i7 4790k and mobo?

I've not heard of a motherboard limiting CPU performance, only RAM and storage speeds.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Just now, An0maly_76 said:

motherboard limiting CPU performance,

VRMs will do it.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

VRMs will do it.

I guess I could see that if VRM dropoff limits CPU power. Is that a known issue with 4th-gen though?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

17 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I guess I could see that if VRM dropoff limits CPU power. Is that a known issue with 4th-gen though?

I'm not sure. I wasn't following computers enough around 4th gen. It is something that could cause a motherboard to limit CPUs though.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Not really on 4th gen since that was when Intel released the integrated voltage regulator, so the VRM ran at much higher voltages where it's a lot more efficient for the amount of power it draws, so the VRM still runs fine even with a terrible VRM (and believe me, both of those boards have really terrible VRMs). See the Gigabyte Z97X-SOC, a board with a 4 phase VRM and tiny heatsink that was able to handle a 4790K even on LN2, compared to the Z170X-SOC Force, the 6th gen board (the integrated voltage regulator was removed on 6th gen) with over 5X the power stages and massive heatsink (albeit this was very overkill, but it was a lot less overkill than it would have been for a Haswell system). 

That said, the only reason to have a 4790K not really suck today is to be able to overclock it to something like 4.6GHz, and none of those boards support overclocking. Used Z97 boards are about the same price as those but much better, and you should just go for one of those instead.

1 hour ago, xXAXONXx said:

cause i never heared about those brands before

1 hour ago, xXAXONXx said:

gigabyte motherboard and Intel H81 Boetec

You've never heard of Gigabyte? pretty common name brand at least in the US. Although I have not heard of Boetec myself either,,

Edited by Fasauceome
oop

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Given a quick glance, I'd say the cpu isnt gonna be oc'ing well. But at the same time, the rest of the rig may not be able to keep up either. Ran higher end asus boards with mine and should be going for cheap just may not be alot in the area. If you havent got the cpu already, I'd save some money and get a non k variant or even a 4770.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

20 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not really on 4th gen since that was when Intel released the integrated voltage regulator, so the VRM ran at much higher voltages where it's a lot more efficient for the amount of power it draws, so the VRM still runs fine even with a terrible VRM (and believe me, both of those boards have really terrible VRMs). See the Gigabyte Z97X-SOC, a board with a 4 phase VRM and tiny heatsink that was able to handle a 4790K even on LN2, compared to the Z170X-SOC Force, the 6th gen board (the integrated voltage regulator was removed on 6th gen) with over 5X the power stages and massive heatsink (albeit this was very overkill, but it was a lot less overkill than it would have been for a Haswell system). 

That said, the only reason to have a 4790K not really suck today is to be able to overclock it to something like 4.6GHz, and none of those boards support overclocking. Used Z97 boards are about the same price as those but much better, and you should just go for one of those instead.

whats vrm

20 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

does my msi z170a g-45 gaming have a good vrm i7 6700k?, or is bad vrm??

10 minutes ago, xXAXONXx said:

whats vrm

Voltage regulation module. Basically the thing that powers the CPU. Better ones run cooler and have more stable output voltages. Primarily way to get better ones is to have more power phases, but that's not a be all end all measuremrnt (Crosshair VIII Impact, for instance, is a 4 phase VCore, but it's better than a lot of 8 Phase and larger VRMs that exist) 

8 minutes ago, xXAXONXx said:

does my msi z170a g-45 gaming have a good vrm i7 6700k?, or is bad vrm??

It's fine. Nothing particularly amazing, I wouldn't want to take that board in LN2 or anything like that, but it's more than adequate for a 5GHz 7700K.

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Voltage regulation module. Basically the thing that powers the CPU. Better ones run cooler and have more stable output voltages. Primarily way to get better ones is to have more power phases, but that's not a be all end all measuremrnt (Crosshair VIII Impact, for instance, is a 4 phase VCore, but it's better than a lot of 8 Phase and larger VRMs that exist) 

It's fine. Nothing particularly amazing, I wouldn't want to take that board in LN2 or anything like that, but it's more than adequate for a 5GHz 7700K.

whats ln2

17 minutes ago, xXAXONXx said:

whats ln2

It's just stands for liquid nitrogen, used for serious overclocking. That board is enough for a 7700k

7 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

It's just stands for liquid nitrogen, used for serious overclocking. That board is enough for a 7700k

so i wont have any issue with i7 6700k msi z170a g-45 gaming motherboard 32 gb ddr4 2666mhz bus ram in dual channel hyper x fury black (2 of 16 gb) and gtx 1070 g1 gaming 8 gb gddr5 gigabyte?

9 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

the timings are in my other post please check it and tell me if is good for bad :s

20 minutes ago, xXAXONXx said:

whats ln2

Liquid nitrogen, used for overclocking world record level benchmark scores, not daily use. 

• 1 month later...

The h81m will take the i7-4790k, either with a bios update or installing windows 10 while using a non k version chip installed first. I just put the chip in my Asus h81m-c board this week. 

Someone suggested going with the non k version. I don't know why, the k version has 13% better heat spread so it doesn't overheat as much. It also has a base clock of 4. Non k version is 3.6 .. so even if you "cannot overclock" it

(you can, there is an old bios download you can use, or windows 10 let's you to a small degree.. up to 4.5 on that board, up to 4.8 on z97 boards) 

I ran a stress test on the 4790k (non overclocked) with 1 case fan and the stock intel i5 heatsink. 

It hit 100c on 3 cores at 48% load.

The chip is safe to hit (but not maintain) 105c, windows 10 slows the processor if it hits 100c. Safe range is considered under 90c. 

my case is not big enough to handle some of the really large air heat sinks.. and I do not want to do liquid Incase a pump leaks down the road.. this computer will be holding very important content..

I have seen videos about taking the chip apart and applying liquid metal inside of it somewhere because it doesn't disburse heat enough.. these people saw 9- 12c lower tempe.

There is a tool on eBay and Amazon, even some computer stores to take apart the k chips.

I have a regular i7-4790 chip being sent to me right now as a back up, to have my computer run while I take my i7-4790k chip apart to mod. 

8 hours ago, tormentriddenband said:

The h81m will take the i7-4790k, either with a bios update or installing windows 10 while using a non k version chip installed first. I just put the chip in my Asus h81m-c board this week. 

Someone suggested going with the non k version. I don't know why, the k version has 13% better heat spread so it doesn't overheat as much. It also has a base clock of 4. Non k version is 3.6 .. so even if you "cannot overclock" it

(you can, there is an old bios download you can use, or windows 10 let's you to a small degree.. up to 4.5 on that board, up to 4.8 on z97 boards) 

I ran a stress test on the 4790k (non overclocked) with 1 case fan and the stock intel i5 heatsink. 

It hit 100c on 3 cores at 48% load.

The chip is safe to hit (but not maintain) 105c, windows 10 slows the processor if it hits 100c. Safe range is considered under 90c. 

my case is not big enough to handle some of the really large air heat sinks.. and I do not want to do liquid Incase a pump leaks down the road.. this computer will be holding very important content..

I have seen videos about taking the chip apart and applying liquid metal inside of it somewhere because it doesn't disburse heat enough.. these people saw 9- 12c lower tempe.

There is a tool on eBay and Amazon, even some computer stores to take apart the k chips.

I have a regular i7-4790 chip being sent to me right now as a back up, to have my computer run while I take my i7-4790k chip apart to mod. 

H81M will take the 4790k, yes, with a BIOS update if it hasn't been updated already, yes. Windows 10 has nothing to do with the board running or not running a Devil's Canyon chip. It's completely up to the manufacturer of the board providing a microcode update or not.

Non K versions typically run much cooler. Lower TDP = lower heat output. That's it. There's no "13% better heat spread" with Haswell or any other Intel chip that used TIM between the die and the heatspreader. They're all crap and they're all random.

Not surprised you saw 100C with an i5 stock cooler. 4790Ks never ran very cool even with a tower cooler let alone the crap Intel stock coolers. I had to cool my chips with water for stock long term operation to keep them comfortable, not to mention when overclocking. Just because it can run at 100C... doesn't mean it should.

I've delidded a lot of Haswell chips. Worth it? Eh, not really in the long run. It drops temps a bit, but then you've got to worry about whatever paste or liquid metal you used. And it's only really useful if you're overclocking and playing with it. I wouldn't do it to a daily driver CPU unless it had serious thermal issues.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

On 8/28/2022 at 8:11 AM, Mick Naughty said:

Given a quick glance, I'd say the cpu isnt gonna be oc'ing well. But at the same time, the rest of the rig may not be able to keep up either. Ran higher end asus boards with mine and should be going for cheap just may not be alot in the area. If you havent got the cpu already, I'd save some money and get a non k variant or even a 4770.

H81 does not support overclocking for unlocked chips natively

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

Is there a specific reason to buy this stuff? Would be better probably to get some budget current hardware

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

6 hours ago, thekingofmonks said:

Which ties back into my suggestion. Doesnt matter what the board can do at that point if it still too weak to matter.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 hours ago, thekingofmonks said:

Some of them will do it though. I had a Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V that could run my Pentium G3258 at 4.3 GHz before I went out an bought a real gaming cpu.