Best Headphones without amplifier

Can you guys suggest the best wired headphones that don't require an amplifier?

I just want to listen to Spotify on my phone. My first pick was the xm4, but every forums says they sound bad. 

Whats your budget?

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

I used these. Cheap, decent, reasonably comfortable and good sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ2M33I

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I used these. Cheap, decent, reasonably comfortable and good sound.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NJ2M33I

The sony xm4 which he was thinking of getting costs like 300 dollars, i dont think op is shopping at that pricepoint.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10/11 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

Without a finite budget this gets weird? The actual best wired headphones you can run out of a phone? Probably something planar magnetic that costs $5000 and would be overkill for Spotify.

The best reasonably high end headphones in that similar price tier?

Its another pair of low resistance planar magnetic, ABE3600D-C09F-4928-B0FC-5BF6758521F8.thumb.jpeg.afac3368411ae516b28a6a9d53e6cd34.jpeg

Avantone Planar’s would be my recommendation if you’re already looking at really expensive Bluetooth headsets and are looking for audio quality first, presumably at the sacrifice of Bluetooth.

You can slap these right into a phone, or use your dongle of choice should you choose. These do better with an amp of some variety, but so can a lot of headphones even in the fairly low power range.

They’re around $400 and offer incredibly good value for their sound characteristics. 

Rode NTH-100 are one of my current favorites and run well off a phone

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

22 hours ago, 8tg said:

Without a finite budget this gets weird? The actual best wired headphones you can run out of a phone?

Around the price of xm4, 300$. Can also go upto 400$

The only good sounding headphone I found was the AKG k361 wired which is under 100$. 

21 hours ago, 8tg said:

Avantone Planar’s would be my recommendation

Its not available in India.

Off topic here.

There is so much options among headphone amplifier that its confusing. You could find like 20-30$ amplifiers from company's like Fifine & Behringer on Amazon. Also amps above 150$ that does the same job. So is there a difference between cheap & expensive amplifier?

6 hours ago, Case maker said:

Off topic here.

There is so much options among headphone amplifier that its confusing. You could find like 20-30$ amplifiers from company's like Fifine & Behringer on Amazon. Also amps above 150$ that does the same job. So is there a difference between cheap & expensive amplifier?

A more expensive amplifier will output more power and/or a higher quality signal

On 9/3/2022 at 2:08 AM, Case maker said:

I just want to listen to Spotify on my phone. My first pick was the xm4, but every forums says they sound bad. 

If they can get loud enough from your audio source, no headphones <require> an amplifier.

Since phones have limited output voltage, you may want to avoid a small handful of particularly low efficiency headphones, especially if you use an EQ. But in most cases you can just get whatever you want: the HD650, DT880, K612, and most of the other normal headphone recommendations are all on the table.

7 hours ago, Case maker said:

Off topic here.

The absolute cheapest amplifiers are likely worse than your phone. These tend to use op-amps not intended for headphone use combined with high output impedances (which often noticeably changes the sound of the headphones) to work properly. They aren't really intended for music listening; they're meant to enable quick and dirty headphone splitting, or cheaply allow headphone monitoring of a device that wasn't designed to drive headphones at all.

In the $100-$200 price range there are plenty of great amplifier choices. The highest measured signal quality commercially available headphone amplifier is $150. The best amplifiers in this price range typically have more than enough output power for all but a small handful of very niche, very expensive headphones.

Above $200, you typically get even more power, or more input options, or a fancier volume control (or tubes, if that's your preference). At this point you're typically not buying more audio quality, but instead buying different feature sets.

I think people are approaching this from the wrong end.  Price is but one consideration, and far from the only one.  "they sound bad" is meaningless.  The type of audio you are listening to is important.  Classical piano concertos are going to sound best on a setup that is entirely different from the setup that sounds best for dubstep.  This variation is why I tend to recommend brands with a fairly "flat" response (eg. Sennheiser)--since I listen to a wide assortment of styles.

P.S.

LTT isn't the best place to get definitive-taste-recommendations.  If you want audio recommendations from the bleeding-edge of connoisseurs, you need to go to a dedicated forum for that.  Same if you want recommendations on home-theater projectors.  LTT is great for some things, but within limits.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:08 AM, Case maker said:

Personally my daily driver is a Sennheiser HD6xx - people will often tell you "you need to use an Amp with the 6xx!". They're wrong. Straight up. I don't own an amp, and my 6xx's still sound amazing.

Sure, a dedicated amp and dac will get even more out of them, but they sound pretty kickass without. They do sound even better when I use my AV Receiver as an amp though, which is a nice bonus, but I only do that novelty reasons every now and then.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

the absolute best? probably something like the focal utopia. most modern computers etc should be able to drive them to a decent volume but some older stuff might struggle with the 80 ohms so maybe the focal clears if thats an issue

ok jokes aside maybe something like the akg k371. if you get a 10 dollar apple dongle it should really expand the amount of headphones you can power effectively. unless you live in the EU and have to get the usb c version. with the apple dongle you can go for something like the hd6xx or he400se/sundara 

46 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

the absolute best? probably something like the focal utopia. most modern computers etc should be able to drive them to a decent volume but some older stuff might struggle with the 80 ohms so maybe the focal clears if thats an issue

ok jokes aside maybe something like the akg k371. if you get a 10 dollar apple dongle it should really expand the amount of headphones you can power effectively. unless you live in the EU and have to get the usb c version. with the apple dongle you can go for something like the hd6xx or he400se/sundara 

I had the utopias. They were suprisingly easy to drive so yeah If you had to skip actually having any good audio components I think you're right... theyre the best. 😉

For a budget? Grado Sr125's might be interesting. If you need closed back I think the audio technica ATH-M50x  would be a solid pick or yeah what spartaman64 said the K371 wouldn't be a bad pick.

Price-quality, I would say that the ATH-M20x is fairly unbeatable.

I've done human testing and compared the ATH-M20x to the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro in lossless 24-bit tracks on my system configured in bit-perfect mode. I have now tested four people and they all chose the ATH-M20x.

Here's a detailed review: https://medium.com/evalir/audio-technica-ath-m20x-review-the-most-sturdy-headphones-ive-ever-used-97ce23898d04

I want to say that I don't know what he did with the headphones. I've been using them for three years now, almost daily, and they look like new.

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

8 hours ago, The Hope said:

Price-quality, I would say that the ATH-M20x is fairly unbeatable.

Have you tried options such as akg k36/371, nth100, grado, CAL SE, etc? 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

On 9/9/2022 at 8:18 PM, Entropy. said:

Have you tried options such as akg k36/371, nth100, grado, CAL SE, etc? 

The ATH-M20x sounds very close to how something sounds in reality so especially the timbre of all sounds are extremely correct. 

For example, suppose you play a note on a piano, the note can have exactly the same frequency as another piano, but have a different timbre. The rich sound of real instruments is precisely because there is a broad spectrum of other sounds besides the pure frequency. And it's this that audio-technica does better than any other brands in my experience.

Audio Technica ATH-M20x sound tests 

AKG also does not always have the best build quality. Grado often has a rattling sound after a few months or years. audio-technica generally has no weak element in their build quality and is among the 5% of brands with best build quality.

OS: FreeBSD 13.3  WM: bspwm  Hardware: Intel 12600KF -- Kingston dual-channel CL36 @6200 -- Sapphire RX 7600 -- BIOSTAR B760MZ-E PRO -- Antec P6 -- Xilence XP550 -- ARCTIC i35 -- EVO 850 500GB

Another element that determines the sound quality of headphones is detail. The ATH-M20x has so much detail that it's hard to hear the difference from the detail of real sounds.