SFX PSU 850w coil whine

mattdmg

Do they make any >850w SFX power supplies that don't suffer from coil whine? It seems for whatever reason when you get past 750w coil whine is painfully apparent. So my current Lian Li SP 750 750w SFX that has no coil whine needs to be upgraded to 850w and my 750w SFX PSU has no issues with noise or anything. Last month I bought an EVGA SuperNOVA 850w SFX PSU and it suffered from coil whine that was noticeably bad. Upon checking the reviews no one complained about any noise or coil whine except for people who have the 850w unit on the reviews on every site. Everyone with the 750W unit had no complaints. So I returned that EVGA PSU and I am wondering if all SFX PSUs above 750w all suffer from coil whine?

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#A=850000000000,2050000000000&th=5&sort=price&page=1

This is the entire selection of SFX PSUs above 750w. Every review I have read on every site the people with sub-850w PSUs don't complain of coil whine but every bad review for all 850w units multiple people are complaining about coil whine. Is this every unit or just selective units? It seems even the PSUs that advertise "100% Japanese capacitors" still suffer from coil whine.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cs7G3C/fsp-group-dagger-pro-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-sfx-power-supply-sda2-850

The only PSU that I couldn't find having any reviews complaining about coil whine is this one and I think that is just cause there isn't enough reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Platinum-Modular-SX1000-LPT-X/dp/B0919YY7Z6

Even this 1000w SFX PSU people complain of coil whine. If I ran this 1000w PSU with more leeway than an 850W would the coil whine be less than me running an 850w PSU balls to the wall?

I need a SFX PSU that is quiet. The rest of my system is quiet and I can audibly hear the coil whine when I play games above anything else. Even with a headset on. And I am 100% sure, when I had the 850w EVGA SFX PSU that it was coil whine and not a faulty fan.

Thats interesting, I mean i know SFX PSU's are REALLY hard to make over 850W so im not that surprised if they all have coil whine issues...but for nearly all of them to be affected by coil whine? jeez

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What parts and case?

Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini ATX Mid Tower, RTX EVGA FTW3 3080ti, 5800x, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 32GB 3200Mhz, ASUS TUF X570-PRO, Lian Li SP 750w, Samsung 970 1TB EVO Plus

4 minutes ago, mattdmg said:

Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini ATX Mid Tower, RTX EVGA FTW3 3080ti, 5800x3D, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 32GB 3200Mhz, ASUS TUF X570-PRO, Lian Li SP 750w, Samsung 970 1TB EVO Plus

My system is a 5800x (PBO Overclocked) and a 3090 @ 400W. The Corsair SF750 Platinum has handled this for nearly two years without issue and is dead silent and is generally considered to be the best of the best of high end SFX PSU's at the moment. Head over to /r/sffpc or smallformfactor.net and you'll see it used all over the place. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-sf750-psu,5979.html

The unit can deliver almost 970W of power, before it shuts down because of the over power protection's triggering. Those are lots of Watts, but  OPP is still set below 130% of the unit's max-power-output so it is ideally configured. The OCP on all rails but 3.3V is optimally set as well, since it is close or below 130%. Finally, the power ok signal is accurate, but it is lower than 16ms which is what the ATX spec requires.