likely use it, and see if it's good enough.

If it's too dim, return the projector and get one that's brighter.

I can't recommend any specific ones to you, since the only projectors I use are ones at work, which are Commercial Grade (I think we have a 10K lumen one somewhere), and cost way more than $2K.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Ok well, I would not recommend my projector at all. If you have no light control it will be very washed out.

The challenge with projectors is their distinct lack of versatility. In my opinion projector selection is just a game of compromises. without good light control it can become expensive to get a good looking kit.

Have you considered splitting the difference and getting a 1500 euro projector for inside, and a cheaper travel/modular projector for outdoor viewing and events?

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

1 hour ago, Takumidesh said:

Ok well, I would not recommend my projector at all. If you have no light control it will be very washed out.

The challenge with projectors is their distinct lack of versatility. In my opinion projector selection is just a game of compromises. without good light control it can become expensive to get a good looking kit.

Have you considered splitting the difference and getting a 1500 euro projector for inside, and a cheaper travel/modular projector for outdoor viewing and events?

What benefit would OP get by buying 2 projectors, other than the ease of use of not having to disconnect one of them? I would struggle to see a performance benefit here - any projector he could get for $1500 euro + a $500 euro piece of crap, would, IMO, be better off getting a single $2000 euro projector instead that has higher brightness or tighter pixel density or some other benefit. And if there was no benefit for that $500 euro price increase, I'd say just stick with a $1500 euro projector and forget about the other one.

The indoor projector is going to struggle the most, given the fact that OP is going to to be using the outdoor one at night after dark - but the indoor one may see some light. I would definitely suggest the OP gets one unit and puts any extra budget into getting as bright a unit as possible, or put the rest towards a better screen, etc.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

What benefit would OP get by buying 2 projectors, other than the ease of use of not having to disconnect one of them? I would struggle to see a performance benefit here - any projector he could get for $1500 euro + a $500 euro piece of crap, would, IMO, be better off getting a single $2000 euro projector instead that has higher brightness or tighter pixel density or some other benefit. And if there was no benefit for that $500 euro price increase, I'd say just stick with a $1500 euro projector and forget about the other one.

The indoor projector is going to struggle the most, given the fact that OP is going to to be using the outdoor one at night after dark - but the indoor one may see some light. I would definitely suggest the OP gets one unit and puts any extra budget into getting as bright a unit as possible, or put the rest towards a better screen, etc.

because the indoor projector will be mounted according to OP which makes things difficult to actually move around.

Assuming someone is going to be spending thousands of dollars on a projector, I would assume they don't want to have to keystone and align everything just to project a movie on the back wall for camping night or something.

It depends on the setup though, for me atleast, taking down the wire management, removing the projector from the mount, adjusting all of the settings for the different viewing area would take me an hour. then you have to do all that again to put it back in place. I personally just wouldn't do that. it took me a very long time to get my projector dialed in for the environment it was in.

Plus indoor projectors are fragile. I don't know where OP is going to use the projector, But I wouldn't be very comfortable setting mine in the back yard or on my driveway.

That being said, I focus my life on frictionless experience, when I make things difficult on my self I often find I just don't do them.

14 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

because the indoor projector will be mounted according to OP which makes things difficult to actually move around.

This is about the only reason I would consider getting a second projector. But, if they're not willing to move one good projector back and fourth, I would probably reconsider the whole thing, buy a good TV for inside, and just use the projector outside. Unless they wanted to increase their budget anyway, and buy two identical projectors.

Assuming someone is going to be spending thousands of dollars on a projector, I would assume they don't want to have to keystone and align everything just to project a movie on the back wall for camping night or something.

I don't know - that's basically up to the OP to decide whether they do or do not want to go through that effort.

If you're doing it all the time? I'd get a second projector (or a TV for inside). However, if it's only once a year, I think the effort of remounting it is worth it, given that it would be a lot of extra money to buy another one just for one event.

It depends on the setup though, for me atleast, taking down the wire management, removing the projector from the mount, adjusting all of the settings for the different viewing area would take me an hour. then you have to do all that again to put it back in place. I personally just wouldn't do that. it took me a very long time to get my projector dialed in for the environment it was in.

I don't disagree with you - I would avoid that situation by doing something totally different.

Though I wonder if it's possible to set up profiles with different adjustments - yes, you'll need to fine tune it every time anyway, but it might be good enough to make it a 30 second job of adjustments instead of 25 minutes. I'd also probably just get a second set of all the cables, so the only thing you're taking down is the projector itself, and leave the cables and cable management in-place.

Some people, however, would definitely go through that effort in order to save having to buy a second one (or, instead, putting the extra money into a better single projector).

Plus indoor projectors are fragile. I don't know where OP is going to use the projector, But I wouldn't be very comfortable setting mine in the back yard or on my driveway.

Fragile? Sure, if you drop them or something. Or using them in the elements (rain, snow, heavy wind, etc). But on a calm summer night, putting the projector, say, on a table in front of the garage? Absolutely no harm in that unless you drop it (and if you drop it inside, it'll likely break anyway).

I wouldn't take it camping, mind you. But outside of your house on your own property, on a secure surface, has very minimal risk.

That being said, I focus my life on frictionless experience, when I make things difficult on my self I often find I just don't do them.

That's totally fair - and there's a market for both the way you focus your life, and for the people who don't mind extra work and tinkering to save money.

IMO - I would either save up enough/increase the budget so that I could get a good projector for both situations, or I would change the proposal, for example, and get a decent indoor TV (for $1000, you can get a damn good TV, and that leaves $1000 for a projector that can be used outdoors in good weather).

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

IMO - I would either save up enough/increase the budget so that I could get a good projector for both situations, or I would change the proposal, for example, and get a decent indoor TV (for $1000, you can get a damn good TV, and that leaves $1000 for a projector that can be used outdoors in good weather).

You make great points.

I can only speak from my experience of course. I love my projector, but it is fickle. I think hearing from OP about some more specifics about the setups and the amount of work they are willing to do will be beneficial.

Sorry for the late responses, night time in germany.

For the setup: Currently we have a very old and crapy projector, which is mounted on the ceiling. Thats where we would put the new projector, if possible. We would have to move it once a year, so reconfiguring it, wont be a problem. I am not really an expert on projectors, which is the reason for this thread. We would most likely get two sets of cables, because one set is mounted to the ceiling.

The lack of light control is a problem.  Normally I'd recommend a laser projector for virtually everything--but if you are convinced 4000 ANSI is the way to go, you are in rarefied air finding something for only 2000 USD--and it may well have a conventional lamp illumination.

You also pretty much are required to get an ALR screen--which has a premium over conventional screens--because you do not have any light control in the room.

I also agree with the above that it's a stupid idea to have a ceiling mounted projector and then also intend to use it for occasional outdoor use.  I personally hate having to calibrate each time it's set up. 

why not just use the old crappy projector as the outside one?

On 10/24/2022 at 4:52 PM, Takumidesh said:

why not just use the old crappy projector as the outside one?

because it not really bright. Its barely bright enough to use inside if its not completly dark outside

On 10/19/2022 at 10:47 AM, IPD said:

Normally I'd recommend a laser projector for virtually everything

How many Lumens will that get me?