Should I swap my AIO?

x Princess Leliana x
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
2 hours ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

Pump header goes into AIO Pump header on mobo, fans go into a seperate header that I then just plug into a regular fan slot on the mobo?

Yup.

Oh the ak 620 wins by far here for price. As for performance the ak620 will be a bit better and will do better at lower noise levels. The deepcool fans are louder since these are the cheaper ones made for their aio's.

Either way between that deepcool you like or a a620 you cannot go wrong for the cpu you have. The ak620 will be better out of the box and quieter. The deepcool will be louder and a bit worse but have the rgb bling you seem to want.

27 minutes ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

It's at least 3-4 years in *my* use, I bought it used (without fans) and the guy that had it I think had it for a year before then. So it's at least 3-4 years old. Fans are deep cool cf120mm, but theyre 100% dying, tried all the screws and what not, swapped em about a bit, it's 100% them, if I hold the fan stopped manually they stop rattling ya know.

Obviously since the cooler is used I have no warranty to speak of. 

Test the AIO, uninstall it, (you can probably dust it with compressed air, it can't hurt) the swoosh it around and listen to the liquid inside. You'll have a good idea if you need to change it or not.

I personally don't think that investing in new fans is better than that just swapping for a new AIO. A 360, if it fits your case, will keep you CPU much cooler (I'm 38 idle and 61 under heavy render on mine an R9 5900x)

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

I have a 5900x on an EK 360mm AIO.

This is what it looks like after a Cinebench run.

So it never gets out of the 60s and most games run in the 50s. Some cores are a bit toasty at idle but they are all about the same under load.

Spoiler

R20stock.thumb.png.b722e1928455b067f997b9020275a914.png

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Just now, x Princess Leliana x said:

So of the AIOs get the liquid freezer II, of the Air coolers get the Scythe? That makes teh decision easy since I can't find the scythe on any site other than amazon and I don't shop there 

Not really that simple.

Aios yeah arctic stuff cant go wrong but for air coolers:

ak620

dark rock 4

sycthe fuma 2

nhd15

dark rock pro 4

all of these perform within a couple degrees of eachother (including the 360mm arctic)

If you really wish to future proof get an air cooler they last quite literally forever.

Again the arctic 360 is like 2c-3c better than the a620 whilst costing double. Also silence is identical

Just now, jaslion said:

Not really that simple.

Aios yeah arctic stuff cant go wrong but for air coolers:

ak620

dark rock 4

sycthe fuma 2

nhd15

dark rock pro 4

all of these perform within a couple degrees of eachother (including the 360mm arctic)

If you really wish to future proof get an air cooler they last quite literally forever.

Again the arctic 360 is like 2c-3c better than the a620 whilst costing double. Also silence is identical

Thank you! Will look into them as well. I 100% should get an air one if they perform like that for cost, but my brain at the same time goes "make pc pretty with cute looking cooler" which is hard to ignore. 

Just now, x Princess Leliana x said:

Thank you! Will look into them as well. I 100% should get an air one if they perform like that for cost, but my brain at the same time goes "make pc pretty with cute looking cooler" which is hard to ignore. 

If ya want looks the deepcool is there for you. Its not a bad cooler just not as good as the others mentioned here

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

If ya want looks the deepcool is there for you. Its not a bad cooler just not as good as the others mentioned here

Thank you, one final question since you seem the knowledgeable type, Do most coolers come with built in fan control? My current AIO has a header on the radiator I plug all the fans into, then I plug the one cable that comes from that into the AIO header on my mobo, which allows the fans to be controlled via CPU temps.

Do the others all do that or do I also need to buy a fan controller? 

2 minutes ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

Thank you, one final question since you seem the knowledgeable type, Do most coolers come with built in fan control? My current AIO has a header on the radiator I plug all the fans into, then I plug the one cable that comes from that into the AIO header on my mobo, which allows the fans to be controlled via CPU temps.

Do the others all do that or do I also need to buy a fan controller? 

Thats a unique feature of the celcius and actually hampered cooling a bit as it also would affect pump speed.

Most aio's simply have a pump header (just put it near max speed consrant) and then a fan header so you can assign individual control. By default both will follow the cpu temp for speed of pump and fans

23 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Thats a unique feature of the celcius and actually hampered cooling a bit as it also would affect pump speed.

Most aio's simply have a pump header (just put it near max speed consrant) and then a fan header so you can assign individual control. By default both will follow the cpu temp for speed of pump and fans

Pump header goes into AIO Pump header on mobo, fans go into a seperate header that I then just plug into a regular fan slot on the mobo?

Also to the guy who was asking if i can fit ive got a lianli 011 dynamic, so yeah I have space haha ^^

Also looking into it, of those coolers I can only find the dark rocks nhd and ak on my two sites, scythe is pre order which wont work. 

Dark rocks are like £65, £90 for pro, Noctua is £90, ak is around £45, theres a b grade dark rock 4 (non pro) for £40 but idk if I trust that, aklso a b grade 4 pro for £65

If it's a difference of £5 between the AIO and the air coolers, I am not sure what decision to make 

2 hours ago, x Princess Leliana x said:

Yup.

Oh the ak 620 wins by far here for price. As for performance the ak620 will be a bit better and will do better at lower noise levels. The deepcool fans are louder since these are the cheaper ones made for their aio's.

Either way between that deepcool you like or a a620 you cannot go wrong for the cpu you have. The ak620 will be better out of the box and quieter. The deepcool will be louder and a bit worse but have the rgb bling you seem to want.

So updates are good, new cooler came, cinnebench multi core never got higher than 76, which is nice, fans get loud under load as one would expect but its fine, just fan noise, maybe a little louder than my last ones, but no rattling irritating noise. 

Only 10k in cinnebench though, compared to 20k of a similar system, why is that?

Two questions: 

First, who the hell do I believe on CPU temp? Ryzenmaster reports just a single flat temperature, 35 on idle on desktop, 76 under load. 

Hardware monitor reports 76 under load as well, but reports 60 on desktop on some parts, which one is right?

Secondly, what do I do with my old cooler? It's too old and buggered to be resold, part of the block is corroded which probably didnt help, definitely EOL, I can't just bin it, what do?