I accidentally bought a membrane keyboard....

GrandFatMan

So, me being an absent minded fool, I accidently went and bought a Corsair k55 RGB Pro, in replacement of my aukey kmg3 with blue switches. And, I feel so absolutley disgusted that, I think I prefer it. It was expensive for a membrane keyboard but, I didn't know. I got it out of the pack, typed for a bit, and went "ooh, I like these keyswitches" and pulled off a keycap to see what colour the stem was. And I was heartbroken to find out it was a membrane keyboard. Then I thought to myself, does it matter if I like how it feels? It's much more comfy to type on. 

I got mixed up because I was looking at a different model and picked up the wrong box in store. But I thought i'd try it to see if I liked it. It made me think, maybe we have this perception that "X is better than Y because Z person said so" and I've tried and used a lot of keyboards. I really like this one. 

Thanks for coming to my ted talk. 

It's almost as mechanical keyboards aren't the be all and end all of keyboards! I personally find them disgusting to type on, give me a chiclet-laptop style keyboard any day of the week. 

I have a Logitech K270 on one of my PCs, quite literally the cheapest wireless keyboard from a reputable manufacturer, and... I actually like it. The keys are wobbly AF, it creaks when you breathe near it, and it has so much deck flex, but it's so comfortable to type on.

Plus, I know it sounds stupid, but I feel like I work harder when I'm using a cheap membrane keyboard, it brings back memories of being at school using those crappy Dell and HP keyboards, sitting in the library trying to get homework done 5 minutes before it's due!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

5 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

It's almost as mechanical keyboards aren't the be all and end all of keyboards! I personally find them disgusting to type on, give me a chiclet-laptop style keyboard any day of the week. 

I have a Logitech K270 on one of my PCs, quite literally the cheapest wireless keyboard from a reputable manufacturer, and... I actually like it. The keys are wobbly AF, it creaks when you breathe near it, and it has so much deck flex, but it's so comfortable to type on.

Plus, I know it sounds stupid, but I feel like I work harder when I'm using a cheap membrane keyboard, it brings back memories of being at school using those crappy Dell and HP keyboards, sitting in the library trying to get homework done 5 minutes before it's due!

Exactly this. 

I am actually really liking it. I LOVE low profile laptop keyboards for typing. But I think this membrane is my new favorite and that's weird to say.

4 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I personally find them disgusting to type on, give me a chiclet-laptop style keyboard any day of the week

i also agree with you

Mechanical is just too damn loud for me and the feel is kinda off, and if i really want a keyboard that doesnt need much key travel to register an input just buy a damn thin laptop keyboard, you aint gonna use the extra key travel so may aswell just remove it entirely

4 minutes ago, GrandFatMan said:

Exactly this. 

I am actually really liking it. I LOVE low profile laptop keyboards for typing. But I think this membrane is my new favorite and that's weird to say.

My brother has the K55, and it's a perfectly solid keyboard. I wouldn't personally choose it, but compared to my other brother's fancy Corsair mechanical something-or-other keyboard, it's a dream to type on.

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

i also agree with you

Mechanical is just too damn loud for me and the feel is kinda off, and if i really want a keyboard that doesnt need much key travel to register an input just buy a damn thin laptop keyboard, you aint gonna use the extra key travel so may aswell just remove it entirely

Extra key travel is just inefficient, I find I can type so much faster on my laptops than I can on any desktop keyboard, even a chiclet style one.

My main keyboard is a Logitech K780, and it's my favourite keyboard I've found so far. I'd really like to try the MX Keys, but I just can't justify that price when there's really nothing wrong with my K780.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

Mechanical keyboards are almost a bit of a meme. So far one of my favorite keyboards to type on is a Logitech MX Keys, which is a normie low-profile membrane keyboard. Granted I do still want to get some nicer switches for my G Pro X to see what it's like, but I feel like I'll ultimately end up gravitating back to this keyboard.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Personal preference, but as someone who bottom out keys when typing/gaming mechanical keyboards are a must. I’ve messed up a membrane keyboard from typing too hard lol. Chicklet keyboards are terrible for me as well, bottoming out keys are always a pain in sometimes lol.

Maybe you need to stop fingering them so hard! You gotta be gentle

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

6 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Mechanical keyboards are almost a bit of a meme. So far one of my favorite keyboards to type on is a Logitech MX Keys, which is a normie low-profile membrane keyboard. Granted I do still want to get some nicer switches for my G Pro X to see what it's like, but I feel like I'll ultimately end up gravitating back to this keyboard.

I feel like there's a reason most prebuilts/AIOs come with chiclet style keyboards now, normies just prefer them.

Plus, to me they just sound fancier, the same way driving down a gravel driveway sounds fancy.

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

5 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

I feel like there's a reason most prebuilts/AIOs come with chiclet style keyboards now, normies just prefer them.

Plus, to me they just sound fancier, the same way driving down a gravel driveway sounds fancy.

As a delivery driver. Gravel driveways are my mortal, sworn enemy. 

Just now, GrandFatMan said:

As a delivery driver. Gravel driveways are my mortal, sworn enemy. 

But they sounds so nice!

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

11 hours ago, yolosnail said:

They're also just stupid cheap to produce. Though that being said, some of the single worst keyboards I've touched are the ones HP has been including with their AIO PCs. They genuinely feel like the kind of toy you'd give your child if you didn't like them.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Agree with OP.  Membrane keyboards have a bad rap because of gatekeeping elitism.  Maybe 20 years ago there was a pretty big performance gulf between membrane and mechanical.  Those days are gone.

Moreover, membrane keyboards usually provide all of the desired tactile and auditory traits--out of the box--without having to research down the rabbit hole of key switches.  I personally prefer silent red's because they have similar characteristics to membrane--albeit with an undoubtedly longer lifespan.

That's why I cringe whenever I see yet another "I need a mechanical keyboard for <$100 or <$50" thread on here.  Because chances are that a good membrane keyboard will suit this user sublimely--and they're simply asking for the moon because they don't know better.  Gatekeeping elitism is to blame for that. 

16 minutes ago, lw88 said:

Isn't it just the same kind of reactionary/contrarian elitism to imply that people don't actually want a mechanical keyboard, if only they knew the joyous wonders of your particular rubber dome keyboard?

I owned both a niz and topre rubber dome with slider over capacitive that were amazing to type and game on. The topre even let me change the actuation point with the press of a button if I was feeling like I wanted to type lighter that day. Mechanical is just different, not better. It's literally all preference.

You might try a buckling spring one day and think you were being silly insisting that anything else would ever have been as good.

Disagree.  Because membrane is the style that is the "Default" that ships "free" when you get a KB bundled with something.  The only reason why so many want a mechanical is because elitists have convinced them that's the way to go--as though "default mechanisms" aren't good enough.

12 minutes ago, lw88 said:

Yeah your opinion is objective fact.

Cool story.

Well that's one way to take a discussion to being directly combative.  Rock on with yo bad self.

On 9/22/2022 at 7:07 PM, GrandFatMan said:

So, me being an absent minded fool, I accidently went and bought a Corsair k55 RGB Pro, in replacement of my aukey kmg3 with blue switches. And, I feel so absolutley disgusted that, I think I prefer it. It was expensive for a membrane keyboard but, I didn't know. I got it out of the pack, typed for a bit, and went "ooh, I like these keyswitches" and pulled off a keycap to see what colour the stem was. And I was heartbroken to find out it was a membrane keyboard. Then I thought to myself, does it matter if I like how it feels? It's much more comfy to type on. 

I got mixed up because I was looking at a different model and picked up the wrong box in store. But I thought i'd try it to see if I liked it. It made me think, maybe we have this perception that "X is better than Y because Z person said so" and I've tried and used a lot of keyboards. I really like this one. 

Membrane keyboards aren't necessarily bad. I would honestly prefer a good membrane over any keyboard with a cherry brown or blue. As membranes are actually tactile. It's all preference. I myself when building keyboards go after switches with a pretty hard aggressive bump at the start with no pre travel feeling like a very good membrane. 

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

Membrane keyboards aren't necessarily bad. I would honestly prefer a good membrane over any keyboard with a cherry brown or blue. As membranes are actually tactile. It's all preference. I myself when building keyboards go after switches with a pretty hard aggressive bump at the start with no pre travel feeling like a very good membrane. 

I have a membrane right here next to my linear (mx silent red) and there is a bump to it.  For tactile users, I can certainly understand it being more than up to the task.

7 hours ago, IPD said:

I have a membrane right here next to my linear (mx silent red) and there is a bump to it.  For tactile users, I can certainly understand it being more than up to the task.

The reason a membrane keyboard lover should go with a good tactile switch like a boba u4ts , a panda switch, or something like the Anubis I feel is if you wanted to go get a nice tactile feel that's long lasting , and consistent sounding and feeling from switch to switch. A mech also has generally better build quality and if you spend money like I do on keyboards youc an even start customizing the flexibility. t's really no secret that membrane keyboards fall apart and don't really last as long. And as someone that loves tactiles and linears cherry's tactile and clicky switches feel more lienar than most tactiles on the market.

8 hours ago, rice guru said:

The reason a membrane keyboard lover should go with a good tactile switch like a boba u4ts , a panda switch, or something like the Anubis I feel is if you wanted to go get a nice tactile feel that's long lasting , and consistent sounding and feeling from switch to switch. A mech also has generally better build quality and if you spend money like I do on keyboards youc an even start customizing the flexibility. t's really no secret that membrane keyboards fall apart and don't really last as long. And as someone that loves tactiles and linears cherry's tactile and clicky switches feel more lienar than most tactiles on the market.

Funny.  Durability and longevity of use are the same reason I tell people to buy a proper office chair rather than a cheap POS gaming chair--and yet people still don't listen.  And that's an item that has FAR, FAR bigger difference in user experience--than membrane vs mechanical.

I guess they can justify the cost for a keyboard---but not for what goes under their butt.  If you were willing to spend 3x-5x the cost for a stupid keyboard that may or may not even be justifiably needed....why aren't you willing to spend even 2x to get a chair that doesn't torture you after a mere 6 months?  PC gamers are a weird lot.

4 hours ago, IPD said:

Funny.  Durability and longevity of use are the same reason I tell people to buy a proper office chair rather than a cheap POS gaming chair--and yet people still don't listen.  And that's an item that has FAR, FAR bigger difference in user experience--than membrane vs mechanical.

I guess they can justify the cost for a keyboard---but not for what goes under their butt.  If you were willing to spend 3x-5x the cost for a stupid keyboard that may or may not even be justifiably needed....why aren't you willing to spend even 2x to get a chair that doesn't torture you after a mere 6 months?  PC gamers are a weird lot.

Yeah they are. I do the same thing. And even for mechanical keyboards gamers will spend $200 on a gaming mechanical keyboard with their brand loyalty but if they just went with another product they can get something enthusiast grade and higher quality. I have a nice office chair as well as have quality peripherals to go along with my PC. Keyboards.to me are a hobby though I enjoy building them and a nice chair is essential that my back is fucked in old age

On 9/22/2022 at 7:07 PM, GrandFatMan said:

I personally am a mechanical keyboard nerd, but I prefer laptop keyboards for typing

If you really like this membrane, a topre would be a godsend, looking to get one myself 🙂

10 hours ago, pixxel-latte said:

I personally am a mechanical keyboard nerd, but I prefer laptop keyboards for typing

If you really like this membrane, a topre would be a godsend, looking to get one myself 🙂

Ditto. If I'm on the move and need to type I really don't mind having to type on a laptop keyboard. Hated as they were, I actually find the butterfly keyboards of the 2015-2019 MacBooks to be one of the best typing experiences I've had. Although I think that's only because mine hasn't failed me yet. *touches wood*

What Topre board are you considering?

19 hours ago, Ominous said:

Ditto. If I'm on the move and need to type I really don't mind having to type on a laptop keyboard. Hated as they were, I actually find the butterfly keyboards of the 2015-2019 MacBooks to be one of the best typing experiences I've had. Although I think that's only because mine hasn't failed me yet. *touches wood*

What Topre board are you considering?

I'd love to get my hands on a Leopold FC660C. I love the layout and I know their boards are made extremely well.

I might set my mech aside for a while if I had a topre on my desk 🙂

17 hours ago, pixxel-latte said:

I'd love to get my hands on a Leopold FC660C. I love the layout and I know their boards are made extremely well.

I might set my mech aside for a while if I had a topre on my desk 🙂

I have an FC660M with MX Reds and I love it. If I could get an FC660C in ISO I would buy one in a heartbeat but I don't think they make them anymore 😞