I have a BIG problem with my CPU

Hello everybody

This is the second time im making this;( i accidently pressed on page back and everything was gone, oh well, here's the story(I know its long, but please read it):

About a month ago, I got my new pc, with an amd athlon 760k. I built it and all, and it was idling at around 45-65 C, and when I ran bioshock infinite, it was even 85, and even 90 at one point. I made a thread about this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/132447-cpu-temperature-really-high/#entry1762946 

The tl;dr of ^that thread: nothing. I did everything perfectly and nothing could have gone from how i built it.

So, i sent it back to where i got it from(alternate.nl), and after 2 weeks i didnt hear shit from them. It seems i have to wait longer. 2 more weeks passed, and I called again, and it seems i have to wait more. So after about a  month(yesterday) I was sick n tired, i couldnt wait any longer so I got a new 760k, it arrived 2 hours ago

Guess what, the temps are the same. Now i do not know what the fk alternate(where i got it from) was doing all this time, because the problem wasnt the cpu itself( i think.)

Oh and alternate also called while im typing this, that they will sent the old one tomorrow ;_; wow

So i am so upset right now, im so pissed. I did everything right in this build, why the hell is the temp that high, this cpu shouldnt!

I really need some help here as im really confused. Maybe the parts arent compatible with eachoter?(You can see the parts in the thread i created earlier : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/132447-cpu-temperature-really-high/#entry1762946 )

I thought of buying an after market cpu cooler, like the 212 evo, but the thing is, even if i replace it, it still shouldnt be like this, i don want to have an after market cooler to make my cpu perform as good as other builds with this cpu that have the stock cooler!

If you've been reading till here thank you, you're awesome. I hope that is enough information, im just so mad i dont know if i forgot anything, hope not.

You should have bought an aftermarket cooler right away that is gonna run hot, the new FM2+ Athlons dont run cold they like to run HOT

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

If your ambient temps are high already, plus the stock cooler it might explain your high temps

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

That is normal, especially for that CPU. The 760k runs pretty hot

linus rule for cpu. 

1. unbox

2. throw the stock cooler at the wall.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

If your case can fit the evo then get it. If not then get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. It's smaller but it is a good cooler compared to the Evo if you take into account its size. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-freezer7prorev2

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

As an owner of a 760k I know those are normal temps. I've got a 212 on it and pretty low case temps and it idles about 41-45 overclocked. Never goes that high under load though. Highest Ive seen is like 70.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

I have the same case without the windows and the hyper 212 evo keeps my 8320 at 4.1 GHz at max 50 degrees under load. The stock cooler got a lot warmer though and sounded like it wanted to take off, so I don't think it's very good.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Off topic, you're not the only one having problems with Alternate warranty.

My PSU broke after just 18 months, and I had to wait like over 2 months before they finally gave my money back. They almost forced me to buy a new one immediately, which luckily I did.

I still had to call them myself though, and I've heard similar stories from other people, where Alternate claimed to have called already, but ofc they didn't.

The PSU was from alternate.nl too, but .be is just as bad  :D. I still buy all my hardware from them though  :P .

I have the same case without the windows and the hyper 212 evo keeps my 8320 at 4.1 GHz at max 50 degrees under load. The stock cooler got a lot warmer though and sounded like it wanted to take off, so I don't think it's very good.

i was playing crysis 3 on the stock cooler full volume on headphone could still hear it, i thought it was gonna rip itself apart

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Kinda sad to hear Alternate's warranty isn't that good, I read somewhat good things about them and they seemed to be a nice company. Oh well.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

You should have bought an aftermarket cooler right away that is gonna run hot, the new FM2+ Athlons dont run cold they like to run HOT

Hmm, i always thought the stock cooler would keept the temp OK:/ Yes, i indeed didn't expect 20C, but id expect it to not burn;_;

If your ambient temps are high already, plus the stock cooler it might explain your high temps

My ambient temps are not that high, they're ok, just got the stock case coolers.

That is normal, especially for that CPU. The 760k runs pretty hot

Hmm, i always thought the stock cooler would keept the temp OK:/ Yes, i indeed didn't expect 20C, but id expect it to not burn;_;

760k runs hot by it self. What are your ambient temps?

They aren't that great, but i don't think that makes much of a difference does it

As an owner of a 760k I know those are normal temps. I've got a 212 on it and pretty low case temps and it idles about 41-45 overclocked. Never goes that high under load though. Highest Ive seen is like 70.

Hm, that's actually good to know, do you know your temps with the stock cooler?

Off topic, you're not the only one having problems with Alternate warranty.

My PSU broke after just 18 months, and I had to wait like over 2 months before they finally gave my money back. They almost forced me to buy a new one immediately, which luckily I did.

I still had to call them myself though, and I've heard similar stories from other people, where Alternate claimed to have called already, but ofc they didn't.

The PSU was from alternate.nl too, but .be is just as bad  :D. I still buy all my hardware from them though  :P .

Ho ly shit. I have never had warranty service this bad... When i sent back my old cpu they put the status as "warranty expired" eventho it had been 2 days i had the cpu. They made sooo many mistakes and it took ages. The only thing they told me was "wait". They are terrible ;_;

Kinda sad to hear Alternate's warranty isn't that good, I read somewhat good things about them and they seemed to be a nice company. Oh well.

I thought the same, they are pretty good.  But the warranty, egh, terrible man:(

It could be an issue with power delivery. That could be two things, PSU and/or your motherboard.

hmm, what should i do? Any way to check if what you're saying is the problem?

@Kira0172 for example, if a 760k runs at 75 degrees in 20 degree ambient, it will run at 85 degree in 30degree ambient everything else being constant.

Which is the temperature in my region sadly

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Their prices are usually pretty good, but aftersales is a disaster  :P .

Well, you could try another PSU if you have one or another motherboard.

Hmm, Unforunatly i don't;_;

@Kira0172 for example, if a 760k runs at 75 degrees in 20 degree ambient, it will run at 85 degree in 30degree ambient everything else being constant.

Which is the temperature in my region sadly

Oh yeye I get it now, thanks.

I have been experimenting a little bit:

When i stop the cpu fan from spinning with my finger, the temp doesn't go any higher. Is this normal? I'm using speccy tho, wich isn't that common.

another thing, i have the adata XPG V2 ram, and i have 2 ram slots so they are close to the cpu, what aftermarket cololers would you suggest?
Oh 1 more thing, the cpu is 82C right now, I only have 2 tabs open in chrome ;_;

I have heard that only AMD overdrive can read the temperatures of the fm2 chips correctly. I would suggest trying that as it seems like it is a faulty reading rather than the CPU actually being hot.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

I have heard that only AMD overdrive can read the temperatures of the fm2 chips correctly. I would suggest trying that as it seems like it is a faulty reading rather than the CPU actually being hot.

Here it is, idling:

SLPXkMd.png

Edit: HOLYSHIT I tested if my stock cooler worked at all, by unpluggin the cpu fan cable and it was idling at 105xD but I didn't realize lol. So, it seems my stock cooler works,

Now i just need to know if the 212 evo is compatible with the xpg v2's and what am cpu cooler i should get if it doesnt.

@Kira0172 Not sure how good the stock cooler on the 760k is, but you should go for an aftermarket cooler. Should pretty much solve your issue

@Kira0172 Not sure how good the stock cooler on the 760k is, but you should go for an aftermarket cooler. Should pretty much solve your issue

Wich one:P any reccomendations?

@Kira0172 evo 212 will be enough if it fits your case.