GTX 800 impartial, unbiased, official info-only based, release date speculation.

kungfury7

Okay... first please excuse me for my lack of english skills, it's not my native tongue. I've been following the release date of this series for awhile now, mainly because I've been needing a new rig since GTX 500 series, but the releases didn't seem to have impressed me enough. Anyways, let's just get to the nitty-gritty. People may have already tone down their hopes with the recent news that TSMC is experiencing manufacturing problems with the 20nm, but isn't this based on the info from another website, which may have originally came from a forum like this one? What i'm saying is that this piece of info isn't an official statement, so I honestly questions its credibility.

TSMC latest "official" statement was that the 20nm process has been in full production since January 2014, and they didn't mention any problems since whatsoever. 

My point is, with the recent release of Z97 motherboards, I highly doubt it that NVIDIA will want to miss out. With this new technology, people will be looking to upgrade their rig, or even buying a new one. GTX 700 series still performs well, but let's face it, it's a 1 year old tech. So, from a marketing standpoint, can we infer that NVIDIA would still want to get on with the hype train, and maybe release GTX 800 within H1, or not totally holding off until next year? With the the market really waking up with new batch of tech, like the Haswell CPU arriving soon, my speculation would be they might announce something soon, maybe a little after H1 :D

From what I've heard it sounds like each process has different versions. 20nm low-power (for phones, tablets, etc.) has started production. 20nm high-performance (GPUs) is where the problems are. If Nvidia designed Maxwell for 20nm they'll either have to redesign it for 28nm or wait for 20nm to be ready. 

Somehow I doubt there will be a ton of people rebuilding their whole rig because of Haswell refresh. Intel releases new CPUs all the time. It's not that big of a deal.

Okay... first please excuse me for my lack of english skills, it's not my native tongue. I've been following the release date of this series for awhile now, mainly because I've been needing a new rig since GTX 500 series, but the releases didn't seem to have impressed me enough. Anyways, let's just get to the nitty-gritty. People may have already tone down their hopes with the recent news that TSMC is experiencing manufacturing problems with the 20nm, but isn't this based on the info from another website, which may have originally came from a forum like this one? What i'm saying is that this piece of info isn't an official statement, so I honestly questions its credibility.

TSMC latest "official" statement was that the 20nm process has been in full production since January 2014, and they didn't mention any problems since whatsoever. 

My point is, with the recent release of Z97 motherboards, I highly doubt it that NVIDIA will want to miss out. With this new technology, people will be looking to upgrade their rig, or even buying a new one. GTX 700 series still performs well, but let's face it, it's a 1 year old tech. So, from a marketing standpoint, can we infer that NVIDIA would still want to get on with the hype train, and maybe release GTX 800 within H1, or not totally holding off until next year? With the the market really waking up with new batch of tech, like the Haswell CPU arriving soon, my speculation would be they might announce something soon, maybe a little after H1 :D

They've done a fine job milking Kepler for every penny so far, and without a big release from AMD soon, why would they bother cutting in to their profit margin?

Z97 hasn't been released, just leaked, and looks like another marginal, crappy updated from Intel. I'm not sure what you mean by miss out, they're still selling old cards and anybody who owns a sandy bridge or later CPU won't be upgrading. There's almost 0 hype for the new intel products, everyone is sick and tired of the minimal effort Intel puts in to their consumer level desktop products. NVidia didn't release their best gaming card (GTX 780 Ti) until they were backed in to a corner when AMD released the (then) cheaper and better performing (vs GTX 780) R9 290X. 

Oh believe me I'm all for Nvidia releasing their 800 series soon, and you got a good point. But the realistic side of me tells me that even if they were "ready", why would they release them now? The 700 series are still selling like hot cakes and no word from AMD's 300 series... 

In my honest opinion, I say Q3-Q4 as the earliest. Of course, that's my opinion... if they release it sooner I wouldn't be mad. lol

If there's no pressure for release from competition or diminishing sales, then it simply won't happen. The fact that 700's still sell gives no reason for the introduction of the new generation products. I'm not expecting to see any real competitors for my money (880+) until mid-late Q4.

From what I've heard it sounds like each process has different versions. 20nm low-power (for phones, tablets, etc.) has started production. 20nm high-performance (GPUs) is where the problems are. If Nvidia designed Maxwell for 20nm they'll either have to redesign it for 28nm or wait for 20nm to be ready. 

Somehow I doubt there will be a ton of people rebuilding their whole rig because of Haswell refresh. Intel releases new CPUs all the time. It's not that big of a deal.

Mannn... hearing from of all you guys made me regret holding off. I should have built my rig when the 700 series first came out.

Mannn... hearing from of all you guys made me regret holding off. I should have built my rig when the 700 series first came out.

But bro, you should never wait for a GPU that has no date. :(

You should. There is ALWAYS something newer and better just around the corner. Unless there is a confirmed release date you should never bother waiting unless you really dont need to upgrade.

The droves of idiots on this forum telling people to wait for Maxwell are probably 13 and have no clue how the tech market works.

Hey, honestly if you're going to be building the new rig anyway, you might as well start building it, use the 500 series card you have now (assuming it's something like a 560 Ti or better) until you see a card you really want, and then make the plunge. The longer wait hopefully will get you extra cash to spend on a badass card when the time comes.

What I'm saying is, if you're needing a full system refresh anyway, you might as well start building it, then purchase your Graphics card last. Maybe what you really want will be out by then.

Hey, honestly if you're going to be building the new rig anyway, you might as well start building it, use the 500 series card you have now (assuming it's something like a 560 Ti or better) until you see a card you really want, and then make the plunge. The longer wait hopefully will get you extra cash to spend on a badass card when the time comes.

What I'm saying is, if you're needing a full system refresh anyway, you might as well start building it, then purchase your Graphics card last. Maybe what you really want will be out by then.

My situation is I have no build at all.. nil. What would you suggest me do? Just get 4770K and 780? I kinda want the best.

My situation is I have no build at all.. nil. What would you suggest me do? Just get 4770K and 780? I kinda want the best.

a 4670K or a 4770K with a 780 would be swell on 1080p.  As it's a standard 780 it's significantly cheaper than the Ti version so you can spend a little more elsewhere, or put the savings towards another 780 if you plan to go 1440p/1600p.

Then at least you'll have a brand new high power system and can adapt into Maxwell and sell off your SLI/780.

The new motherboard range/refresh isn't really worth waiting for.  Not for the initial cost to performance improvement ratio.

a 4670K or a 4770K with a 780 would be swell on 1080p.  As it's a standard 780 it's significantly cheaper than the Ti version so you can spend a little more elsewhere, or put the savings towards another 780 if you plan to go 1440p/1600p.

Then at least you'll have a brand new high power system and can adapt into Maxwell and sell off your SLI/780.

The new motherboard range/refresh isn't really worth waiting for.  Not for the initial cost to performance improvement ratio.

Yeah.. but then again it would suck if in 3 months the GTX 880 is announced.. or it wouldn't it that's not the case. 

Yep, but there is a perpetual "in 3 months there will be something better" arguement when buying tech.  It could be tomorrow, it could be 3 months from now.

I'm in a similar place.  I want something powerful enough to run my monitor, but the only way to get Ultra quality 60fps would be to SLI two 780ti's or wait for Maxwell...

Yeah.. but then again it would suck if in 3 months the GTX 880 is announced.. or it wouldn't it that's not the case. 

I don't know where are you from but I've read that the EVGA step-up program is great for guys like you, it's 3 months. Let's say you buy an EVGA 780, you apply for the program and in 3 months the 880 appears, you pay the difference in price and you'll get the new 880. If it takes more than 3 months, then by that time you have already used the 780 pretty well anyways... it's a win-win scenario in my opinion.

Just remember, the 880 will not cost $499 like the 780... if my memory serves me well, the 780 was originally $649 at it's release. It was like that until AMD released a "better" card and Nvidia released the 780ti for $699. In other words, the 780 are "cheap".

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where are you from but I've read that the EVGA step-up program is great for guys like you, it's 3 months. Let's say you buy an EVGA 780, you apply for the program and in 3 months the 880 appears, you pay the difference in price and you'll get the new 880. If it takes more than 3 months, then by that time you have already used the 780 pretty well anyways... it's a win-win scenario in my opinion.

Just remember, the 880 will not cost $499 like the 780... if my memory serves me well, the 780 was originally $649 at it's release. It was like that until AMD released a "better" card and Nvidia released the 780ti for $699. In other words, the 780 are "cheap".

I think this guy has hit the nail on the head if your concern is the inevitable "oh no something better came out."

Personally, if I were you, I'd build a nice 4770 rig or if Money is no object, go with a nice 4930k if you need the rendering and ram channels. Then I would go with the EVGA step up program.

To be honest though, if your concern is that the 880 is about to come out I wouldn't worry about it too greatly.They'll do as they always have, release the 880, it'll be a decent gain, then AMD will release something, and nVidia will drop what they should have released as the 880 with some sort of Ti moniker and that's where you'll see the big jump. Again, I have no insider knowledge, haven't even really been following the news on the potential 880, just following previous trends and making educated predictions.

Like I said, if you really wanna buy now, I'd go with the EVGA step up program and buy something now. If you're concerned about the "next big thing" you'll never buy a card. There's always a better card around the corner but you can't have any fun with a computer you're always planning to build.

From the information gathered on the internet, don't expect high-end 800 series to hit the market before Q4 2014 and could be as late as Q2 2015.

Also expect the GTX 870 to be released first about a month or so before the 880 as it is always the case...the 870 will perform about the same as the 780

as it is always the case and will cost about 75$ less than a 780 as it is always the case...the 880 we have no idea how good it will be, chances are it will

perform around 15 to 20% better than a GTX 780 and will cost a whooping 600$ + at launch. so either you get a 780 now...or...you get a 780 now...you can save

75$ waiting a year for an 870 or go balls out and get a titan black wich should compare fairly well to the new 880 except for power consumption...oh and the 870

will probably ship with 3gb of VRAM and the 880 probably 4gb.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Get crossfire or sli with current generation. As I learned in the past that my friends 2x480's over powered a single 680 2 gens ahead.

I believe future proofing a rig comes with dual GPUs

• Laptop: MSI GF65 + 16GB + 1.2TB + 2060 GTX + i7 9750H Display: 24" LG Ultra Gear 144hz Keyboard: Logitech G213 Mouse: Corsair Harpoon Sound Card: Traktor Kontrol S2 MK2 Speakers: Behringer CR4-X Other: Gaomon Graphics Tablet COOLING: Thermaltake Massive S14 Laptop Cooler

From the information gathered on the internet, don't expect high-end 800 series to hit the market before Q4 2014 and could be as late as Q2 2015.

Also expect the GTX 870 to be released first about a month or so before the 880 as it is always the case...the 870 will perform about the same as the 780

as it is always the case and will cost about 75$ less than a 780 as it is always the case...the 880 we have no idea how good it will be, chances are it will

perform around 15 to 20% better than a GTX 780 and will cost a whooping 600$ + at launch. so either you get a 780 now...or...you get a 780 now...you can save

75$ waiting a year for an 870 or go balls out and get a titan black wich should compare fairly well to the new 880 except for power consumption...oh and the 870

will probably ship with 3gb of VRAM and the 880 probably 4gb.

I really like your speculation. But the thing is, these pieces of information, whether it is about TSMC unable to provide 20nm production, or that NVIDIA is forced to redesign with 28nm architecture instead, are all just unofficial statements, or rumors posted on the website. TSMC latest official statement is that they have been ramping up 20nm production since december 2013, and this statement was made last year. In a nutshell, NOTHING is confirmed to point out that the launch of the new cards will be delayed, the same way it is confirmed that the new cards will be launching soon. Nothing is solid at all, it could be launching next month, the month after, or even Q1 2015 as you have previously stated. This is just my idea though... but I did like your thinking on product placements in terms of performance/ prices. It should deviate much from those.

Get crossfire or sli with current generation. As I learned in the past that my friends 2x480's over powered a single 680 2 gens ahead.

I believe future proofing a rig comes with dual GPUs

Nah, even with today's improvements, I still don't want to bet my money on dual GPU solutions, it is still unable to deliver solid, reliable performance like a single GPU card. Better to just get the highest-end single GPU solutions.

I really like your speculation. But the thing is, these pieces of information, whether it is about TSMC unable to provide 20nm production, or that NVIDIA is forced to redesign with 28nm architecture instead, are all just unofficial statements, or rumors posted on the website. TSMC latest official statement is that they have been ramping up 20nm production since december 2013, and this statement was made last year. In a nutshell, NOTHING is confirmed to point out that the launch of the new cards will be delayed, the same way it is confirmed that the new cards will be launching soon. Nothing is solid at all, it could be launching next month, the month after, or even Q1 2015 as you have previously stated. This is just my idea though... but I did like your thinking on product placements in terms of performance/ prices. It should deviate much from those.

Nah, even with today's improvements, I still don't want to bet my money on dual GPU solutions, it is still unable to deliver solid, reliable performance like a single GPU card. Better to just get the highest-end single GPU solutions.

Its actually the games them selves that struggle with performing under crossfire/sli. thats what i was told about getting 2 x r9 280s so i got one r9 290. But i still feel its not enough

• Laptop: MSI GF65 + 16GB + 1.2TB + 2060 GTX + i7 9750H Display: 24" LG Ultra Gear 144hz Keyboard: Logitech G213 Mouse: Corsair Harpoon Sound Card: Traktor Kontrol S2 MK2 Speakers: Behringer CR4-X Other: Gaomon Graphics Tablet COOLING: Thermaltake Massive S14 Laptop Cooler

Well, your idea is right, what "proof" do we have? It's just rumors based on rumors, that always happens with new tech. That's why I like to speculate based on how I see the actual market, how they're selling currently? is there a direct competitor in the way? But of course, again, those are just opinions. I like this thread... none of that doomsday apocalypse rumors lol

Nvidia will release them when they see fit, at least from my part, I'm not waiting. :)

Its actually the games them selves that struggle with performing under crossfire/sli. thats what i was told about getting 2 x r9 280s so i got one r9 290. But i still feel its not enough

Well then why didn't you go for the highest-end, the 290x? Or even better, the GTX 780 or the GTX 780Ti? There are just too much fluctuations in FPS in dual GPU set ups I think, single GPU setups will never give you this problem, at least a lot less. It's not about pushing for the highest FPS, what matters is the min FPS your system can churn out.

Well, your idea is right, what "proof" do we have? It's just rumors based on rumors, that always happens with new tech. That's why I like to speculate based on how I see the actual market, how they're selling currently? is there a direct competitor in the way? But of course, again, those are just opinions. I like this thread... none of that doomsday apocalypse rumors lol

Nvidia will release them when they see fit, at least from my part, I'm not waiting. :)

Yes, I totally agree with you for not waiting. What I should have done was to get the GTX 780 right when it came out. If I did, I would have already been getting my money's worth by now. The thing is, I waited back then.. up until now, because I didn't see much improvement from the 600 series. Maybe just holding out for the best may not be the best option. Just because the manufacturer's has screwed you once, doesn't mean they could screw you twice... or even thrice.. or maybe i'm just having a brain fart...

So wait, are you saying you have pulled the trigger on a hi-end build, with something like 780 or the 290x? If so, we are in a very similar situation.

So wait, are you saying you have pulled the trigger on a hi-end build, with something like 780 or the 290x? If so, we are in a very similar situation.

Not yet, I will pull the trigger just after the Computex event, I'm going to build with whatever is out by then. However in my case I have no gaming PC, I had to sell mine months ago.  :) I'm using an old laptop while I'm earning my money. :P

What would suck is a month or 2 after the 880 is released they put out the dual GPU 890.

What would suck is a month or 2 after the 880 is released they put out the dual GPU 890.

The chances of that happening bro are almost zero.