First PC Build

Budget (including currency): £2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Coding, Streaming with OBS, Gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):
Existing parts:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler or Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Mushkin Redline Lumina 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB PULSE Video Card

Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

Use case:

I am going to be using Linux on this computer. I want to make sure the PC is quiet. I want to use a AMD GPU because it has better compatibility with Linux. I currently have a MacBook Air 2020, so I am starting this build from scratch (I have never built a PC before).

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

I mean, that system isn't bad or anything, I'm not a big fan of the motherboard (the B550-A Pro is a much better board for only $10 more)and the case is a bit overkill (the 5000D only really makes sense if you want to do a custom water loop, the 4000D is basically the same case, just a little smaller and 60% the price), but the rest of the parts are fine. 

That said, I would not be buying a system right now, especially in this budget. AMD is announcing next gen hardware on Monday, meaning that either you can get next gen hardware (it is rumored to be somewhere between 20-40% faster than Ryzen 5000 for a given product) or get previous gen hardware when it goes on clearance. Next gen AMD GPUs are also going to releasing pretty soon (they will likely be teased at the same announcement event on Monday, though they won't be formally announced till late September/early October), though given AMD's driver track record on Linux it likely won't be until 2023 before the RX 7000 series cards will have proper Linux support (the initial drivers on Linux tend to have a lot of issues and it takes a month or two for them to become rock solid like the rest of AMD's lineup, at least that was the way it was on RX 6000 series cards), so you're probably gonna be stuck going 6800 XT/6900 XT anyway. 

As for the other parts in the system, if you're gonna be waiting for next gen CPUs and motherboards to launch (like I would suggest you do if you're able), whatever other part recommendations I make will be more or less irrelevant because of how fast pricing changes in the computer space. 

I’m not paying attention to the market right now but waiting for the market to change when new stuff comes out is probably good

On 8/27/2022 at 8:02 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

I mean, that system isn't bad or anything, I'm not a big fan of the motherboard (the B550-A Pro is a much better board for only $10 more)and the case is a bit overkill (the 5000D only really makes sense if you want to do a custom water loop, the 4000D is basically the same case, just a little smaller and 60% the price), but the rest of the parts are fine. 

That said, I would not be buying a system right now, especially in this budget. AMD is announcing next gen hardware on Monday, meaning that either you can get next gen hardware (it is rumored to be somewhere between 20-40% faster than Ryzen 5000 for a given product) or get previous gen hardware when it goes on clearance. Next gen AMD GPUs are also going to releasing pretty soon (they will likely be teased at the same announcement event on Monday, though they won't be formally announced till late September/early October), though given AMD's driver track record on Linux it likely won't be until 2023 before the RX 7000 series cards will have proper Linux support (the initial drivers on Linux tend to have a lot of issues and it takes a month or two for them to become rock solid like the rest of AMD's lineup, at least that was the way it was on RX 6000 series cards), so you're probably gonna be stuck going 6800 XT/6900 XT anyway. 

As for the other parts in the system, if you're gonna be waiting for next gen CPUs and motherboards to launch (like I would suggest you do if you're able), whatever other part recommendations I make will be more or less irrelevant because of how fast pricing changes in the computer space. 

I will probably buy this build when the prices go down.

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

On 8/27/2022 at 8:47 PM, Sandro Linux said:

Budget (including currency): £2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Coding, Streaming with OBS, Gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):
Existing parts:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler or Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: Mushkin Redline Lumina 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB PULSE Video Card

Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

Use case:

I am going to be using Linux on this computer. I want to make sure the PC is quiet. I want to use a AMD GPU because it has better compatibility with Linux. I currently have a MacBook Air 2020, so I am starting this build from scratch (I have never built a PC before).

The 5700X is slightly cheaper. 

The Deepcool AK620 over the Dark Rock Pro 4. Saves £20+ and you get top notch performance.

That board is terrible. I would stick with a B550 such as the B550-A or B550 Tomahawk etc.

You can usually find cheaper options from other brands. The Samsung SSD's are usually overpriced.

The 4000D airflow would make more sense. 

Of course with Ryzen 7000 coming out in September it might have an affect on current prices. Hopefully AM4 will get a price reduction.

2 hours ago, lee32uk said:

The 5700X is slightly cheaper. 

The Deepcool AK620 over the Dark Rock Pro 4. Saves £20+ and you get top notch performance.

That board is terrible. I would stick with a B550 such as the B550-A or B550 Tomahawk etc.

You can usually find cheaper options from other brands. The Samsung SSD's are usually overpriced.

The 4000D airflow would make more sense. 

Of course with Ryzen 7000 coming out in September it might have an affect on current prices. Hopefully AM4 will get a price reduction.

What do you think about other AsRock motherboards like the X570 Tachi? I usually go with ROG motherboards, and haven't had much hands on experience with AsRock motherboards. If you have any experience with AsRock's higher end board, I would be all ears.

+2 for your comment on the AK620.

16 minutes ago, DeepCool zer0 said:

What do you think about other AsRock motherboards like the X570 Tachi?

Iirc the x570 taichi is worse than the b550 since it has a worst topology, and since x570s are usually more expensive, there isn't much of a reason to buy it over the regular b550. The b550 is a great board for the price with some features that I remember being 8x/8x support and post code with my only  knowledge of this board being from @RONOTHAN## which I'd like to think that it's their favorite board : ) 

31 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Iirc the x570 taichi is worse than the b550 since it has a worst topology, and since x570s are usually more expensive, there isn't much of a reason to buy it over the regular b550. The b550 is a great board for the price with some features that I remember being 8x/8x support and post code with my only  knowledge of this board being from @RONOTHAN## which I'd like to think that it's their favorite board : ) 

I wouldn't say it's my favorite board, there are definitely others that I'd rather have (there's a reason I'm rocking an X570 Master instead of the Taichi), it's more that the taichi is just the best value motherboard you can get on AM4 right now. It just does almost everything and costs much less than similarly featured boards. 

10 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I wouldn't say it's my favorite board, there are definitely others that I'd rather have (there's a reason I'm rocking an X570 Master instead of the Taichi), it's more that the taichi is just the best value motherboard you can get on AM4 right now. It just does almost everything and costs much less than similarly featured boards. 

Thank you both for your feedback. I will definitely take that into consideration. It is much appreciated.

12 hours ago, DeepCool zer0 said:

What do you think about other AsRock motherboards like the X570 Tachi? I usually go with ROG motherboards, and haven't had much hands on experience with AsRock motherboards. If you have any experience with AsRock's higher end board, I would be all ears.

+2 for your comment on the AK620.

Never been a fan of ASRock in general, but the Taichi seem to be one of their better products. I haven't personally owned one though.