Expand soundbar with more speakers? Looking to have more speakers on my audio setup.

FRD

After years of using a PC surround sound set with 4 speakers, recently I finally upgraded to a soundbar for my TV.

On the upside the sound overall is a lot better, on the downside my PC speakers had better bass. I got a soundbar with built-in subwoofer.

It has 1 HDMI in, no HDMI out. Currently I'm using it on AUX, because my TV does not have ARC. Optical is another possibility.

Now I'm looking to have some back speakers as well. How to do this?

Can I still use my PC speakers and the soundbar together? If so, how to hook it up?

As for buying speakers. Which sets are compatible? What do you recommend? And same question, how do I connect it?

Since I'm not really an expert at audio stuff, tell me how it actually works.

I do see certain brand soundbars and speaker sets that are made to be connected to each other as 1 set. I just wonder if any set can be connected with each other if connected properly.

Final note, I can still return the soundbar and spend more on a complete surround sound set. This soundbar was just under $100 anyway.

It would help to know what kind of connections the soundbar and your PC setup has--other than just your line-in.  RCA plugs?  Bare wire clamps?  Dedicated receiver?  Do you mean "rear" by "back speakers"?

If you're just looking for a cheap and effective 5.1 setup--and in the ballpark of what you paid for the soundbar--then the Logitech Z606 is a solid pick.  Add a spool of speaker wire (for longer runs if the rears require it), and a couple wire nuts, and you have a solid system that should check all the boxes.  You should also probably get some speaker stands for the FR, FL, RR, RL speakers--but it's not mandatory.  I have this exact setup in my den for my 110" projector setup--and spent <$200 including the cost of 2 stand pairs.  And It works with the soundbar in my projector as a center fill.

On 9/18/2022 at 10:11 PM, IPD said:

It would help to know what kind of connections the soundbar and your PC setup has--other than just your line-in.  RCA plugs?  Bare wire clamps?  Dedicated receiver?  Do you mean "rear" by "back speakers"?

If you're just looking for a cheap and effective 5.1 setup--and in the ballpark of what you paid for the soundbar--then the Logitech Z606 is a solid pick.  Add a spool of speaker wire (for longer runs if the rears require it), and a couple wire nuts, and you have a solid system that should check all the boxes.  You should also probably get some speaker stands for the FR, FL, RR, RL speakers--but it's not mandatory.  I have this exact setup in my den for my 110" projector setup--and spent <$200 including the cost of 2 stand pairs.  And It works with the soundbar in my projector as a center fill.

Okay, my soundbar has HDMI with ARC, 3.5mm/AUX, Optical, Bluetooth, USB. No HDMI out, only in.

My PC speaker system is old, but uses 3.5mm to the TV right now. It has optical too, but I could never try it as my optical cable was defect (or the port is). Speakers are connected with RCA cables and a bunch of splitters and 2, 3-way extensions.

Yes, with rear speakers I mean back speakers. It's my goal to have sound from the back as well.

The Logitech Z606 looks solid and costs $110 on sale right now. Only thing concerning me is that it's a PC speaker set, not exactly made for TVs. It does show a picture of TV on Logitech's site though. Sounds nice and fairly simple.

Can I combine it to work with my soundbar? How would I go for connecting it?

That would depend on the soundbar.  If there's a 3.5mm out, you should be able to test with your existing speakers to see if they will work together.  If the soundbar only has inputs and no outputs, then you're kinda hosed--no matter what you go with.

So if there's no outputs, the workaround would be to take the AUX signal and put it directly to the Z606 and then you'd need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Fancasee-Replacement-3-5mm-Connector-Repair/dp/B07Y8JBMY2/

You'd use this as the 3.5mm IN for your soundbar, and then the bare wire end would connect to the CENTER channel of your z606 (either alone, or in addition to the center speaker that the z606 comes with).

Thanks for the advice and workaround.

Unfortunately the soundbar only has inputs, no outputs. That's probably normal for what you get with a not too expensive soundbar.

I do like the Z606 set, but since it's a PC set it only has 3.5mm, RCA and Bluetooth. No more modern connectivity like HDMI or Optical. That puts me off a bit.

I might just want to get a soundbar set with rear speakers, yet it's going to cost me more. Kind of on the fence right now as nothing is ideal for me so far. Thanks anyway, I will still consider your advice.

As I said, it's an entry-level 5.1 setup.  If you're new to surround sound (Not even touching ATMOS here)--the tricks you can do with individual audio channels are going to be almost a non-issue; the real benefit is simply having sound at 4 corners and front/center.

And remember that HDMI/Optical are still only as good as the material source.  Stereo coming through 3.5mm is the same as stereo coming through HDMI (analog/digital signal differences aside).

Tell us what model it is for starters. Some can have surrounds and some can't.

Easiest solution to guarantee and also satisfy your bass needs is a av receiver with speakers and a subwoofer.

I highly recommend av receiver over soundbars for many reasons and sound quality is the nimber one reason. 

And another thing. You cannot under any circumstances add any random speakers or subwoofer to any soundbar. The systems are proprietary and are exclusively designed to work with the one system only.

There are serious limitations on these systems and this is a formal warning of do your research before you buy.

And no the sound quality is not in the same league as a av receiver. 

On 9/18/2022 at 10:00 AM, FRD said:

After years of using a PC surround sound set with 4 speakers, recently I finally upgraded to a soundbar for my TV.

On the upside the sound overall is a lot better, on the downside my PC speakers had better bass. I got a soundbar with built-in subwoofer.

It has 1 HDMI in, no HDMI out. Currently I'm using it on AUX, because my TV does not have ARC. Optical is another possibility.

Now I'm looking to have some back speakers as well. How to do this?

Can I still use my PC speakers and the soundbar together? If so, how to hook it up?

As for buying speakers. Which sets are compatible? What do you recommend? And same question, how do I connect it?

Since I'm not really an expert at audio stuff, tell me how it actually works.

I do see certain brand soundbars and speaker sets that are made to be connected to each other as 1 set. I just wonder if any set can be connected with each other if connected properly.

Final note, I can still return the soundbar and spend more on a complete surround sound set. This soundbar was just under $100 anyway.

Without knowing the model of your Soundbar, we literally cannot tell you whether you can expand the speaker count or not.

Most likely, you cannot (based on your description of inputs and outputs). Some Soundbars have upgradable wireless rear speakers (or even an upgradable Sub), but many do not.

If the Soundbar didn't come with speaker outputs or wireless connections, it cannot be expanded.

IMO, I would return (or sell, if you cannot return) the Soundbar and buy one that has the features you want. Either buy a complete 5.1 AV HT package (it should include 5 speakers, the sub, and an entry-level AV receiver), or buy a Soundbar that is explicitly upgradable with rear speakers and a sub (or just buy a Soundbar that already has these as a package).

Note: You're gonna spend more than $100.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)