Cool Master Hyper 212 Evo V2 Motherboard compatibility question

CosmosBC

Hi

I'm helping my brother with a computer upgrade and ran into a problem this evening with trying to put the Hyper 212 EVO v2 on his new ASUS ROG Strix B550-A Gaming motherboard.

The posts that are supposed to secure the back bracket to the MB refused to tighten and felt like there was maybe 1-2 mm of thread required to make the them fit on the board. Part of the bracket was also dangerously close of a bank of capacitors and I felt like that might cause a problem.

I did what I usually do in these cases and tried to Google if anyone else had similar problems. The only thing I could find was a reddit thread for an ASUS ROG Strix X570 motherboard where the OP ended up deciding that the cooler wouldn't work with their motherboard.

I tried looking for a compatibility list for the B550 to see which coolers would work but everything I could find told me the Hyper 212 Evo V2 should work. Am I missing something is there a washer or something I need to add clearance to the posts?

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Obligatory question...are you following the manual in terms of part and placement exactly like the manual says in the spots for AM4?

https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/gx6lB2IoXm

@CosmosBCmore specifically... are you using the AM4 placements and not the other AM/FM ones.

image.png.385225157a473bc80ca31a8cf78b380b.png

Heh... just noticed AMD's sockets are named either AM or FM like the broadcasting terms. Heh... I'll show myself out. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

11 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

Obligatory question...are you following the manual in terms of part and placement exactly like the manual says in the spots for AM4?

https://coolermaster.egnyte.com/dl/gx6lB2IoXm

Good Question :), yes we did follow the instruction and use the spots in the manual. 

11 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

@CosmosBCmore specifically... are you using the AM4 placements and not the other AM/FM ones.

Heh... just noticed AMD's sockets are named either AM or FM like the broadcasting terms. Heh... I'll show myself out. 

Yep, we tried the that. The back plate does fit on the MB no problem. The issue we found is the MB was too thin to make the back plate secure without it wiggling. It felt odd like I needed a washer or thing pad to allow me to make it secure.

I case my tone is lost in the text thank you very much for your help so far @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito and @PineyCreek

11 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

I don't see a plastic backplate in the package for V2, but check:

I wish took some pictures 😞. Thanks for the reference thread that looks like the same bracket and I did remove the standard one that came with the MB. The issue I had was the H pieces from the manual did not tighten enough to stop the bracket from wiggling.

10 hours ago, CosmosBC said:

I wish took some pictures 😞. Thanks for the reference thread that looks like the same bracket and I did remove the standard one that came with the MB. The issue I had was the H pieces from the manual did not tighten enough to stop the bracket from wiggling.

Oh...well that kind of sucks.  Have you checked with Cooler Master via their Social Media like Facebook or Twitter?  If you make something politely/professionally public with a question, usually social media managers jump on it to try and show community engagement.  Public success stories are worth their weight in gold in good PR, while complaints are a dime a dozen.  Maybe on their Discord to see anyone else has tried the same combo?: https://community.coolermaster.com/

Could also ping their tech support with pictures to verify: https://account.coolermaster.com/IntroSupport.aspx

Oddly, their link to the forums appears to be broken on that page and I couldn't find it searching...maybe they retired it.

You could also post pictures in the thread once you have them in here so we can do a sanity check.

On 8/22/2022 at 10:23 PM, PineyCreek said:

Oh...well that kind of sucks.  Have you checked with Cooler Master via their Social Media like Facebook or Twitter?  If you make something politely/professionally public with a question, usually social media managers jump on it to try and show community engagement.  Public success stories are worth their weight in gold in good PR, while complaints are a dime a dozen.  Maybe on their Discord to see anyone else has tried the same combo?: https://community.coolermaster.com/

Could also ping their tech support with pictures to verify: https://account.coolermaster.com/IntroSupport.aspx

Oddly, their link to the forums appears to be broken on that page and I couldn't find it searching...maybe they retired it.

You could also post pictures in the thread once you have them in here so we can do a sanity check.

Thanks for the advice, I've tried twitter and email their tech support. We'll see if they can help me out. 

I did snag a couple photos  I am not sure if this illustrates  the issue will but I can't tighten the screws any more. I also shot a short video demoing what I am talking about 

image.thumb.jpeg.0c0a9fa8e22db6649284cea093eaab48.jpeg

Gap2.jpg

I was able to show the video to our local Canada Computers and they advise this was a normal amount of movement in the bracket. I completed the install and everything is rock solid. 

Thanks for all the help @PineyCreek

6 hours ago, CosmosBC said:

I was able to show the video to our local Canada Computers and they advise this was a normal amount of movement in the bracket. I completed the install and everything is rock solid. 

Thanks for all the help @PineyCreek

Awesome, glad it worked out.