AMD follows Intel in warning that the PC market is falling apart.

Edward78
MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC), AMD Ryzen 7 2700 4.1 GHz, TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) Ram, EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC Gaming, 08G-P5-3663-KL, 8GB GDDR6, Metal Backplate, LHR

Not exactly news I guess, that market was already going down and only had a minor bump during the pandemics where everyone got stuck at home.

Now that things are going slowly back to normal, laptops and other mobile devices will be the norm again.

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I don't quite know how you managed that link but its fixed here: 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-intel-pc-market-is-falling-apart-093900149.html

Not sure if OP edited their post, but your link looks like the same as theirs.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Just now, igormp said:

Not sure if OP edited their post, but your link looks like the same as theirs.

They did.

I mean for the average person who only browses the internet and maybe does some things in office once and a while there wasn't really any reason to get a new PC for about a decade. Most PC's out there that are that old still do these workloads with relative ease to a point where replacing a perfectly fine working PC doesn't make sense for the average household. The only reason to buy a new one often is that the old one just went up in flames.

The work at home times during the pandemic changed that a bit because the PC's they had at home weren't fit enough for certain programs they needed for work and/or the lack of secondary or tertiary PC's in households with multiple people working from home. Also companies buying PC's for their work at home employees.

Since the pandemic has been slowing down and work at home has been slowly going out of fashion, things are going back to "normal". Plus those who got a new PC during the pandemic probably aren't going to get a new one anytime soon.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

"We have taken a more conservative outlook on the PC business," AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su said on an earnings call late Tuesday. "So a quarter ago, we would have thought that the PC business would be down, let's call it high-single digits [percentage]. And our current view of the PC business is that it will be down, let's call it mid-teens [percentage]."

Hardly "falling apart"

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

32 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Hardly "falling apart"

i really did not expect amd to bounced from a low of $75 per share to $100 per share in a matter a week. Its finacial is very strong. I owned 100 shares of amd which i constantly sell cover calls on. At this rate, i am pretty sure i will be getting assigned.

Intel is a mess. Its Q2 earnings are a disapoinment. One of its major declining segments is the data center in which it cites declining sales price and competitive pressure as the reason for the decline. This is just financial speak that AMD is taking their market share and they have been slashing margins/price on their server chips as result. 

PC sales are declining yes, but market leader usually takes the fall. This means intel in the cpu space and nvidia in the graphics card space. AMD can continue to grow its revenue even if the overall market is falling as long as they can take over enough market share to compensate for the drop in the overall market. If console sales are down, that is another different story. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

High end PC and server sales are still being hampered by supply chain issues. Tablet PCs are in short supply, if not impossible to get for some of my clients.

The generic PC market though is in a glut. Ive never seen them cheaper. Typically a sub $600 PC came with compromises. Now they are are potent business machines with excellent ROI.

23 hours ago, Sauron said:

Hardly "falling apart"

Reality: "Starting to normalize" after unheard of YoY increases, due to a pandemic.

Media: tHe iNdUsTrY iS cOlApSiNg

Reminds me of the countless number of businesses that always project YoY increases, regardless of circumstance and other influential factors.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

9 hours ago, WildDagwood said:

Reality: "Starting to normalize" after unheard of YoY increases, due to a pandemic.

Media: tHe iNdUsTrY iS cOlApSiNg

Reminds me of the countless number of businesses that always project YoY increases, regardless of circumstance and other influential factors.

depends on your point of view. stock market is normalizing, by going into a bear market. crytos are also normalizing by crashing to more than half its peak price. pc is normalizing, by at least declined sales instead of growth like the past year over year

The only thing left I am waiting and hoping to normalize is the housing market 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

9 hours ago, wasab said:

depends on your point of view. stock market is normalizing, by going into a bear market. crytos are also normalizing by crashing to more than half its peak price. pc is normalizing, by at least declined sales instead of growth like the past year over year

The only thing left I am waiting and hoping to normalize is the housing market 

You and me both. Not to derail, but housing/cost of living is a joke right now.

I pessimistically think we'll struggle to get back to proper state of supply and demand, and will be in a situation of where to demand is just basically constructed. Maybe a crude example on some levels (using cause it's recent), but Nvidia delaying the 4000 launch due to crypto crash and overstock of existing 3000 is, while understandable from a business perspective, market manipulation, no matter how you look at it.

On the housing front you have corporations and people with already a decent amount of assets just trying to take away availability from others and monetizing for themselves, until the point where you literally can't buy something anymore, you have to rent.

Gonna stop there though, cause this will derail quick otherwise.

Parasoshill

adjective

• A person whose parasocial relationship with a social media influencer or content creator has driven them to promote or blindly defend them, acting as a shill for their benefit.

On 8/4/2022 at 4:49 PM, Edward78 said:

Wouldn't that be a good thing however for PC gamers and professionals? 

The reasoning being that with little interest in the market by the majority, those who are interested would find themselves in a low demand and high supply of components, leading to better prices for the users?

That's what happens when you try to please miners and scalpers and not a reliable customer base.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 hours ago, Vishera said:

That's what happens when you try to please miners and scalpers and not a reliable customer base.

"hurr durr gamers should come first!!1!" 🙄

Are you aware that scalpers became a thing because other people wanted to buy parts? And that the PC market also takes into account OEMs and not only DIY buyers?

And miners did only a minor effect on the sales of GPUs, not CPUs or other components, which are still included inside those falling sales and are even more relevant.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
Lenovo N23 Yoga

On 8/6/2022 at 5:34 AM, Rym said:

Wouldn't that be a good thing however for PC gamers and professionals? 

The reasoning being that with little interest in the market by the majority, those who are interested would find themselves in a low demand and high supply of components, leading to better prices for the users?

Now I'm wondering if this a good time for me to buy a GPU?

20 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Now I'm wondering if this a good time for me to buy a GPU?

Yes, very good. A 6900xt can be brought for just around 800ish usd

Sudo make me a sandwich 

6 hours ago, wasab said:

Yes, very good. A 6900xt can be brought for just around 800ish usd

I'm not paying ~$800 for dGPU, what is wrong with you? Especially for a used one. Midrange only. I only paid $250 for my GTX 970 w/ 4GB in Dec 2015.

32 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm not paying ~$800 for dGPU, what is wrong with you? Especially for a used one. Midrange only. I only paid $250 for my GTX 970 w/ 4GB in Dec 2015.

They never said used, you can find it for less than $800 NEW on newegg:

image.thumb.png.8c6b47a2a6cd478e5f27d6065439907d.png

Also, $800 may be expensive/unjustifiable for you, but it's not for others, how could they have known that you only buy midrange products?

Lenovo N23 Yoga

53 minutes ago, igormp said:

They never said used, you can find it for less than $800 NEW on newegg:

image.thumb.png.8c6b47a2a6cd478e5f27d6065439907d.png

Also, $800 may be expensive/unjustifiable for you, but it's not for others, how could they have known that you only buy midrange products?

Because only a few Hardcore Gamers are willing to shell out good hard earned money in the first place. The last dGPU cost me $250.

26 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Because only a few Hardcore Gamers are willing to shell out good hard earned money in the first place. The last dGPU cost me $250.

Well, those are indeed expensive products, but keep in mind that the average user of this forum is usually an enthusiast with money and will to shell out on such stuff.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

okay, but with 7 years of inflation, your $250 in 2015 is more like $320ish today

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, igormp said:

Well, those are indeed expensive products, but keep in mind that the average user of this forum is usually an enthusiast with money and will to shell out on such stuff.

Good grief just much money the average here make per month?  

9 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Good grief just much money the average here make per month?  

I don't think there's any kind of thread like that in here, but I'd bet many do earn over $100k/year.

Lenovo N23 Yoga

I think you're underestimating how profoundly the crypto mining craze and COVID affected the video card market over the last seven years. $250 barely gets you a used entry-level card now, and it's not uncommon to see last year's cards just now dropping to a little over launch MSRP.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

18 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

I think you're underestimating how profoundly the crypto mining craze and COVID affected the video card market over the last seven years. $250 barely gets you a used entry-level card now, and it's not uncommon to see last year's cards just now dropping to a little over launch MSRP.

I'll wait. BTW the Nvidia GTX 970 wasn't exactly a Midrange dGPU, it is fairly just under a 980. Both are high end dGPUs at the time.