These Corsair AF140 Silent Edition Fans Aren't That Silent

Kilowatts

So yeah... not really that silent. They are they loudest thing in my computer next to my GPU when at 70% fan speed. I think its just the motors that seem to make a humming that for some reason I find annoying. Kind of sucks though spend $20 each on these and I'm looking to replace them now. So what would be a good alternative. Just pick up some Noctuas? Are they better for just case airflow or static pressure? Will probably need static pressure fans soon as well because I have the Corsair SP 120s which aren't that quite either but I will be replacing my H60 with an H100i so I'm going to need another rad fan.

Thoughts anyone?

Intel i5 3570k
NVidia Geforce GTX 670

The noctuas are good, Gentle Typhoons are also good, if you can find them that is. :P

The noctuas are good' date=' Gentle Typhoons are also good, if you can find them that is. :P[/quote']

Yeah, I've heard good things about the Noctuas just haven't been able to bring myself to buy them for whatever reason but I think now is the time. lol

Intel i5 3570k
NVidia Geforce GTX 670

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

Noctuas are the cream of the crop but if you can't get over the looks of them then Silverstone Air Penetrator fans are great! For Rad fans get the AP121s as they have great static pressure. The APs also have great directed air flow and I have two 140mm fans running as case fans. The loudest part of my build is my GPU fan but I never run that at speed isn't audible most of the time. The next offender is the 2 stock 120s that came with my Corsair Carbide 500r. Even on low speed (5V) they are louder then APs on ~70%

Yeah, as much as I love Corsair they don't make the greatest fans. Check out Noctua NF-F12's. I have 5 of them in my system and it's pretty damn quiet (save for an extremely obnoxious motherboard fan), as well as some other noctua fans in another system that is literally dead quiet. Their fans are amazing.

But if you don't want to go Noctua, look at silverstone air penetrators, be quiet silent wings 2, and Scythe gentle typhoons if you can find them.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Noctua NF-A14s were released not too long ago. They are basically like NF-F12s but in a 140mm size. Should be great for you.

So it looks like noctua is the pretty safe route. lol

Intel i5 3570k
NVidia Geforce GTX 670

you would be correct sir and if you go onto the noctua website it tells you what each type of fan is best suited for.

Do you want "quiet fans", or "silent fans"? Noctua are quiet, but if you want the lowest noise possible, look to the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 800RPM/1150RPM, the Scythe Slipstream 12L/12M and Noiseblocker M12-S1/M12-S2.

Source #1

Source #2

Are you running them with the low noise adapters? If you really want quietness just add more fans and run them at low RPMs.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

I've got a set of noctua nf-f12 which are awesome in terms of static pressure for rads but they are not the quietest when running at full rpm compared to other noctuas, they do come with low noise adapters and are pwm so they can be made fairly quiet. I've got mine set at low rpm at low temps and max rpm(1500) for when the temps go up on the CPU. The noctua nf-p12 are also good, slightly quieter but lower static pressure compared to the nf-f12. The nf-s12b are so quiet but lower pressure and I just use them as a case fan.

Check out this link it goes into a little detail for the noctua 120mm

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=which_fan_is_right_for_me&lng=en

Yeah, as much as I love Corsair they don't make the greatest fans. Check out Noctua NF-F12's. I have 5 of them in my system and it's pretty damn quiet (save for an extremely obnoxious motherboard fan), as well as some other noctua fans in another system that is literally dead quiet. Their fans are amazing.

But if you don't want to go Noctua, look at silverstone air penetrators, be quiet silent wings 2, and Scythe gentle typhoons if you can find them.

is your mobo fan a 40 mm? you could get a noctua NF-A4x10 FLX

I don't know what your talking about.... Corsair 140 Quiet Editions are Quiet.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

Yeah, I bought 6 corsair quiet fans because I couldn't stand the looks of the Noctuas. But with the PC under my desk, I can still hear them when they're running at around 700RPM. Considering buying a new non-window side panel for my Define R4 and putting Noctuas in there some day. But that won't happen any time soon.

Nope. Definite noise at 9v, if not lower.

Yeah, I bought 6 corsair quiet fans because I couldn't stand the looks of the Noctuas. But with the PC under my desk, I can still hear them when they're running at around 700RPM. Considering buying a new non-window side panel for my Define R4 and putting Noctuas in there some day. But that won't happen any time soon.
Just get gentle typhoons and undervolt them :)

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Noctua's are great; good, silent performance. I've also heard good things from gentle typhoons and gellid wings

Oh and if you need a silent 140mm, the 140mm Antec Truequiet are good. I'm not sure how the Noctua+ULNA stacks up airflow-wise to that.

maybe they just are not good undervolted.

get some GT's

Nope. Definite noise at 9v, if not lower.

That's why you under-volt the fans. I own these fans, and they're quiet even at full voltage.

i5 3570K - MSI GD65 z77 - 660ti 2gb SLI - Kingston HyperX Blu 8gb (4x2gb) - Corsair H100i - Corsair 500r - Corsair HX 850w - Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

• 1 month later...

maybe you could put a discription of your fan layout or a scetch of them in your system, as if ued properly and with low noise adaptors they shouldn't be a problem.

I use Aerocool RS12 carbon fibre look edition with red led as exit fans and there pritty good (careful they only mount one way), i would say if your case and system is not set up right then your fans could be running flat out to try and cool it down, like if you are over clocking or something.

You have to try and work out why the fans would be running so fast that they make that much noise?? like how much airflow coming in vs going out, CPU specs, graphic card specs, Motherboard specs and setup.

I would say all fans make noise if running fast, and can be silent when the system is basically in idol mode.

Upgrading your CPU cooler could make a big difference to your fan speeds.

so many things can cause different results, hence its kinda cool we all have slightly or very different computer systems ( i assume most people here build them from components they selected).

hope it helps and Linus or Slick are the experts, i am just trying to suggest things and tell you from my knowledge as just an average computer builder.

got to love Asus components

Nope. Definite noise at 9v' date=' if not lower.[/quote']

Why is there static on a sound test?

If you listen carefully the noise starts before the fan is even turned on...

yeah... I have 2 of the SP120 quiet editions that I used for a while on an Antec 620 AIO (I also used to have a tiny case, hence the crappy cooler), and while they were not terribly noisy (better than stock), they also didn't push much air. They also were not cheap, and they are not PWM. They are a safe bet if Emermax Magmas or Noctua fans don't fit with you color scheme, but I'd otherwise advise people to check out other fans first.

EDIT: Here is a great Anandtech article that overviews a bunch of pressure optimized fans:

][url=http://www.anandtech.com/show/6391/120mm-radiator-fan-roundup-part-2-fan-harder/7]http://www.anandtech.com/show/6391/120mm-radiator-fan-roundup-part-2-fan-harder/7[/url=http://www.anandtech.com/show/6391/120mm-radiator-fan-roundup-part-2-fan-harder/7]

"Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." - Steve Earle

• 4 weeks later...

Noiseblocker Blacksilent Pro 140mm, try them, I have not looked back since buying them.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT