Have you ever had a problem with an ASUS warranty/repair?

I bought an XG17AHPE portable monitor, it was great while it lasted, but one night it just refused to charge or power on anymore. I got my repair going and everything, but it seems like the repair tech is trained to look for reasons to deny a warranty.

Lucky for me I posted pictures of the monitor the day I got it, and there were already 2 little dents on the speaker grill on both sides of it seen here:

They are claiming Consumer Incurred Damage (CID) as a reason to deny the repair and are trying to charge me $160 for the repair of the dents as far as I can tell as power/charging isn't listed anywhere in the invoice they sent. It seems to me they are trying to find reasons to make more money and deny repairs for unrelated issues. It would be like if a fan hub in a case died, but they wanted to charge you to repair a slightly damaged front panel instead.

Going to chat with them tomorrow, but has anyone else experienced terrible warranty repair service from ASUS?

Twitter.jpg

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Yeah i have an ASUS ROG Laptop from 2012, and i had gone through Squaretrade since i bought it on amazon, and the rep for them said ASUS was one of the most challenging to get repairs for quickly. I had two MOBOs fail on it, 3 Charging port failures (i only learned after that it was actually one of the easiest things to fix as its a  plug and play barrel connector board), and the last one was sent out in like 2015, then i had gotten a desktop at the end of the year during college. After i had learned how to repair stuff on my own, and after the warranty was over, i just  repaired stuff on my own. 

Warranties are pretty much useless for these companies because if they can try finding an out, they will to avoid actually fixing it. They would much rather pay fines and such then repair stuff because in the end that still costs much less then the fixing or trying to charge  $$$ for stuff that should not matter.

Don't even get me started about Acer out of warranty repairs....

Or Dell warranty repairs.

The one company I've never had a problem with was HP. 

Just now, BiotechBen said:

Don't even get me started about Acer out of warranty repairs....

Mine is in warranty lol, this monitor is less than a year old, I just want to try and get ASUS store credit at this point because I'm pretty sure it's going to break again.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Yes! I have had the WORST time with them recently over my not even 8 month old asus tuf gaming x570-pro wifi atx motherboard that I bought from asus.com. I have spoken to 13 different it tech support people, been jerked around, lied to, numerous times, had the issue blamed on me, tried to be talked into their advance replacement service where they were trying to get me to pay 80% as a hold deposit when i was more than willing to send it to them beforehand after it fried itself, one of my 2 installed memory kits and absolutely fried my processor so badly that my cpu and copper heatplate for my cooler had scorch marks on it. Now they want to buy my motherboard back! This is after I sent my motherboard in to be "fixed" by their repair service ha! They killed my b1 and b2 memory slots, all 4 of my sata ports are barely operational, my second m.2 nvme slot is non operational and to top it all off, they warped the bottom left side where the screw hole is so now the board doesn't sit flush!! Linus and crew from tech tips, I need help to choose a new brand of motherboard for my ryzen 7 3700x and trident Z 3200 ddr 4 dram

Edited by Smaug12132013
I forgot to add additional information

knock on wood I've not had to make a warranty claim with ASUS, which is good bc I went ASUS crazy on my recent build. Maybe they spend a lot of time and money up front on QA/QC so they think warranty claims should be minimized. Unfortunately, reps are incentivized to reduce and eliminate claims. These jerks claim impact damage if they see a finger nail scratch it seems. ASUS is not alone.

I've only had one company just accept their products aren't perfect and shipped replacements without interrogation (Corsair). I'll give Elgato a nod as well bc they spent a lot of personal time actually reading the emails and trying to figure out the issue with my web cam and resolved it, surprisingly.

What shocks me about ASUS is just how bad and user unfriendly their software is. Why do I need to upgrade the firmware on my KB and mouse just to change RGB? OR EVER. It's a KB and mouse.

Sorry about your troubles. Definitely sounds like you need to make another call.

I had an Asus Z97-I plus mobo with a defect ram slot in my first build. 

No issue getting a replacement, but then again, I live in Denmark. We have pretty strict comsumer protection laws, and I only have to deal with the place I bought it, and if Asus was being difficult it would be the retailer's issue, not mine. 

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

10 hours ago, johnt said:

What shocks me about ASUS is just how bad and user unfriendly their software is. Why do I need to upgrade the firmware on my KB and mouse just to change RGB? OR EVER. It's a KB and mouse.

Oh don't get me started on Asus laptops.

So I bought a laptop second hand, battery dead, absolutely filthy. I cleaned it up, but Windows Update would not install an update because it required a charged battery to update the bios. 

So I contact Asus, and they said it was under warranty, but then when I tried to find some place to get it "repaired" during the pandemic, there was no place to send it. I asked if I could buy a battery. They said no.

I wound up ordering a third party battery off one of those sites that clearly just manufacture batteries on demand, it fit, it works, I updated the bios, and was finally able to update windows (I wound up reinstalling windows, but I couldn't even do that without updating the bios in the first place.)

I reasonably suspect the entire fTPM was the reason for the nuisance bios update to update windows.

• 1 month later...

Currently going through this now. Sent my monitor in for repair (it is still under warranty) due to a blank display issue, no splash screen, no OSD, and no signal from any devices HDMI or DisplayPort. Brought the monitor to FedEx and gave them the packing instructions that Asus provided and had FedEx pack it and ship it using the Asus provided label.

Got an invoice in my email saying that the screen is damaged and that it is CID and I will need to pay $360 for the repair and shipping... Called Asus to dispute the claim this morning... Wish me luck. 

About 5 years ago my ASUS laptop's motherboard died and asus was...relatively... quick to RMA and accept it for repair.

But last year I had my 2020 G14 laptop up and die and they wanted nothing to do with repairing it. It died days before the warranty was up -- and because I bought it from BestBuy, they absolutely required me to send it to Best Buy, but BestBuy refused to take it in due to staff issues. I then contacted their support again and the rep refused to take it in. When I tried to redirect to a supervisor, they told me the supervisor would call me back. I then got a call 2 days later in the middle of the night. They left a voicemail saying "we can not accept an RMA due to the warranty lapsing and there are NO exceptions." Then promptly hung up. I gave up at that point and bought a new laptop.

Honestly don't trust them much at this point... but I still bought a new g14 and am praying it doesn't die on me. (I really like this laptop).

3 hours ago, antonymagnus said:

Samsung is another none to friendly warranty peeples

oddly, their warranties are rock solid on SSDs. I got an SSD that had been killed by being a server cache drive, sent it in, and they gave me a brand new one. Had that happen a few times. (I am part of an organization at my college that hosts open source software mirrors)

As for my update, idk if the heat from shipping fixed it, or if it just needed to completely truly 0% discharge, but aside from random other issues I've had with the display, and having to replace it's power brick, which they thankfully just sent me a new one, the display apparently didn't need to be repaired in the first place.

Probably still never buying a portable monitor again though. The OLED ones do look really nice though...

Spoiler