what could cause a pc to just randomly stop working overnight?

basically im buying a p8z68 and the seller said the board was owned by a teacher, he said something along the lines of the pc it was in working completely fine while at night but then the next morning when the teacher went to turn it on it just didnt work anymore (aka didnt boot)

what are the possible causes that would cause stuff like this to happen?

i do know if a board just straight up dies while its being used is just a big nono to buy cause its usually unrepairable damage but if its a board that died because it wasnt used in months then thats usually something thats easily fixed by just cleaning the board and itll just work again, this is in the middle cause yes it died while it wasnt being used but the timeframe it wasnt used is very short which is abit concerning since it might not be a dust problem and the board itself by pictures looks very clean which is also concerning

Power surge comes to mind. You might not notice it in your sleep.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Power surge comes to mind. You might not notice it in your sleep.

i think ill pass then cause thats one of those its completely fked beyond repair damage

atleast if i buy mutliple boards i wont be out on money if a board is dead since i can still sell the working ones for a profit so guess ill just wait for this d3h to sell and get multiple boards instead of one

actually the seller sent some pics of the socket

Screenshot_20220810_135808.thumb.jpg.0925b16eb8df6a1a1530a9e51aa2ee88.jpg

not much board dust but thats a pretty dusty socket, if its that dusty then its likely dust malfuction though ill have to check again if the seller got it in that condition or not, def dust in the areas where itd screw some stuff up (data pins)

edit: board cleaned of dust so it was likely quite dusty, this looks like a simple clean and easy fix

There is also a scratch on the socket frame. Also the socket is the only thing you need to see.

On another not there is a lot of browing happening on that board. That looks like some slight corrosion.

25 minutes ago, jaslion said:

There is also a scratch on the socket frame. Also the socket is the only thing you need to see.

On another not there is a lot of browing happening on that board. That looks like some slight corrosion.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Actually scratch that severe corrosion. Was this near a body of water possibly with salt in it?

God damn i didnt even realize it was that bad, well indo has alot of shores so wouldnt be surprised if this is from a person that lives close to a shore. Ive also seen worse corrosion on a p5q pro

Though i think i may change plans here cause this z68 would only sell for ~33$ if i got it working which is ok ig but there are some dirt cheap broken h55 boards that can sell for 20$ ea and total only ~12$ (+ an i3 540 as the cpu cause cheap and westmere) so 48$ profit accounting for the test cpu if i get all of em working, if at worst only one of them works ill still get a minor profit, this is why i like buying multiple cheaper boards cause atleast if some die ill still have some redundancy and im not left out with a really bad loss

Screenshot_20220810_161746.thumb.jpg.2bd3ed5d9d73a4403eadd6e851a2c992.jpg

Also heres another pic of the mobo