How to remove graphics card*

frozensun
Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Ok, could you please be kind and explain me step by step....

Its the same as before:

0: Read all the instructions below and actually do them

1: Unscrew the I/O bracket

2: Push down the retention lever (you can take your finger off)

3: Grab the graphics card with both hands

4: Pull the graphics card straight away from the motherboard, steadily, but firmly.

5: Repeat step 4 until it is complete

Hello good people.
I neeed to remove the graphics card to install nvme.
I remember a year ago I gave up because I didn't know the way.
I generally know that this retension clip (marked in the picture) should be pressed and it should pop out by itself, but as far as I remember, that didn't happen, and I was afraid to pull it towards me because the same retension clip on the Asrock board once broke.
Can someone tell me exactly how to remove the graphics card so I don't damage the retension clip
The mainboard is from Asus as well as GPU.

20220813_104842.jpg

20220813_104836.jpg

20220813_104813.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Flathead screwdriver or a pen or something, push it down.  Roughly elbow-length of arm force.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Sometimes the latch or retention clip is stuck with the GPU, if you rarely or have never pulled out your GPU, it is especially hard for the first time. 

I recently experienced the same situation after my first upgrade in so many years. 

After pushing down the latch with a screw driver or a ruler(I used ruler because of massive air cooler), gently pull the GPU with both hands, make sure you exert equal force on both hands so it wont get stuck.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

3 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Sometimes the latch or retention clip is stuck with the GPU, if you rarely or have never pulled out your GPU, it is especially hard for the first time. 

I recently experienced the same situation after my first upgrade in so many years. 

After pushing down the latch with a screw driver or a ruler(I used ruler because of massive air cooler), gently pull the GPU with both hands, make sure you exert equal force on both hands so it wont get stuck.

So i push the retension latch so it stays flat and THEN use both hands ton push the card towards me?
I'll use a brush for painting made from wood but opposite edge (it it thin).

So push on the retension leverer at these "triangle edges"?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

So i push the retension latch so it stays flat and THEN use both hands ton push the card towards me?

Don't forget about the two other screws on the I/O bracket

have the same thing on my computer, when i remove it i make sure i have a finger pushing it down which is probably the most uncomftorable thing ever because asus thought its fun to make it have such little surface area for my finger and as long as i push down i can easily remove my gpu

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

you push on the clip where you have the red circle in this first pic. once it's unlatched, and the screws are out, it should just pull out(don't yank it though), no need for any pushing while removing it.

I rememeber I did what @Dukesilver27- wrote but couldn't remove the card.

It simply was stuck...maybe I'd need to use more force...that is why I gave up.

I broke once retension leverer don't want to break it on this board.

8 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I broke mine already and I think it's better now 😅

With huge GPU they don't really tighten the GPU and are a pain when removing it...

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

12 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I suppose the only thing left is to exert more force, but still be gentle. My retention clip came off, and my heart dropped when that happened, thankfully it just came off and nothing was broken. 

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

@For Science! found my older post where I had an issue removing card back then...I remember that pushing cards towards me,previously pushing retension leveler card looked like it is simply jammed somehow.

And I quit.

So I'm not repeating same procedure today,there must be some TRICK.

50 minutes ago, frozensun said:

For what its worth....

Put the case down on its back panel so that the GPU is up, unscrew the screws on the PCIe bracket, and then push down the PCIe lock and then pull the card up.

Maybe not pulling horizontally and instead vertically will make it better for you. Otherwise as I have said 1 year ago, get a friend in to show you in person. There is no trick.

Posting a video of exactly what you are doing may also let us know what youre doing wrong.

1 hour ago, frozensun said:

The Trick is to remove the clip before installing the gpu. They are useless. 

It won't pop off...I'm pressing the retension clip but it won't release the graphics card...looks like kinda jammed as I said.

Maybe I need to apply even more force?

It won't pop off...I'm pressing the retension clip but it won't release the graphics card...looks like kinda jammed as I said.

The clip is fine where it is, it is already in the unlocked position. Looks like you just need more force in the right direction (you are moving the card up and down in the video, you need to pull it towards you) to pull the card out. And no, if you do it right, there is no damage to the card or motherboard.

The force required to remove a graphics card, in my opinion is about the same as removing a EU plug.

9673719_800.jpg

Or alternatively, a little bit less than prying two large Lego blocks apart

4c13l8npqxj81.jpg?auto=webp&s=ea5b8278b395dd09f2324a67dd030c44364d7bed

and significantly less than prying two small Lego planks apart

KilwIBK.png

Pull, in the video it looks like you are barely pulling on it. Two fingers will not cut it. Grab that sucker with two firm hands and tug. It's not as delicate as you think.

Nope, I did apply the pressure to retension leveler it simply won't move, like it is stuck...

I quit....

Yeah that is barely enough pressure push a keyboard key. My PCIE lock thing requires so much pressure that it hurts my finger to push down.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Yeah that is barely enough pressure push a keyboard key. My PCIE lock thing requires so much pressure that it hurts my finger to push down.

Could be.Motherboard is brand new...I never used that leveler since installing card.

I have no issues installing/uninstalling GPU from my Rampage V Extreme,piece of cake, dunno why this board is making me such an issue...

Just now, frozensun said:

Could be.Motherboard is brand new...I never used that leveler since installing card.

Nope.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

Nope.

I'm telling you my MoBo is relatively new...

Just now, frozensun said:

I'm telling you my MoBo is relatively new...

Mine is newer and I am able to remove my graphics card just fine.

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

Mine is newer and I am able to remove my graphics card just fine.

Well mine not , so what?

24 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Nope, I did apply the pressure to retension leveler it simply won't move, like it is stuck...

I quit....

Your motherboard manual should have instructions on how the release mechanism works.  

If you can't figure it out, I'd suggest taking your computer to a repair shop/store where a qualified technician can help you out and do it for you.