Is Comcast trying to scam me (Free Pixel 6a)?

Flux Azreal

So i've got a message today saying someone bought games of thrones season 1 for 34.99$, the message came from the same message tab where all my xfinity messages go, i recieve outages report and such from the same number. I guess the only one who could buy that would be one of my family memebers who are using my xfinity flex, I asked them and they said they didn't but when I go to https://www.xfinity.com/stream/purchases it says i have it purchased image.png.e4ff013a573c5ae9678a277f48cce63d.png

So I go to chat with xfinity using the link on the text and it shows some guy/women named Supriya who said she refunded my purchase, but i still see it on my streams thing as purchased and idk how to confirm if it's been refunded or not. Or if it was even bought in the first place, then he tells me that only today i'll be able to get a pixel 6a for free, and all I need to give him is my SSN and DOB.

IMG_0645.png

I was confused so I went to the xfinity contact site and clicked live chat, i told them about it and they said it's true, and to give the person my information. Then he said I could call or text this number: 1 (888) 936-4968 I looked the number up and got this

image.png.8a6871a71033f21375eb8d0e0c85cafc.png

Then I'm all confused because these scammers are operating within Xfinity's chat system and text/call number?! Am I being over paranoid? I feel like i'm gaslighting myself or something, I honestly don't even know where to start or what to think anymore. Someone please help me! 

Oh and i've copied the link of my chat, I can't tell if it's fake or not, does anyone know a way to find out?

https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?intent=skill.billing.vod.purchase.response.sms%3FentityId%3D7619308878117350114%26DeviceId%3DFlex%26Timestamp%3D1660009716000%26Title%3DBuy Game of Thrones HD - Season 1&referrer=CMP

Thank you!

My friend has Xfinity phone service and despite it supposedly being the same as Verizon it just does not work worth a crap.  I think the verizon towers give xfinity clients lower priority or something.  I had that issue with metro by tmobile and a technician had to walk me through setting my phone up to identify as a real tmobile line.  I'm not sure if the same type of thing is available for verizon/xfinity but I wouldn't risk it.  It just seems like a garbage system and has horrible customer service as well. 

8 hours ago, IRMacGuyver said:

My friend has Xfinity phone service and despite it supposedly being the same as Verizon it just does not work worth a crap.  I think the verizon towers give xfinity clients lower priority or something.  I had that issue with metro by tmobile and a technician had to walk me through setting my phone up to identify as a real tmobile line.  I'm not sure if the same type of thing is available for verizon/xfinity but I wouldn't risk it.  It just seems like a garbage system and has horrible customer service as well. 

I can't agree more with you. But i'm using xfinity for my home network, and I have no other options, it's the only ISP thats available

This is almost 100% a scam, they would never ask for your SSN and DOB for a free phone like this.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Also a google search shows the free phone is only if you port in a line or add a new line but they're trying to get your SSN and DOB, that's definitely not how it works.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

First of all never click on links in messages. If you had concerns over purchase I’m assuming it would be listed in your accounts page at the Comcast website. Or you call the 1-800 number. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

You guys have to provide your SSN to random companies like that? Weird man... In Canada, our SIN (Social Insurance Number, basically same as SSN) are only ever given out to new jobs and banks for taxation. Even credit cards don't need it if they have your other info, it will be linked back to you automatically. Service providers are certainly not collecting them either.

Seriously, this screams scam to me. I wouldn't be surprised if you had some sort of redirect on your device that hijacked the "official" messaging service/website and showed you a fake one. Use a different device, not on your network, and log to your comcast account by using the actual website and not through any links.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

You guys have to provide your SSN to random companies like that?

It’s because they use it to run a credit report. For example if you want to finance a phone via a carrier they will check your credit to determine what the down payment will be. 

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

This is almost 100% a scam, they would never ask for your SSN and DOB for a free phone like this.

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

You guys have to provide your SSN to random companies like that? Weird man... In Canada, our SIN (Social Insurance Number, basically same as SSN) are only ever given out to new jobs and banks for taxation. Even credit cards don't need it if they have your other info, it will be linked back to you automatically. Service providers are certainly not collecting them either.

Seriously, this screams scam to me. I wouldn't be surprised if you had some sort of redirect on your device that hijacked the "official" messaging service/website and showed you a fake one. Use a different device, not on your network, and log to your comcast account by using the actual website and not through any links.

You both would have thought... So many us identities are stolen because basically everyone needs your dang ssn...

Has stuff to do with credit and criminal background checks. 

Dreadfully idiotic that all this information is handwritten in so many places and given on paper to near minimum wage workers. 

2 hours ago, fpo said:

You both would have thought... So many us identities are stolen because basically everyone needs your dang ssn...

Has stuff to do with credit and criminal background checks. 

Dreadfully idiotic that all this information is handwritten in so many places and given on paper to near minimum wage workers. 

Its because there is a group of people in the US that will NOT allow the government to issue national ID cards that have proper protections built in. Instead we are issued a paper card with 9 digits on it. All because the I dont trust the government crowd. But these same dip shits have drivers licenses, which contains identifying information. 

38 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Its because there is a group of people in the US that will NOT allow the government to issue national ID cards that have proper protections built in. Instead we are issued a paper card with 9 digits on it. All because the I dont trust the government crowd. But these same dip shits have drivers licenses, which contains identifying information. 

That's dumb lol.
Social Security is already your identification.

EDIT:
Or... an identification by federal level

Scam.

They should not ask for that info.

And they only give out free stuff to existing customers if you add a service.

Most companies don't give two shatners about existing customers. 

All special deals are aimed at getting new customers. 

6 hours ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Scam.

They should not ask for that info.

Its not uncommon for companies to legit ask for this info though. You dont have to give it, but they might charge you more, like I said in my previous post about T Mobile. 

Also Comcast on its own is a fucking scam. 

6 hours ago, Bryan-10EC said:

Most companies don't give two shatners about existing customers. 

All special deals are aimed at getting new customers. 

Thats because they need to bring new customers in for new revenue streams. This is America we are talking about, the greediest of the greedy live in this country. The only thing that matters is making more money at any cost. 

On 8/9/2022 at 11:10 AM, Lurick said:

Maybe I missunderstood but I thought they were asking him to sign up for the xfinity cellphone service with a free phone as incentive.  They do ask for your SSN and DOB to run your credit when opening a new phone account.  I always go into a store to do this sort of stuff cause I like to deal with a person in case it is a scam.  I would go to an xfinity store with this ad and ask them to match the offer in store that I saw online.  But like I said maybe I misunderstood 

On 8/9/2022 at 12:43 PM, TetraSky said:

You guys have to provide your SSN to random companies like that?

They aren't random.  It's supposed to be for utility services like phone companies to run your credit background.  At least I don't consider xfinity to be random.  However there is an option to sign up for an IRS individual taxpayer identification number.  This alleviates you from having to use your SSN for credit history checks.  The problem is that in the end it can lead to just as much identity theft as your real SSN.  This is why I go to places in person to make sure it's the real company and not a spoofed email or website. 

On 8/9/2022 at 10:23 AM, Flux Azreal said:

I can't agree more with you. But i'm using xfinity for my home network, and I have no other options, it's the only ISP thats available

I assumed that Comcast was offering you a phone to get on their cellular network.  If it's just a random company offering to send you a "free" phone then it's a scam.  If it's actually a comcast ad trying to get you to use their cellphone then it's different.

5 hours ago, IRMacGuyver said:

Maybe I missunderstood but I thought they were asking him to sign up for the xfinity cellphone service with a free phone as incentive.  They do ask for your SSN and DOB to run your credit when opening a new phone account.  I always go into a store to do this sort of stuff cause I like to deal with a person in case it is a scam.  I would go to an xfinity store with this ad and ask them to match the offer in store that I saw online.  But like I said maybe I misunderstood 

Yah, I took it as the person on the chat was just asking for their SSN and DOB to confirm something for a free phone

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: