Nothing Phone (1) Terrible Support

This is my first post, I'm a long time LTT fan but never a forum user, but this issue drove me to create an account just to post about the radio silence I've gotten from Carl Pei's new venture into the smartphone world

I got the Nothing Phone (1) on release day as I had been tracking it with interest and my old One Plus Nord just happened to break a few days before the release, I received the Phone (1)  on the 27th of July and was pretty impressed however thought it seemed very fragile, well it seems my fears were correct, I dropped the phone from a small height, less than a foot, and the entire back glass (Under which lies the phones big USP) smashed and the phone itself also now has a slight bend. This happened on the 2nd of August and I immediately created a support ticket as this is how you are supposed to initiate an RMA, after a week of hearing nothing back at all except for the email to confirm that my ticket had been created, I created yet another ticket requesting the same thing and mentioning how I hadn't heard anything back yet. It's now been another 2 days and still have not heard anything from either tickets. On top of this the phone itself is apparently extremely difficult to repair even if you can manage to find the very very limited spare parts that are out there. I'm super disappointed with  this process so far and was just wondering if anyone has had any similar issues so far or could help in any way.

Thanks,

Andrew

Don't think many people have managed to drop a week old phone just yet to help you out. Maybe try the nothing phone subreddit or something. They'll be really intrigued. 

Smashing any phone within a week of its release is gonna be difficult to repair because they often haven't had the stock shipped out yet let alone get stock of repair parts shipped.

2 Days and no response from customer support? If any customer support responds to you within a week that's already considered top 0.001% customer care performance. If they don't get back to you after 30 days then it might be worth raising a ticket again.

Since your biggest fear is smashing your phone, hope you got at least some extra protection when you bought the phone. Heard most carriers had like a $30 a year free replacement drop protection programme.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

That sucks.

Why would you expect anything? Their name gave away what they are willing to provide - Nothing.

Sorry, couldn't resist the bad joke. Their name is just weird....

Why do you think an RMA will help for physical damage? They still should at least respond, though. If you are lucky they help, but honestly, I don't think they are obligated to warranty it.

Maybe try fixit or local repair shops. But as mentioned above, a brand new phone from a minor company likely won't have many parts and repair instructions yet.

I hate this fashion of slippery glass phones. Best you can do is get a good case with screen protector.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

12 hours ago, Andrewmoo said:

dropped the phone from a small height, less than a foot, and the entire back glass (Under which lies the phones big USP) smashed and the phone itself also now has a slight bend.

Hope you had some insurance on the device. Because most warranties dont cover user created damage. And it doesnt matter that it wasn't dropped from high up either. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, Donut417 said:

And it doesnt matter that it wasn't dropped from high up either. 

And the RMA person probably will assume the OP dropped it from 2m height on a stone. Everybody who calls in makes it sound like it just fell 2cm on soft carpet. I'm not saying the OP is dishonest, but if the factory would give warranty to everyone who says they didn't drop it from high, everybody would do an RMA. 

And all warranties are for defects in material and manufacturing. What the OP would have needed is an insurance (and I'm not proposing insurance for phones since they are rip offs and not a life changing catastrophic even like your house burning down). Go buy a car, then hit a wall "but only at very low speed" and claim warranty for the damage. Let us know how it goes.... 

Still bad for them not even responding. 

I still stand by my point to use a protective case with screen protector. If you don't, you just have to live with the fact that it gets damaged before the end of useful life. It is a very bad trend that phones get tiny, made of glass and have no protection from factory. I also blame YT reviewers who spend half the review talking about the color options, which are meaningless with a case. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro