Wanting to upgrade from a 10 year old gaming pc

Bram_6666

Hi guys, I have a pretty old gaming pc ~10 years old and I thought it would be time to upgrade as it barely reaches 60fps on most modern games with lowest settings. Sometimes I pick up some info here and there about pc tech but for the most part I am unfamiliar with the latest hardware. I do have however a friend which I like to believe knows a lot about pc hardware. As with my previous gaming pc I asked him for help on this new build. With some reasonable argumentation he picked these parts for me:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4TNpW4

The total is below my initial budget and my friend argued that going for more would be at this moment unneccessary and if I wanted I could better use the excesses to upgrade for example the gpu in a couple of years. What do you guys think about this build? Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Budget (including currency): 2.000 euro, I am willing to go over budget if it would greatly benefit performance but I would like to avoid overspending

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly 3A games, sometimes I will run some work related simulations and machine learning programs

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

I am currently using a 1080p ultrawide monitor with a refresh rate of 75Hz. After this build I will be looking to upgrade the monitor though. Mostlikely to a 1440p monitor with 144Hz refresh rate.

7 minutes ago, Edward686 said:

Also for your use case you might want to consider switching to an Nvidia card. They have some things like DLSS which tend to help in 3A games.

AMD has their own version, and their cards are cheaper on the open market rn.

6 hours ago, Bram_6666 said:

and machine learning programs

Then you have to go with nvidia, amd has no support whatsoever for any modern ML framework.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

12 hours ago, igormp said:

Then you have to go with nvidia, amd has no support whatsoever for any modern ML framework.

Thank you for your response, I also had that as a little concern.

Which GPU from Nvidea would you advice? I found that the RTX 3080 TI is obtainable for a similar price as the RX 3600 XT. But I was told that the RX 3600 XT has better performance.

2 hours ago, Bram_6666 said:

Thank you for your response, I also had that as a little concern.

Which GPU from Nvidea would you advice? I found that the RTX 3080 TI is obtainable for a similar price as the RX 3600 XT. But I was told that the RX 3600 XT has better performance.

There's no such thing as a RX 3600 XT. 

Anyhow, wait for the 4000 series launch to decide which gpu to go for, you can maybe get a 3080 12gb or even a 3090 for cheap. 

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

21 hours ago, Edward686 said:

Upgraded to a 5800X for not that much more and switched to a cheaper PSU:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PNMFpH

Also for your use case you might want to consider switching to an Nvidia card. They have some things like DLSS which tend to help in 3A games.

That is a pointless upgrade. The 5700X is more or less going to give the same performance. No point paying extra for the 5800X.