is 500 Watts really enough for an RTX 3060 as long as it's a quality psu?

GorujoCY
Go to solution Solved by GorujoCY,

Marking the solution for future potential consumers! I'm getting the RM550x it seems...

However if you are in a tighter budget for some reason, 500 watts should be fine as long as it's a quality PSU and you don't have other power hungry components...

I'm planning to use this Seasonic GM-500 https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90778302 for a Ryzen 5 5600 and RTX 3060 build, one of the problems is that im planning to heavily overlock it (approx. 200/1200 to 250/1250) since im going to use an ROG Strix version, so maybe safer to go with a 550W unit for that reason?

I checked in the tier list and the GM seems to be on Tier b (16.0b by Cultists network), should it be safe even from overlcoking? Techpowerup tested the GX lineup and the OPP triggers to 145% (seems to be a similar unit but non-modular), don't know how dangerous that would be but if it's capable I guess sure?

anyways im just looking at the safest approach between a quality 500 Watts or resort to 550 Watts or higher (and no, no F-word yet guys [F u t u r e p r o o f i n g])

Edited by GorujoCY

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

17 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

I'm planning to use this Seasonic GM-500 https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90778302 for a Ryzen 5 5600 and RTX 3060 build, one of the problems is that im planning to heavily overlock it (approx. 200/1200 to 250/1250) since im going to use an ROG Strix version, so maybe safer to go with a 550W unit for that

I checked in the tier list and the GM seems to be on Tier A (16.0b by Cultists network), should it be safe even from overlcoking? Techpowerup tested the GX lineup and the OPP and OCP trigger to around 145%, dk how dangerous that would be but if it's capable I guess sure?

anyways im just looking at the safest approach betweena quality 500 Watts or resort to 550 Watts or higher (and no, no F-word yet guys [F u t u r e p r o o f i n g])

If it’s an atx3.0 PSU, I would suspect so.  They changed the spec on PSUs just for that. They are supposed to handle transient spikes now.  If it’s NOT an atx3.0 PSU (which means anything other than brand new, and sometimes then) it becomes iffy.

that word only really applied when the PS5 was brand new, and only for gaming.  The ps5 isn’t brand new anymore.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Definitely enough even for overclocking, but looking at recent trends with GPU power consumption don't you think it's better to get something on the beefier side? 650W of the same model is only 5 euros more on that page. https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90778303

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Depends on the wattage load of your other components, but I wouldn't do it. I see 450W gaming with a 3060ti and 5900X. Granted, the 5900X is a power hog, but I personally wouldn't like the peak load being that close to peak output. I think you'd be better off with a 650W-750W.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

23 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Definitely enough even for overclocking, but looking at recent trends with GPU power consumption don't you think it's better to get something on the beefier side? 650W of the same model is only 5 euros more on that page. https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90778303

One of my problems also is that I prefer semi modular or fully modular, so I guess GQ 650 or RM650 then? (forgot to mention that, sorry)

Edited by GorujoCY

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

7 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Depends on the wattage load of your other components, but I wouldn't do it. I see 450W gaming with a 3060ti and 5900X. Granted, the 5900X is a power hog, but I personally wouldn't like the peak load being that close to peak output. I think you'd be better off with a 650W-750W.

that would be a 92mm cpu cooler fan (though that draws little power, also just skipping on stock cooler really so that's the reasoning and so 0.06A is nothing for the rated fan), 2 140mm fans, and so far 2 8GB DDR4 Modules and an NVME SSD, im sure not much of a load the most hungry one in the build will be the RTX 3060 so far

My PC

17 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

My Dell G5 has a 460W PSU for an Intel Core i7 9700 and an RTX 2060 with a HDD. I couldn't manage to trip the OCP or OPP even with Prime95 running causing 170W on the CPU and FurMark making the GPU go to its 160W.

Yes.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

33 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

the GM seems to be on Tier A (16.0b by Cultists network),

That's Seasonic Focus, not Core. Core is Tier B speculative but for a 3060 a Seasonic Core should be fine.

26 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

so I guess GQ 650 or RM650 then

GQ has a bit outdated ACRF platform. RM650 is way, way better.

8 hours ago, --SID-- said:

That's Seasonic Focus, not Core. Core is Tier B speculative but for a 3060 a Seasonic Core should be fine.

oh right my bad, it is the core gm not focus, thanks for the clarification and answer will consider

Edited by GorujoCY

My PC

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

GQ has a bit outdated ACRF platform. RM650 is way, way better.

yeah I've read about it on the forums/reviews which is why I've avoided it but I thought even though overkill in wattage, might be enough so yeah, I agree for 90 cents more than the core gx (and 10 more euros from the GM-500), RM650 is a good alternative (though the price is sale price for the rm650 but not bad too), though considering I'm using a small atx mid tower, this PSU Might lead me to taking off the drive bay but hopefully not (be quiet pure base 500, makes up for it's 140mm exhaust fan and one for intake and has both side vents so it has a fair enough breathability)...

Edited by GorujoCY

My PC

24 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

My Dell G5 has a 460W PSU for an Intel Core i7 9700 and an RTX 2060 with a HDD. I couldn't manage to trip the OCP or OPP even with Prime95 running causing 170W on the CPU and FurMark making the GPU go to its 160W.

That's probably about 350W max though. You probably were still 100+W off of peak output, which I would find acceptable. When you're within 50W or 10% of peak, I start questioning it.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Just now, --SID-- said:

This link 

leads me to a Seasonic Core.

exactly what im looking for no worries, willing to spend around 80 or less for a psu (so perhaps 60-80), especially for 80+ gold rated and semi or fully modular ones

My PC

35 minutes ago, DreamCat04 said:

Well of corse not that’s 9th gen and no amphere.  No transient issue there

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, STELDR said:

RTX 3060 recommended PSU is 550 Watt PSU. 

Yeah.  Which means if you don’t have an atx3.0 PSU you need 650w, maybe 600,  if you do though 500 isn’t undoable.  Not something I’d be willing to bet on, but it’s doable

Edited by Bombastinator

2 hours ago, GorujoCY said:

exactly what im looking for no worries, willing to spend around 80 or less for a psu (so perhaps 60-80), especially for 80+ gold rated and semi or fully modular ones

For about €80 the following PSUs are worth to buy and better than Seasonic Core.

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90773213

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90803642

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90769316

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90831366

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90732828

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90819825

13 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Seems like the Corsair RM550X is a shy of 5 euros more than the Seasonic Core GM, I would like to but those EVGAs at the same price but it seems like they are telling me that the date delivery is unknown so I cannot order them unfortunately but thanks anyways!

Edit: I'm worried about Space PSU Bay on the case though for the PSU, will it fit well on the be quiet pure base 500 or am I gonna be needed to remove the hard drive cage? Because I think the size kinda insists on that and it's ehy I'm considering more on the bulk part of 140mm like the Core

My PC

2 hours ago, GorujoCY said:

be quiet pure base 500

PSU clearance is 258mm so none of the recommanded PSUs is an issue.

2 hours ago, --SID-- said:

PSU clearance is 258mm so none of the recommanded PSUs is an issue.

Yeah Had to download the datasheet weirdly to find that out, the clearance is 225 to 258mm so yeah enough clearance for such PSUs, thanks!

My PC

Marking the solution for future potential consumers! I'm getting the RM550x it seems...

However if you are in a tighter budget for some reason, 500 watts should be fine as long as it's a quality PSU and you don't have other power hungry components...

My PC

1 hour ago, GorujoCY said:

If that PSU is atx3.0 it should work fine for you. I was told once that Corsair rm was not considered a very good PSU, but I have no data other than that one comment.

Edited by Bombastinator

Get a tier A it doesn't need to be ATX 3.0.  The 3060 isn't going to have a huge power draw I believe I use something like 200W max on a 5600g/3060 machine I have.  Any modern tier A will handle the spikes.

EDIT: I did voltage tuning on both the CPU and GPU probably why it maxes about 200W.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

8 hours ago, ewitte said:

Get a tier A it doesn't need to be ATX 3.0.  The 3060 isn't going to have a huge power draw I believe I use something like 200W max on a 5600g/3060 machine I have.  Any modern tier A will handle the spikes.

EDIT: I did voltage tuning on both the CPU and GPU probably why it maxes about 200W.

It isn’t about draw it’s about transient spikes and keeping them from tripping OCP.  The atx3.0 requirement just demands that PSUs be able to handle those.  This is why the difference.  And why it might be possible that a really good quality 500w PSU might be just fine.  A 500w PSU would normally be used on a machine that draws maybe 300w in a stress test but normally does around 250w under load. Much less if not under load. The problem is that double thing won’t cover the tansient spikes anymore even though it used to.

Edited by Bombastinator