Backpack - why not put water bottle pouch on the outside? + warranty?

MrMitty

Everything about this backpack seems to be great except for the water bottle storage. I carry a Nalgene 50oz/1.5L water bottle all the time in the external elastic pouch of my current backpack. I think that's a much better place for liquid storage than on the inside of a backpack where electronics are stored. What is the logic behind storing the water bottle on the inside instead of the outside? 

Also, what's the warranty? 

Putting the bottle inside made it secure, I suppose thats why they went with that option, also keeps the outside of the pack the same dimensions at all times as opposed to having stuff hang off of it? And they designed the pack to work with their bottles in mind, they dont leak so having them inside is of no concern really, also the pocket for the bottle is separate from the main electronics pocket. On the WAN show he said they havent officially declared a warranty but basically said if you have an issue just contact support and they will help you out. If the pack is as good as they say it is I would guess the defective rate will be so low they will just replace anything that actually breaks

6 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

And they designed the pack to work with their bottles in mind, they dont leak so having them inside is of no concern really

That's not very comforting: Mistakes happen - someone could accidentally not tighten the cap properly. Things fail, eventually, and I would rather have a water bottle fail on the outside of my bag. 

Also, what if I want frequent access to the bottle? It's much more likely that someone will be reaching for water more frequently than other items. 

Other companies make external water bottle holders that are around $10-$15. It looks to me like you should be able to attach one of these pretty easily to the outside of the bag on the side where the carabiner is. As someone who also prefers my water bottle on the outside, that's my plan.

• 2 months later...

The internal bottle storage is one of the main points for me.  My use case is carrying a thermos of coffee.   I want it to always stand upright to avoid leakage.  I do not want it on the outside as "quick access" is not a thing I require.

Even when I was carrying water, I never needed to constantly pull out and put away the bottle when I wasn't stopped and the bag was open.  This is NOT my hiking bag -- that's smaller and specific to that application.  This is my go to work bag or day tripper bag.  In those cases, having upright storage internally is much more suitable than anything hanging off the side of the bag.

But everyone has their own use cases.

I don't recall if the backpack was designed with dimensions to be carry on for flights, but if it was, I'd imagine putting the water bottle holder on the outside would mean you'd have to check the backpack before the flight.

7 minutes ago, castlev said:

I don't recall if the backpack was designed with dimensions to be carry on for flights, but if it was, I'd imagine putting the water bottle holder on the outside would mean you'd have to check the backpack before the flight.

I don’t know if they intentionally designed it to be, but I do know, from pics and what Linus has said, it fits perfectly under the seat on planes 

On 10/25/2022 at 5:29 PM, castlev said:

It could be made stretchy or something, I very much doubt it would matter.
Oh and of course you could argue that it would stick out with a bottle in it, but considering you can't bring such quantities of liquid anyway, it's not really a thing.

The bag is very square.  Nothing bumps out.  Having water bottle or not doesn't change the external dimensions of the bag.  That's not true with external bottle storage.  Could be a consideration point if one of the goals was to never exceed a certain size.

i have a kensington secure trek 17” bag but  prefer the interior bottle compartment i always felt my water bottle was going to fallout with the Kensington bag but the ltt bag its better as its internal and no chance of my bottle getting loose also as i intend to use it as a travel bag (EDC  it’s a bit too bulky really looking for a smaller daily use tech bag) i go through airport security on a daily basis(airport employee) and would prefer using the ltt bag over the Kensington one i will post a full review after some real travel but so far its gonna replace my current carry on bag