Is this an ok solution to my fan issue?

My laptop started making a horrible clicking noise when the fans kick in, even on low, which is most of the time when I do anything. On the inside of my computer there are 2 fans connected to one heatsink for the combo cpu/gpu. Only one of the fans is making the horrible sound. I don't know how to fix the noise from the fan, and replacing it would mean replacing the whole heatsink. So I just internally unplugged the fan making the noise.

In theory, during normal tasks, the functional fan would run twice as fast, which still much quieter than the broken fan. Is this gonna work fine? any laptop engineers to tell me why this is the worst idea? otherwise I'm sticking with it for now, it's an older laptop anyway.

linus sex tips

10 minutes ago, waterjug said:

My laptop started making a horrible clicking noise when the fans kick in, even on low, which is most of the time when I do anything. On the inside of my computer there are 2 fans connected to one heatsink for the combo cpu/gpu. Only one of the fans is making the horrible sound. I don't know how to fix the noise from the fan, and replacing it would mean replacing the whole heatsink. So I just internally unplugged the fan making the noise.

In theory, during normal tasks, the functional fan would run twice as fast, which still much quieter than the broken fan. Is this gonna work fine? any laptop engineers to tell me why this is the worst idea? otherwise I'm sticking with it for now, it's an older laptop anyway.

A lot of newer laptops use passive cooling anyway, I'm sure your fine. If you are just doing light single threaded tasks anyway. If you are playing Cyberpunk 4k 240hz on there it will burn you more than the surface of the sun, but old laptops don't do that, so you're fine

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What laptop?

some bumass lenovo ideapad

linus sex tips