Corsair HX1200W Platinum vs RTX 4090 - fry or good?

Rym
Go to solution Solved by Rym,

According to Corsair, The HX1200 is compatible with the 40 series requirements.

Source: https://www.corsair.com/newsroom/press-release/ready-to-go-beyond-fast-corsair-announces-compatibility-for-nvidia-40-series-graphics-cards

This probably has no answer since no one even has the GPU to test the PSU with it, and those who do are probably still under NDA, buuuuut.

It looks like the new RTX 4090 poses a problem for older PSUs, the problem being the adapter cable literally burning or being a fire hazard and it being extremely fragile to boot.

I have a Corsair HX 1200W Platinum PSU which I bought after looking at my options for a good PSU on LTT, I think this one was among the "best units in tier".

Honestly, I bought it speficially to buy a flagship new model, in this case the RTX 4090.

Do you think the new GPU could cause PSU failure in some way, or fry the entire system? Do I really need a new PSU entirely to be compatible with RTX 4090 for me to use the GPU? Or does it not really matter and the 16 pin adapter is just super fragile and needs to be bent as little as possible as it's connecter and stays connected to the GPU?

I'm not entirely sure what causes this new adapter to literally burn or be a fire hazard, but I'm guessing it's drawing too much over 150W per 8-pin cable on non ATX 3.0 PSUs?

How many VGA PCI-E Cables does it come with. It should at minimum come with 3, but may require 4 for some AIB partner cards.

If it does, youll be fine, as its just a connector. If it doesnt, you may be SOL if you only have 3 and it needs 4.

1 hour ago, Rym said:

This probably has no answer since no one even has the GPU to test the PSU with it, and those who do are probably still under NDA, buuuuut.

It looks like the new RTX 4090 poses a problem for older PSUs, the problem being the adapter cable literally burning or being a fire hazard and it being extremely fragile to boot.

I have a Corsair HX 1200W Platinum PSU which I bought after looking at my options for a good PSU on LTT, I think this one was among the "best units in tier".

Honestly, I bought it speficially to buy a flagship new model, in this case the RTX 4090.

Do you think the new GPU could cause PSU failure in some way, or fry the entire system? Do I really need a new PSU entirely to be compatible with RTX 4090 for me to use the GPU? Or does it not really matter and the 16 pin adapter is just super fragile and needs to be bent as little as possible as it's connecter and stays connected to the GPU?

I'm not entirely sure what causes this new adapter to literally burn or be a fire hazard, but I'm guessing it's drawing too much over 150W per 8-pin cable on non ATX 3.0 PSUs?

Not really about adapter cable, but the new ATX3.0 12VHPWR terminal. (Screenshot below)

Which to me means it could happen on PSU side, GPU side, or both.

Based on the report, seems the more cycle the connector been through, and the more extreme of a bend it's cable suffers reduces it's durability/increase risk by a lot.
( Cycle = Replugging )

The test was done with a 3cm bend radius.

In fairness, IIRC molex connector cycle limit is all same.
Just that this case is about 600w (50A) power draw.

PCIsig.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.