Way too off topic :).. Manual driving

StareX

Hello peepz! tech fans! And especially the ones WHO drive cars.

I'm learning how to drive with my instructor and I need help! I already past my 6th lesson, I already know about the car but what pisses me off, that I can't get the clutch right.. What do I mean? See what I know on how to DRIVE... Actually DRIVE....

This is what I do everytime:

1st step, press the clutch all the way down, put my right foot on the brake, shift to 1st gear, leave the brake risking the chance of the car rolling backwards (on high roads) or forward (on flat roads) and then press alittle bit of gas and release the clutch real slow.

However, I always get somewhat "stuck" in mid traffic.. you hear me?? Like, I see other people who are experienced drivers using clutch and they're driving BEFORE me!!

Well, what should I really do? Put the clutch all the way down, rev the engine by pressing the engine pedal, wait for the red light to become green and release the clutch slowly??? Or.. srsly, what? :D...

Can anyone clear it out for me? please? :)

I know this is WAYYY beyond tech and off topics, but I really need that kind of person (cuz I dont understand youtube) to tell me exactly on how to begin to drive without stalling anyone behind me (I hear LOTS of "PEEEEEP PEEEEEEP" :x)

Anyone? :)

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

You also could get a super car like a some lamborghini, so you would not need a clutch. :)

Really, put clutch down, change gear, get clutch and brake up. 

Just ignore the dudes behind you and you'll figure it out over time. Honestly there's no perfect receipt that can be told over text/video. Ask your instructor to show you again and then learn by doing. I'm no driving for 2 1/2 years and I felt that after 1/2 a year after I got my license I finally figured out the most part of driving with all its tricks and hassles.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

@StareX

Each car has a different behavior for the clutch. Some are soft and others are a little stiff. It's all about finding the "biting point" with the clutch plates.

The practice I was taught when I learnt to drive. Was to ease the revs at 2k rpm and slowly lift on the clutch, until you feel the revs dip. Hold the clutch there and ease a little more gas. Lift slowly on the clutch until the car is in motion and lift fully.

It takes practice. I struggled a little at first with controlling the clutch. But with practice it'll become second nature :D  

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Is the car petrol or diesel?

When you ease the clutch, you should feel a point at which the car starts to inch forward. That is the sweet point. Just beyond that sweet point, you should add a little throttle to make it go. When you achieve that, just slowly ease the clutch further keep on adding a LITTLE throttle, until you let go of the clutch. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

@StareX

The practice I was taught when I learnt to drive. Was to ease the revs at 2k rpm and slowly lift on the clutch, until you feel the revs dip. Hold the clutch there and ease a little more gas. Lift slowly on the clutch until the car is in motion and lift fully.

That sounds horrible for the clutch :o. It's maybe ok to learn but you should really stop doing this if you want your clutch to survive past the first 2 years.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S

When you see the pedestrian light you should find the gripping point of the clutch (when you release the clutch slowly while holding the brake, the gripping point is when revs of the engine go down). Then go down a little bit, and when the lights turn green, go 1/4 to 1/2 throttle on the gas pedal, and release the clutch slowly, when you feel the car starting to move you can release the clutch faster and put full throttle at the same time, however, you might need to practice on a parking lot to get it right.

Hope this helps ;)

That French guy who lives in the Netherlands and speaks German.

That sounds horrible for the clutch :o. It's maybe ok to learn but you should really stop doing this if you want your clutch to survive past the first 2 years.

FYI It was what I was taught by my instructor. I've now been driving for 6 years and, yes, I don't do that lol.

In a way, it's a good technique to learn how the engine behaves as the clutch plates make contact. Once you get the feel. Then you can learn to feel the contacts without revving.

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

This comes with experience. Also, if you are on a really high road, use the hand brake aswell.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

FYI It was what I was taught by my instructor. I've now been driving for 6 years and, yes, I don't do that lol.

In a way, it's a good technique to learn how the engine behaves as the clutch plates make contact. Once you get the feel. Then you can learn to feel the contacts without revving.

Here in Germany all driving schools I know take a different approach. We learn to drive on cars running diesel with fairly high PS-number. You can work out the clutch and other things in "normal" settings (low rpm etc.) while it's still quite hard to stall due to the characteristics of diesel engines.

But it's good to hear that you stopped torturing your clutch :).

Hello peepz! tech fans! And especially the ones WHO drive cars.

I'm learning how to drive with my instructor and I need help! I already past my 6th lesson, I already know about the car but what pisses me off, that I can't get the clutch right.. What do I mean? See what I know on how to DRIVE... Actually DRIVE....

This is what I do everytime:

1st step, press the clutch all the way down, put my right foot on the brake, shift to 1st gear, leave the brake risking the chance of the car rolling backwards (on high roads) or forward (on flat roads) and then press alittle bit of gas and release the clutch real slow.

However, I always get somewhat "stuck" in mid traffic.. you hear me?? Like, I see other people who are experienced drivers using clutch and they're driving BEFORE me!!

Well, what should I really do? Put the clutch all the way down, rev the engine by pressing the engine pedal, wait for the red light to become green and release the clutch slowly??? Or.. srsly, what? :D...

Can anyone clear it out for me? please? :)

I know this is WAYYY beyond tech and off topics, but I really need that kind of person (cuz I dont understand youtube) to tell me exactly on how to begin to drive without stalling anyone behind me (I hear LOTS of "PEEEEEP PEEEEEEP" :x)

Anyone? :)

use the handbrake. bring clutch to bite with the handbrake on. build revs to ~4000rpm then let the handbrake off and let the clutch up fast, then the car in front won't get away :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

use the handbrake. bring clutch to bite with the handbrake on. build revs to ~4000rpm then let the handbrake off and let the clutch up fast, then the car in front won't get away :P

You'll never be so close behind/(in) a car again :D.

just drive off normally. If on a hill, use the handbrake

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Here in Germany all driving schools I know take a different approach. We learn to drive on cars running diesel with fairly high PS-number. You can work out the clutch and other things in "normal" settings (low rpm etc.) while it's still quite hard to stall due to the characteristics of diesel engines.

But it's good to hear that you stopped torturing your clutch :).

Ah, that will be why. I didn't learn in a diesel and I've only driven a diesel once (briefly (I hated it)). Indeed it's awful for the clutch in the long run. Also it's a noob maneuver. When I see other drivers do it, I think "oh god you noob, eugh you're killing your car *weeps*) hehe  

Dude just power shift, rev the engine high and shift bam, welcome to 3rd gear.. xD 
anyway to be real, it's really trail and error on this case.. everyone have their ways... to avoid the roll back, use the e-brake, rev high (1,500 - 2,500) and slowly come out.. it's hard to master that, but I live in NYC, so you learn the hard way. Even though, I finally got a automatic (thank the linus gods)

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

This is not something that can really be taught with text, I'd recommend watching some youtube tutorial videos to get more of a visual demonstration, especially ones that include footage of the driver's feet.

I taught myself in an hour. Overtime you just get better. Usually when I look at traffic lights, I check to see if my light is about to turn green. Right before it does I'm already in gear and Im about to release the clutch and start moving. If you do that you wont have any lag time.

Practice being fast enough to not use the brake in between releasing the clutch and stepping on the gas. 

The reason why those people are moving off a lot earlier is because they know the car they're driving in and can find the bite point very easily. Or they're driving an automatic :P Don't worry about making mistakes on your 6th lesson. Driving is a difficult and time consuming skill to master. You'll be making a few mistakes because there's so much to think about, and when you learn a new skill you're focusing on that so much that you forget about the simple things... It just takes time. I passed my driving test about 5 months ago now and I feel much more confident now I know the car I'm driving in.

Every car is different. The "bite point" where the clutch just starts to connect with the engine is different for each car, and it takes a little getting used to. You'll know when it's in contact because you'll hear the revs drop (the sound of the engine gets a little deeper). So when you move off, keep the clutch all the way down and apply a little bit of gas first - more if you're uphill, and less or even none if you're going downhill. Once it's safe, start to bring the clutch to the bite point (you can do this bit as quickly as you want, it won't stall the engine. Just don't go too far past the bite point or else it will stall). Once you're at the bite point, just slowly release the clutch and apply a little more gas if the car is having trouble. If you feel the car will stall (it tends to starts "thumping" before this) then either lower the clutch a little, apply more gas or put the clutch down all the way, apply the brake and try again.

When using the handbrake it's slightly different. You can get the car ready to move by applying gas and putting the clutch right on the bite point, with the handbrake applied. Once you're at the bite point the car will try to start moving - you'll feel it lower at the back slightly. At this point the car will move, once you're ready to release the handbrake. When starting on a hill, you should always use the handbrake when learning, because there's a high risk that you'll roll the car backwards and you could hit somebody.

I was always told by my instructor "if a pause becomes a wait, use the handbrake".

Good luck :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

What beginner usually do is give too much gas and release the clutch too fast. What I would do is just practise to give gas, dont rlease the clutch yet. Just lractice to give juuust enough gas, tge engine should not rev higher than about 1200-1500rp. Higher than than that would harm the clutch on the long run.

After that practise on findind the exact position of the friction point. You must be able to find it almost instinctively.

Now practice the two together on flat ground. When comfortable, move to a hill (little angle to begin) tou musr be fast to not givr time to the car to go backward. With time and practice, it becomes a second nature, trust me ;) sorry for the error i am writing on a slippery cell phone up side down. English is also not my firt language haha

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

guess its a little too early to talk about doing heel toe techniques but if I'm at a light and about to go I let the clutch off to just before the biting point and with my toe on the brake the heel hits the gas for a second listen to the revs go up and just as the revs come down to the right spot I slip the toe off the brake to the gas and get off the clutch in one movement. 

without doing the weird heel toe thing the important thing to do is to get a feel for the revs at which you let the clutch go. 

after putting in the gear you have to slowly release the clutch while pressing down the throttle

Thanks guys.. haha! epic.. I will try all your tips today :D

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

uhmmm

don't use brake pedal?

i mean when you're standing still

if it a steep road and you're going up, you should learn to start with a handbrake cos that means you can use 1 leg for clutch and 1 for gas, and not 1 for brake and gas and 1 for clutch (less dancing on the pedals and car won't roll back when you would change your foot from brake to gas)

if it's a low incline, use your clutch to make the car standing still, needs a bit of getting used to, but it's doable if you let the clutch grip just a bit, the car won't roll back and when you need to get going, just add gas and you'll get going and then you can slowly release the clutch

if you're going downhill, it easy as pie, hold the brake and clutch and when you need to get going, just release the brakes and then the clutch

if it's diesel powered car it's even easier since those cars tend to have more torque al low revs and can start going even w/o using gas pedal

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

If it hasn't been answered already (haven't read the thread) I do this. Hold the car with the brake (preferably the parking brake), bring the clutch up till I feel that it's got purchase and is tugging the car slightly, then apply a little gas you you release the brake and continue to bring the clutch up. It's tricky, but you'll get the hang of it.

Also, never ever care that you may be holding someone up behind. Far more important for you to pull away safely than roll backwards into their car

Also also, learn how to clutch control. If I can hold the clutch to keep the car from rolling down the hill I do. This allows me to either pull away really easily if I only have to wait a short while or apply the hand brake

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO