Questions regarding use of a local cache server to enhance internet bandwidth and reduce data usage

phelt54

Could a local cache server be used to enhance internet bandwidth and reduce data usage? A friend of mine owns a bar in a very small town, they currently provide wifi to customers using the weak rental centurylink modem and router combo unit, but it is so weak that usually only five devices can connect to it wirelessly and actually receive data. The best internet that they can get is DSL that I believe is only 40Mb/s. I suggested that they buy a much nicer aftermarket router and modem to provide service to more customers, but the owner is concerned about going over the data cap that they have with their centurylink account. If a local cache server were connected to the network, could it store a copy of everything that is downloaded from the internet, so that the files are only downloaded the first time and each subsequent patron who requests the same webpages, videos and app updates receives the data directly from the local cache server? I assume that building a local cache server using a file server board would be a better choice since it would likely be better at handling more read and write operations than a desktop/workstation motherboard? If there is an application update to possibly the google application and the application update is often 60mb, would only the first 60mb google application update be downloaded from the ISP while each subsequent 60mb google application update be provided to each of the other bar patrons from the local cache server? If someone watches a video on youtube or possibly on netflix using the bar's wifi, would a copy of the video be saved to the local cache server, so the following patrons that decide to view that same video receive the video from the local cache server? Could a local cache server be used to enhance internet bandwidth and reduce data usage?

Considering that most of the content the patrons will be accessing will be social media, which is highly dynamic, or streaming video/audio 'Check out this YouTube video, lookit my phone!' which would vary widely patron to patron, I somewhat doubt caching will be of much help.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

On 10/1/2022 at 8:58 PM, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Considering that most of the content the patrons will be accessing will be social media, which is highly dynamic, or streaming video/audio 'Check out this YouTube video, lookit my phone!' which would vary widely patron to patron, I somewhat doubt caching will be of much help.

This…

The amount of overlapping data will be minuscule, and most of it will likely be encrypted anyways which would further reduce the effectiveness of a solution like this.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air