Internet working at 5% of proper speed

TreeBronch
Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

Powerline is notoriously bad for keeping consistent connections especially with multiple powerline devices in the mix.

The powerline adapters you linked are all 10/100Mbps ports, you'll never got more than ~90Mbps in a best case scenario. Anything in the path such as a UPS or surge protector will kill the speed and being on different phases or circuts can cause issues for one computer whereas another can be on a different circuit without issues.

So for almost two years now I have had 5mbps on my computer. Yesterday I started downloading a 35 gigabyte file, and it is going to take over a DAY to finish downloading. If I check the speed of my internet in the status menu, it says 100mbps (note that I'm using two cat5 cables linking two TL-PA4010 to the router and my computer. The router's port is gigabit, and that I know of, my internet plan is for 100mbps, however it may be gigabit.) Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this, as I have already tried the following:

-Wireless connection

-Switching cables

-Trying a metered connection

-Plugging into a different port on my computer

EDIT: This is with a recent reboot, and with only a download manager, 4 firefox tabs, and malwarebytes running as applications.

What does https://fast.com say, INCLUDING the MORE DETAILS button?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I usually get around that much in fast.com, but when actually am downloading things like files using either firefox, free download manager, or even steam, I get a speed that's usually within 100kbps to 1mbps

If possible, connect your computer directly to your ISP's modem using a single cable and rerun the test. This will rule out any issues with your equipment. If the results are still pretty much the same you'll need to contact your ISP because 8.5 is not 100.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I will try this a bit later, I have a desktop unfortunately so it will take some time to do this.

I will respond back once I have done this.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have just noticed that this seems to be happening to all of the computer we have that run TL-PA4010's, as our laptops are running 100mbps+. Still, the other desktop using the TL-PA4010 is getting at least 26 mbps, while the other (the one I am talking about) is getting a mere 8mbps.

Powerline is notoriously bad for keeping consistent connections especially with multiple powerline devices in the mix.

The powerline adapters you linked are all 10/100Mbps ports, you'll never got more than ~90Mbps in a best case scenario. Anything in the path such as a UPS or surge protector will kill the speed and being on different phases or circuts can cause issues for one computer whereas another can be on a different circuit without issues.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Thanks! That may be it! Only thing is, what else can I use to have proper internet connection, I do not have any ethernet ports in the room I am in, and a wireless adapter is still slow for me. Also, how does that make sense when speed shown in the status menu is 100mbps, or is that not related at all?

Just now, TreeBronch said:

Thanks! That may be it! Only thing is, what else can I use to have proper internet connection, I do not have any ethernet ports in the room I am in, and a wireless adapter is still slow for me. Also, how does that make sense when speed shown in the status menu is 100mbps, or is that not related at all?

The link speed between you and the powerline adapter is 100Mbps but the link speed between the powerline adapters is different and is where the bottleneck is coming from.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Okay, that makes sense, but is there any way I can fix this?

how fast is your supposed internet connection? .. 

and how much are you getting out of it? 

The internet speed should be around 100mbps, I don't remember how fast the plan was, but 100mbps should be achievable, because it was achieved on one of our laptops on the same internet.

9 minutes ago, TreeBronch said:

Okay, that makes sense, but is there any way I can fix this?

Unfortunately not really, you can try moving it off any power strips and whatnot into the wall directly or trying different outlets but unless you want to rip out the power lines themselves and replace them there isn't much else that can be done =/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

i've had issues with drivers in windows where i had to reset... and or reinstall completly to get it running.. you could try by uninstalling your NIC and reinstall drivers for it.. if it don't help.. try reinstalling.. 

there are many reasons for a slow connection.. and it's always slowest link that gives you your speed.. 

If I have my laptop running for too long, it'll go from 150mbps to maybe 15, and just have to turn off wifi on laptop and turn it back on which is something MS needs to patch in W11