Wait, what size is E-ATX?

Chiyawa

I've been browsing some motherboards and while many manufacturer did list their motherboard size as E-ATX, they're quite varied. Take MSI MEG X670E Godlike and X670E ACE for example. Both of them listed their motherboard size as E-ATX, but Godlike is wider than Ace (having board size of 12 inch by 11.35 inch compare to ACE board size of 12 inch by 10.9 inch). Hmm... Does that mean E-ATX doesn't have a define standard on sizing? I remember we used to use SSI-CEB, which is 12 inch by 10.5 inch (yeah, I know the mounting hole is not the same, the size seems to be quite common for consumer motherboards that I encountered previously).

Anyway, I think we should be more careful of the sizing. Looks like we might need a bigger case for X670E motherboard.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

According to Wikipedia, true E-ATX is 12 × 13 in (305 × 330 mm). A assume technically anything smaller than that can be considered to fall within that standard, which both of these boards are.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

*Snip

Just curious why manufacturers don't follow standard on E-ATX size. With so many sizes of E-ATX boards out there, this'll bound to confuse most consumers eventually.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

4 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Just curious why manufacturers don't follow standard on E-ATX size. With so many sizes of E-ATX boards out there, this'll bound to confuse most consumers eventually.

It don't see much of a problem if a board is a little smaller than the maximum size defined by a standard, as long as it uses compatible screw holes. It should still fit into any E-ATX compatible case.

I would see it as more of a problem if a case was marketed as E-ATX compatible but couldn't actually take full size boards.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

E-ATX is mostly used as an excuse by motherboard manufacturers to make their boards bigger than ATX, but i'd be surprised if any of the engineers have even read the -ATX spec...

IMO we should just rebadge SSI-EEB to something like "Super - ATX" and actually start enforcing standard sizes...

8 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

*Snip

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/torrent/torrent-compact/black-rgb-tg-light-tint/

Well, this is what I'm worried. As you can see, the specs stated that it fits E-ATX motherboard, but only until certain length:

image.thumb.png.3d9ddaac28ceeb4dc313c85579ade263.png

Well, imagine if like someone go all the way to Ali Express to get a cheap E-ATX case, only to find out the motherboard is too big to fit in the case just because they list the motherboard compatibility as E-ATX but without actually specify the length,,,

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

*Snip

I couldn't even find an updated ATX specs (not even Intel website). The one I can find is published at 2002, which still uses AGP and PCI slots.

But yeah, we should come up with a standard so consumer won't confuse their motherboard size and make a terrible decision of buying a case only to find out the motherboard doesn't fit well in the case. So far some just list E-ATX and with the length number beside it in a bracket. It may be confusing to some as many didn't pay attention to the number or in worst situation remember them wrongly.

annoying, thats what size it is

specifically this board is 276mm deep

a lot of cases that show support for eatx only go up to 272mm deep

trying to find cases that fit a 276mm motherboard while not being gigantic eatx towers is a pain, because if they dont list how deep the board can be, i have to go look for reviews and basically rough estimate the depth, or if they use an eatx board, try and figure out what board theyre using to see its dimensions to see if my board is the same size or smaller

but also these measurements from nobody are particularly accurate, theyre usually over estimates to keep people from pushing 1mm clearances, like the bequiet dark rock pro 4 being 165mm, it is not, its 162mm and will fit into almost any case that claims to be 160mm maximum, because its actually 165mm maximum

motherboards and cases are no different on this front

whats the best solution? buy an atx case and just figure out how to cable manage without the cable cutouts

IMG_6630.thumb.jpg.b1c46c48767c6c52689489aab6337b0a.jpg

because its not pretty but it does work

"E-ATX" does not exist in the ATX standard and is just a made-up term that manufacturers use for boards that are wider than ATX. Basically, it means whatever they want it to mean and may be different from board to board. It is not a standard.