Keep windows 10 or go to Windows 11

MGWT1981

After a week of research and many questions on LTT forums, I finally got all the PC components I desire in order to upgrade and build my 4th PC for gaming. Currently my mobo cannot run TPM 2.0, but the one I am getting is capable of it. So my question: once built, do I keep windows 10 until they kill it (Oct. 2025 according to Windows) or do I take the jump with W 11. I have W 11 at the office and am not really a fan of the look or other things, but other people have told me I should go to W11. And if I do go to W11, should I do a clean install. I mean, I know it will clean out the system and make it work "smoother" etc etc., but I really do not want to spend the time downloading all the programs again, etc etc.

Struggling to make up my mind on these questions, so decided to go here, to my fellow trusted PC gurus and get your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks for whatever comments and advice you give.  

No need for a clean install, upgrade almost always works fine. But somewhat depends - do you need 11? Like do you have Intel 12th gen CPU that is recommended to use 11.

No real pressure any way. 11 has gotten better, but 10 is fine.

I edit my posts more often than not

I'm keeping Windows10, don't see any meaningful nor even meaningless improvements in Windows 11... May change stance if DirectStorage becomes a real thing

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

17 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

No need for a clean install, upgrade almost always works fine. But somewhat depends - do you need 11? Like do you have Intel 12th gen CPU that is recommended to use 11.

No real pressure any way. 11 has gotten better, but 10 is fine.

I am getting an i7-12700k. IS it recommended that I use W11 on this?

9 minutes ago, MGWT1981 said:

Probably it won't make colossal difference in any case:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2358-intel-alder-lake-windows-11-benchmark/

Before I was under the impression that 11 had better management of Alder Lakes "efficiency cores" but it probably doesn't.

I edit my posts more often than not

5 minutes ago, MGWT1981 said:

If I was building a new computer I probably use Windows 11.  It is just not a good upgrade from Win 10 on an existing system.

It sort of reminds me of Windows 8 since it was not a good upgrade from Windows 7.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 minutes ago, jones177 said:

If I was building a new computer I probably use Windows 11.  It is just not a good upgrade from Win 10 on an existing system.

It sort of reminds me of Windows 8 since it was not a good upgrade from Windows 7.

Would you upgrade or do a clean install? I agree with yor analogy

8 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Probably it won't make colossal difference in any case:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2358-intel-alder-lake-windows-11-benchmark/

Before I was under the impression that 11 had better management of Alder Lakes "efficiency cores" but it probably doesn't.

Thanks for the comment and the article. I do not overclock or use it in intensive ways so even if there was a difference, I would imagine it would not be significant for the purposes for which I would use it.  However, I am not expert either. The article seems to indicate that 

I would not go for Windows 11 as someone that uses windows 11 on work pc and 10 on personal I highly prefer the windows 10, things are easier to find and change, also windows 11 often has some weird bugs, they are mostly ironed out now, but not all of them sometimes an option to create anything besides a folder disappears, which is hilarious, that I need to restart my pc in order to create a text file. I would keep it until they kill windows 10, as it's just better in almost every way. You probably heard of the famous Microsoft release pattern (good,bad,good,bad,good,bad) (windows xp, windows vista, windows 7, windows 8, windows 10, windows 11)

38 minutes ago, DemiGod said:

I would not go for Windows 11 as someone that uses windows 11 on work pc and 10 on personal I highly prefer the windows 10, things are easier to find and change, also windows 11 often has some weird bugs, they are mostly ironed out now, but not all of them sometimes an option to create anything besides a folder disappears, which is hilarious, that I need to restart my pc in order to create a text file. I would keep it until they kill windows 10, as it's just better in almost every way. You probably heard of the famous Microsoft release pattern (good,bad,good,bad,good,bad) (windows xp, windows vista, windows 7, windows 8, windows 10, windows 11)

Those are somewhat my thoughts. Plus, I wad thinking of holding off anyway until the next gen of ssds come out (apacer already made one apparently) and then pu W11 on one of those when ever they kill 10. BUt, again, I am still struggling to make decisions regarding this. Your comments are helpful. Especially about the bugs. If I keep 10, will W11 force me to upgrade like a regular update? Or is it my choice. Cause W10 auto updates and gives me the option to postpone the install. Hoping I do not have to deal with that with W11 and I can just do it whennever I want to do it. 

Thanks

33 minutes ago, MGWT1981 said:

Those are somewhat my thoughts. Plus, I wad thinking of holding off anyway until the next gen of ssds come out (apacer already made one apparently) and then pu W11 on one of those when ever they kill 10. BUt, again, I am still struggling to make decisions regarding this. Your comments are helpful. Especially about the bugs. If I keep 10, will W11 force me to upgrade like a regular update? Or is it my choice. Cause W10 auto updates and gives me the option to postpone the install. Hoping I do not have to deal with that with W11 and I can just do it whennever I want to do it. 

Thanks

It will annoyingly suggest you windows 11 upgrade, but it won't force you, just be carefull not to accept on accident.

1 hour ago, MGWT1981 said:

Would you upgrade or do a clean install? I agree with yor analogy

I always do clean installs.   

All my upgrades from Windows 7 to 10 were a disaster and I ended up doing clean installs. 

All but one of my clean installs worked out fine. So 1 in 7.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

• 5 months later...
On 8/12/2022 at 5:15 PM, PDifolco said:

I'm keeping Windows10, don't see any meaningful nor even meaningless improvements in Windows 11... May change stance if DirectStorage becomes a real thing

there would be lots of features in 11 id like to try (not that I'm convinced they're actually an improvement,  hence try) or use linux and windows at the same time no bootloader nonsense...  

but I'll be honest i don't think i will ever use an OS where you cannot "right click copy > right click paste" without scrolling or clicking "more options" first ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 3 weeks later...

Use Windows 10 until it no longer serves your specific needs or becomes unsupported.

There is nothing wrong with using current gen hardware/software if it does what you want it to do. It took me SEVEN YEARS to upgrade my GPU from a 2015 era 980Ti because there wasn't a need; it ran my games just fine. It was only replaced due a mechanical failure.

As a personal note, when changing operating systems I always choose a clean install. Just feels better. Hard to explain.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro