Best cherry mx keys for gaming

AaronFPS

Vote

i5 3470 | MSI B75MA P45 | 8GB Value Ram | Plextor M5S 128GB | Sapphire 7850 | WD Blue 1TB | SF 600W Gold | CM Storm Scout II

Red and Black are supposed to be gaming switches, but many have been playing just fine with Blue and Brown. I prefer Red, but have tried, and liked, Blue and Black as well. So, I now have 3 Red, a Blue and a Black.....no addiction to any particular switch.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

For gaming and gaming alone, Cherry MX reds would be my choice, which is why companies like Corsair and Gigabyte have been putting them in their gaming-oriented mechanical keyboards; however, that's not to say I consider Cherry MX reds to be at all appropriate for regular typing. As for Cherry MX blacks, I find that, though they're considered a gaming switch, they cause far too much finger fatigue during lengthy gaming sessions.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I voted brown because it is my favourite does not mean that it is the "best" key switch for everyone though. 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Gotta go with reds because I also type a lot for college and they are more quiet than most from what I've heard.

AMD Radeon R9 290X / AMD FX-8320 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 / Samsung 830 128GB / Seagate 7200RPM 3TB / Corsair HX 850W / BitFenix Shinobi XL / CPU & GPU Watercooled - Thick Triple 360 Rad

Reds, I hate the tactile bump on the blue switches, it gets in the way when gaming. 

Another reason for reds is that they have the lowest actuation force, so double tapping is very fast

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Brown. Best compromise in strafe/spam-friendliness and tactility.

Blown away at so many using blues, they're really only meant for typing. Lots of gamers will have arthritic fingers at old age!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well, I went to my "local" (1.5 hour drive) Micro Center to try out keyboards today and from all the ones I tried, I found blues to be my personal favorite. 

Obviously, this is very different from using keyboards for an extended period of time to get a feel for them. I don't think I got to try Blacks, but I did get to try Browns and Reds. Neither of which I liked.

I'm a gamer, but I type a lot too. I tend to use things like a scroll wheel or a macro for auto-fire/quick successive presses, so actuation force doesn't matter in the short term for me much. Long term, I spend hours on a computer a day as is. I doubt I'll get tired easily using Blues.

Based on all that, I'm likely going to buy the Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboard. Tis epic, and I like the look.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Well, I went to my "local" (1.5 hour drive) Micro Center to try out keyboards today and from all the ones I tried, I found blues to be my personal favorite. 

Obviously, this is very different from using keyboards for an extended period of time to get a feel for them. I don't think I got to try Blacks, but I did get to try Browns and Reds. Neither of which I liked.

I'm a gamer, but I type a lot too. I tend to use things like a scroll wheel or a macro for auto-fire/quick successive presses, so actuation force doesn't matter in the short term for me much. Long term, I spend hours on a computer a day as is. I doubt I'll get tired easily using Blues.

Based on all that, I'm likely going to buy the Razer Black Widow Ultimate keyboard. Tis epic, and I like the look.

I work at Micro Center and, unfortunately, the keyboard selection is disappointing. I wouldn't advise limiting yourself to what's available at brick-and-mortar stores.

Intel Core i7-5930K | Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS X99-M WS | 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws V 2666MHz | MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Seasonic 660XP2 | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV

LG 34UM95-P w/ Ergotron MX  | O2/ODAC | Audioengine A5+ w/ AS8 | Sennheiser HD 598 | Ducky Shine 3 | Cooler Master Storm Spawn

I work at Micro Center and, unfortunately, the keyboard selection is disappointing. I wouldn't advise limiting yourself to what's available at brick-and-mortar stores.

Yes, I agree. Somewhat disappointing. I guessed the Ducky I used had Reds because I heard no click and felt no bump. I just assumed it was membrane at first, but it didn't say anything on the box.

How do I test Cherry MX Keys then without a brick-and-mortar store? Buying them to try them online seems exceptionally unnecessary. And I know no one who owns a Mechanical Keyboard. :(

I can already tell I don't like Reds as I don't notice a difference between them and Membrane. Who knows, perhaps that Ducky keyboard actually was membrane. Ew.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I use Reds, and in all seriousness, i include 'double-tapping' as an important factor in gaming so blues are out of the question.

Reds are good but as a user of them myself i find them too easy to accidentally actuate sometimes due to the incredibly light actuation force. Browns are also ok.

But for the purpose of this question i would have to go with Blacks, when playing a game you only want a key to actuate when you want it to and Blacks are excellent at that, so there be it.

They all have negligable difference in gaming performance. Preferably just try them all out and pick a switch.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

It has to do with personal preference, though Lukiose's right about the double tapping bit, that's why my preferred switch is Red. I do have a DK9087G2 Pro TKL which has Cherry Black switch and after going through UT3 for a while, I actually prefer it over Red....Blue is OK, but somehow Red and Black do better for me as I find myself scoring more hits with them, especially the Black. For my final KB, I'm thinking Filco MJ2 with yellow keycaps......and I'm aiming for a Brown. I'd like to try the various switches, and I really do think Red is still my fave.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Blues, and if you use wasdkeyboard's blue o-rings, it's even better.

Yes, I agree. Somewhat disappointing. I guessed the Ducky I used had Reds because I heard no click and felt no bump. I just assumed it was membrane at first, but it didn't say anything on the box.

How do I test Cherry MX Keys then without a brick-and-mortar store? Buying them to try them online seems exceptionally unnecessary. And I know no one who owns a Mechanical Keyboard. :(

I can already tell I don't like Reds as I don't notice a difference between them and Membrane. Who knows, perhaps that Ducky keyboard actually was membrane. Ew.

Order a sampler kit online from either WASD Keyboards or Max Keyboard. I will provide the links below:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-sampler-kit.html

They come with one Cherry MX black switch, one Cherry MX blue switch, one Cherry MX brown switch, one Cherry MX red switch, keycaps, and O-rings. It's not quite like having a full keyboard at your fingertips, but it's surprisingly helpful nevertheless. Mechanical keyboards are not cheap, so it's a worthwhile investment to know which switches you favor.

Blues for all thing keyboardy!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

I like black switches because they're smooth and relatively quiet.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

I really like the Browns myself for everday, but blues are really nice.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Order a sampler kit online from either WASD Keyboards or Max Keyboard. I will provide the links below:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-sampler-kit.html

They come with one Cherry MX black switch, one Cherry MX blue switch, one Cherry MX brown switch, one Cherry MX red switch, keycaps, and O-rings. It's not quite like having a full keyboard at your fingertips, but it's surprisingly helpful nevertheless. Mechanical keyboards are not cheap, so it's a worthwhile investment to know which switches you favor.

Thank you man. This will help so much.

† Christian Member †