Adobe Premiere Problem with Graphics Card RTX 3090 PC freezes, screens off and restarts! ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)

this issue is driving me crazy, I contacted NVIDIA and adobe with no luck! Nvidia told me to downgrade my driver version to other versions and adobe told me to downgrade adobe premiere to older versions too but with no luck, my pc randomly freezes when editing on adobe premiere  and then my two monitors turns black and after a minute the whole pc restarts! it's happening 2-3 times daily when using premiere like randomly!

I looked for minidump files and found many, attached is the latest one happened, I tried looking up online to open it and found bugcheck analysis :

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116)
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

but I didn't understand actually what is that error!

can someone help please with my issue? is my RTX 3090 faulty and needs to be changed? is this a RAM issue? or power supply? what should I do?

my computer specs:

Threadripper 3970X

Corsair Vengeance 256 GB RAM

Asus Rog Zenith Extreme Alpha II

MSI Gaming Trio RTX 3090

Corsair HX 1200W

LIAN LI CASE

2x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Raid 0

082122-15062-01.dmp

Start with downloading DDU (Display driver uninstaller) and remove your gpu driver then install the latest one

This may not help but it will give you an idea how complex dealing with an Adobe product can get.

The i9 9900k computer I have listed below was a dedicated editing machine that used Premiere.

When built in 2019 it used 2x GTX 1080 tis. 

In 2020 I converted it to a single RTX 2080 ti.

All it did was crash and get bluescreens. 

I tried the usual things to fix it but nothing worked.

Since there was deadlines to meet the computer had to be replaced.

I tinkered with the computer for months and in the end found that it was the Windows install disk I used. It was not compatible with some Windows updates so Premiere ran fine up until windows updated. 

So for me it was a Windows issue and all I did to fix was use a newer install disk. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

I got you guys, I downloaded DDU and reinstalled the nvidia drivers and same issu3 happened, do you think 100% it is a windows update issue? 

Are we sure that this error video TDR is originated from my graphics card? Should I replace my 3090?

If you think it could be OS related, are you willing to try re-installing the OS and testing?

On 8/23/2022 at 9:14 AM, Oliveros said:

I got you guys, I downloaded DDU and reinstalled the nvidia drivers and same issu3 happened, do you think 100% it is a windows update issue? 

Are we sure that this error video TDR is originated from my graphics card? Should I replace my 3090?

What I would do is buy a SSD, install with a currant version of Windows on it and test. You can either return it or use it for storage later.

You can get another GPU to test. They seem to be plentiful now. Like the SSD you can return it or keep it as a spare. 

The MSI 3090 I have listed below is a spare for one that is an editing rig. 

If it is a hardware issue the chances are that it is a conflict between the video card and the motherboard.

These types of issues usually start on day one.

I had a Gigabyte GTX 1080 the did the TDR thing but it did it in games and productivity. It was fine in other systems so it was a motherboard/GPU conflict. 

Another thing you can do is use another editor like Davinci Resolve. The CPU rending version is free.

If you don't use Adobe products for a living that is what I would do.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Today, same issue happened again but with after effects and adobe encoder! it is driving me crazy! I was just adding my composition from after effects to export it in adobe encoder and it was just a simple HD video not even a big 4K one, very minimal! then my computer freezed and screens turned off and restarted!

I tried many stuff actually, there was an update for all adobe apps two days ago, along with a windows 11 update and new NVidia driver update too, so I think the issue is not from any of these! what do you think?

I ended up changing my GPU to an Asus TUF 3090Ti one day till now with no issues, will keep you updated if there's any!

Hi, 

Just checking in to see how the new card is doing? 

I am having the exact same issue with my Nvidia GeForce rtx 3090 and threadripper 3970x 

My mobo is the rog zenith II extreme alpha

If it's still happening, it might be a specific Nvidia thing. Unless you need CUDA or NVENC, maybe a Radeon VII? It's still got 16GB of VRAM, and it's HBM2, so the bandwidth of that memory is crazy. Great for compute stuff. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

12 hours ago, richimammo said:

Hi, 

I am having the exact same issue with my Nvidia GeForce rtx 3090 and threadripper 3970x 

Wow, came across this thread in a Google search and have this exact same setup. I will say that I’ve RMA’d both my RAM and my GPU (3090 FE) due to this, neither solved the problem. Then I saw someone on Reddit say they changed their PhysX settings to GPU only and it fixed it, tried that as well and no luck. Still get the random Video TDR Failure BSOD’s when using Premiere or After Effects. 

On 9/8/2022 at 11:18 PM, Reel Bump said:

Wow, came across this thread in a Google search and have this exact same setup. I will say that I’ve RMA’d both my RAM and my GPU (3090 FE) due to this, neither solved the problem. Then I saw someone on Reddit say they changed their PhysX settings to GPU only and it fixed it, tried that as well and no luck. Still get the random Video TDR Failure BSOD’s when using Premiere or After Effects. 

what monitor you have and what refresh hz are you using?

Ooof man still issue is driving me even more crazier! now I borrowed another system from my friend that has a new 3090Ti with 256gb of RAM and another threadripper 3995wx and started working on premiere again, suddenly after four days of work on it the issue started happening again with same BOSD and

VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (116) 

and this was a new system newly formatted with new windows on it! the only thing I had is that I'm using my same old Asus XG46UQ 4K gaming monitor with 144Hz refresh rate! 

Does anybody think the issue is from that monitor? or maybe the high refresh rate settings? I even turned off freesync from amd with no luck!

On 9/8/2022 at 10:34 AM, richimammo said:

Hi, 

what monitor you have and what refresh Hz your settings are?

By steps

1 -  DDU

2 - Make sure your PSU is actually good and use 2 cables from it, test with another psu

3 - OS it can hapen

4 - CMOS and dont use XMP all stock 

5 - RAM try with diferent conbinations of sticks. 

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the issue is coming from my monitor when I put it up to 144hz when playing a video on youtube and/or opening premiere to edit this happens! you think my monitor is faulty?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Just wanted to post that I appear to be having the exact same issue, for the exact reasons you listed here. Downgrading Premiere is not an option for me. Considered just getting a new card at this rate, as it is rather annoying. Changed my autosaves to every 4 minutes just in case. Thankfully boot time is pretty slick, but this is troubling nonetheless.

• 1 month later...

the issue is still happening, and this video could help, will try it and let u know if it works!