Monitor Will Only Go Up To 95hz

Owenz

My Samsung 24" CFG73 Is a 144hz monitor and will only go up to 95hz no matter what I've tried the only options that are displayed are 50, 59 and 60hz but I've managed to boost it up to 95hz but if i go any higher my screen will go black and I have to reset my computer. I am also connected through display port and not HDMI.

• Display: Samsung 24" CFG73 
  • Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (16:9)
  • Graphics Card: GTX 1070

4 minutes ago, glenalz81 said:

Do you have an HDMI cable to try?

yea i do but that wouldn't work since i only have 1 HDMI port on my gpu and I have another monitor that uses HDMI

Displayport is faster than HDMI, so don't bother changing that. Check the settings on your monitor. I have a Samsung monitor myself (27" Curved 240hz) and in its menu I can adjust refresh rate. Otherwise change settings in GeForce Experience - that is if you have it, if you don't, download it -.  That's all advice I can give you really 

Maybe try a different cable, could be the one you have is a Reduced Bit Rate (RBR) cable. For 144 Hz you need a cable that can do at least 8 Gbps.

If you look on Wikipedia, you can see that 95 Hz is a typical limit for RBR and 1080p. You'd want at least an HBR cable.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

pretty sure its not the cable because it came with the monitor

4 minutes ago, Owenz said:

pretty sure its not the cable because it came with the monitor

That's not an excuse to not try it, that's part of troubleshooting. Try HDMI while you're at it. DDU'd the display drivers? Tried the display on another computer?

24 minutes ago, NorthsideRockinBape said:

Displayport is faster than HDMI, so don't bother changing that. Check the settings on your monitor. I have a Samsung monitor myself (27" Curved 240hz) and in its menu I can adjust refresh rate. Otherwise change settings in GeForce Experience - that is if you have it, if you don't, download it -.  That's all advice I can give you really 

It's not as clear cut as that.

I run a Pixio 95hz 1440p monitor which came with a display port cable that only allows 60hz where as HDMI allows the full 95 and beyond with a bit of overdrive.

24 minutes ago, NorthsideRockinBape said:

Displayport is faster than HDMI, so don't bother changing that. 

We're talking about a 1080p monitor, this make no difference at all here with such a low resolution.