what power increase should i expect is i shunt mod my pcie 5m ohm to 4m ohm

clutchmaster
20 minutes ago, clutchmaster said:

hw monitor claims im pulling 30watts through the pcie

Yes that seem plausible. What card are we talking about? PCIE can pull up to 75W

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

You should not expect any power increase.  Changing the current shunt resistor only tricks the video card firmware to think it's pulling less power. Unless you overclock the video card, the card is still gonna consume the same amount of power as before at the same voltage levels and frequencies. 

If the card consumes 30 watts or so, there's plenty of room up to 65-75w the pci-e slot allows.

I'd say don't mess with pcie power. Replace the resistors from the power cables if you want a higher power limit. I'd go for 2.5mOhm resistors. Doubling the power limit should be enough for pretty much everything, and it's easy to read what gpuz reports. You don't need a calculator for multiplying values by 2.

21 minutes ago, ExalyThor said:

I'd say don't mess with pcie power. Replace the resistors from the power cables if you want a higher power limit. I'd go for 2.5mOhm resistors. Doubling the power limit should be enough for pretty much everything, and it's easy to read what gpuz reports. You don't need a calculator for multiplying values by 2.

^^^

You can apparently burn the board by raising pcie slot power draw, prob something to do with overcurrent on the traces or even the slot itself, too much current and the traces suddenly turn into fuses and just melt (seen it happen before but randomly not via deliberate modding), prob also burn the card itself for the same reason. Fked traces effectively makes the card and/or mobo unusable cause dead, not fully dead but screwed traces means screwed everything else cause where the hell the power go through? So effectively dead

You dont care about the board and gpu then sure why not, wouldnt see an extra 5-10w being an issue but 5 = 75, 75:5 = 15, 15x4 = 60, so to hit 75w limit itd be ~18.8-18.9x4, if it was a 5ohm resistor like normal then that would be 102-105w power draw, so irl ~102-105w max with a 5 -> 4ohm resistor shunt mod, yea lets just say those traces dont be looking too good

Pcie is 75W max, you don't need shunting anything for a 30W card - what is it ??

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

shunt mod which card?

also - if you mean shunt mod the power coming from the pcie connector from the mobo.. that's a good way to damage things.

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

Yes that seem plausible. What card are we talking about? PCIE can pull up to 75W

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

You should not expect any power increase.  Changing the current shunt resistor only tricks the video card firmware to think it's pulling less power. Unless you overclock the video card, the card is still gonna consume the same amount of power as before at the same voltage levels and frequencies. 

If the card consumes 30 watts or so, there's plenty of room up to 65-75w the pci-e slot allows.

15 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Pcie is 75W max, you don't need shunting anything for a 30W card - what is it ??

evga rtx 2060 ko (tu104) 170watt card already replaced the 5milli ohm shunt with a 3milli ohm shunt on the 8pin

back_full.jpg

1124257210_front_full-Copy.jpg

13 minutes ago, clutchmaster said:

evga rtx 2060 ko (tu104) 170watt card already replaced the 5milli ohm shunt with a 3milli ohm shunt on the 8pin

back_full.jpg

1124257210_front_full-Copy.jpg

Not sure what you want to do, think you should shunt the R005 resistor below but I'm no Buildzoid 🙂 ...

image.png

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

20 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Not sure what you want to do, think you should shunt the R005 resistor below but I'm no Buildzoid 🙂 ...

image.png

i am aware 
with the original R005 in place hwmonitor claims its pulling 30watts so if i replace it with an r004 what would the increase be

for all thoes reading i do plan to kill components to top charts cause im nuts aaaaaand bored

8 hours ago, clutchmaster said:

i am aware 
with the original R005 in place hwmonitor claims its pulling 30watts so if i replace it with an r004 what would the increase be

for all thoes reading i do plan to kill components to top charts cause im nuts aaaaaand bored

Still can't understand what you want to achieve.. A 2060 pulls like 150W power not 30W, and shunting resistors will not improve anything really, only fool the VBIOS power limit so you can overclock the card more/get more power on it (and more heat btw)

9 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Still can't understand what you want to achieve.. A 2060 pulls like 150W power not 30W, and shunting resistors will not improve anything really, only fool the VBIOS power limit so you can overclock the card more/get more power on it (and more heat btw)

OMG i literally stated the question what is the power in watts increase will be
30watts to what i need the calculation

53 minutes ago, Clueless Rabbit said:

May be misunderstanding, but if the card is only pulling 30 watts from a connector that could deliver 75 watts it would still only pull 30 watts if the connector were suddenly capable of delivering 300 watts. So the increase would be zero.

But what do I know anyway🙃

u make it sound like shunt modding literally does nothing and doesnt raise the power limit in anyway

57 minutes ago, Clueless Rabbit said:

May be misunderstanding, but if the card is only pulling 30 watts from a connector that could deliver 75 watts it would still only pull 30 watts if the connector were suddenly capable of delivering 300 watts. So the increase would be zero.

But what do I know anyway🙃

think of it this way if it is being reported of pulling 30 watts with a r005 shunt and then i replace it with a r004 and its still reporting 30 watts then what is it actually pulling

because if i have a single power stage taking power from the pcie slot then the max it can pull 59watts so nim missing 30watts 

On 9/1/2022 at 9:03 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

^^^

You can apparently burn the board by raising pcie slot power draw, prob something to do with overcurrent on the traces or even the slot itself, too much current and the traces suddenly turn into fuses and just melt (seen it happen before but randomly not via deliberate modding), prob also burn the card itself for the same reason. Fked traces effectively makes the card and/or mobo unusable cause dead, not fully dead but screwed traces means screwed everything else cause where the hell the power go through? So effectively dead

You dont care about the board and gpu then sure why not, wouldnt see an extra 5-10w being an issue but 5 = 75, 75:5 = 15, 15x4 = 60, so to hit 75w limit itd be ~18.8-18.9x4, if it was a 5ohm resistor like normal then that would be 102-105w power draw, so irl ~102-105w max with a 5 -> 4ohm resistor shunt mod, yea lets just say those traces dont be looking too good

21 hours ago, clutchmaster said:

think of it this way if it is being reported of pulling 30 watts with a r005 shunt and then i replace it with a r004 and its still reporting 30 watts then what is it actually pulling

3 minutes ago, clutchmaster said:

because if i have a single power stage taking power from the pcie slot then the max it can pull 59watts so im missing 30watts 

since ur the only one that can calculate this what would the power draw be