Can you tune the voltages of RDNA GPUs via MSI Afterburner?

Man
Go to solution Solved by Pixelfie,
7 hours ago, Man said:

I see. 

Did you try moving the right most point on the curve? It seems to me that AMD has removed the p-state system of GCN in favor on a single power state that dynamically adjusts its frequency and voltage, not much unlike Pascal onward.

That'd also explain why RDNA has a min-max voltage sliders while GCN based GPUs have 8 individual p-states:

That seems to work. You can change the minimum and maximum voltage which would also change the rest of the graph. But that's not really different from the Radeon software, just that you see a graph.

2 hours ago, Man said:

Also I managed to find this which suggests that MSI Afterburner won't work unless manual mode is enabled from the drivers. 

image.thumb.png.b8cc5cd5d716663fd2ad1d91332c7e61.png

For me Afterburner works fine with everything set to default in the Radeon control panel.

Considering replacing my R9-380 with an RX6600 and as the title suggests, I was wondering if is it possible to tweak the voltages of RDNA 2.0 GPUs via MSI Afterburner?

When I press Ctrl + F in MSI Afterburner; I get this neat curve editor (attached below) which is not only simpler than AMD's official voltage tweaking tool (lower p-states are automatically adjusted) but I can also assign hotkeys to various tune states as I play with capped frame rate (anywhere from 40Hz to 75Hz on my VRR) so it's not always necessary for me to run the GPU at full blast. 

Question is, do RDNA GPUs have a similar voltage tweaking utility or will I've to rely on the driver's built-in tool?

I'd be truly grateful if someone with an RDNA GPU could spare a moment of their time and test this out for me. Won't take more than a minute. 

Thanks!

image.png.9d833a0db48db3604a1f57c4689f40bd.png

5 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here but on my RX 6600 everything is greyed out.

image.thumb.png.0efa575a514791ff9e00f040d6401313.png

If you go into settings you can check the box "Unlock Voltage Control" in order to get them not greyed out (at least on my 6900 XT).

Still though, you don't have the same control that you have on those old Hawaii cards. You can do something like this, but you can't get really granular with it. I'd test to see if it did anything, but my card is currently BIOS modded with manual voltage control so I wouldn't reliably trust anything it shows. 

image.thumb.png.b6210cc4a4dc6799c813f23c5d1d3a68.png

57 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you go into settings you can check the box "Unlock Voltage Control" in order to get them not greyed out (at least on my 6900 XT).

I already had that enabled. I'll see tomorrow if I can fix it or if it's just locked with my card.

For OP, if this is the case, you might want to avoid the Powercolor Fighter model. In the Radeon control panel you can change it though. I think they did change the tuning in the control panel for RX 6000 but no graphs. I can make a screenshot if you want.

45 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

I already had that enabled. I'll see tomorrow if I can fix it or if it's just locked with my card.

For OP, if this is the case, you might want to avoid the Powercolor Fighter model. In the Radeon control panel you can change it though. I think they did change the tuning in the control panel for RX 6000 but no graphs. I can make a screenshot if you want.

I do want to stress that my card is running custom powerplay tables, so it's possible one of the settings I'm running enables control of voltage through there. 

7 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong here but on my RX 6600 everything is greyed out.

image.thumb.png.0efa575a514791ff9e00f040d6401313.png

I see. 

Did you try moving the right most point on the curve? It seems to me that AMD has removed the p-state system of GCN in favor on a single power state that dynamically adjusts its frequency and voltage, not much unlike Pascal onward.

That'd also explain why RDNA has a min-max voltage sliders while GCN based GPUs have 8 individual p-states:

c769ol6id1o71.png?width=855&format=png&auto=webp&s=c8a27a038650484202c7f640a6c39bb20a47f978

maxresdefault.jpg

Also I managed to find this which suggests that MSI Afterburner won't work unless manual mode is enabled from the drivers. 

7 hours ago, Man said:

I see. 

That seems to work. You can change the minimum and maximum voltage which would also change the rest of the graph. But that's not really different from the Radeon software, just that you see a graph.

2 hours ago, Man said:

For me Afterburner works fine with everything set to default in the Radeon control panel.

3 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

Nice!

You're absolutely right about MSI Afterburner being not much different than Radeon Settings but the thing is that I change voltages all the time, as I play with vsync with my monitor running at anywhere from 40Hz to 75Hz. 

It's inconvenient having to go into the settings menu and change voltages all the time whereas Afterburner allows me to make up to 5 different voltage/frequency presets and assign them hotkeys so I can change voltages on the fly. 

Anyhow, truly appreciate the help!