Predictions for next generation hardware is running really HOT... so which off the shelf case is best for a single passive custom water loop cooling?

TimLongson

All predictions for the next generation of CPU & GPU is that they run really HOT, even more so with overclocking. So my question is: which off the shelf PC case, without needing custom modding to its structure, is best for extreme passive water cooling (fans barely needing to turn) with a custom water loop? So that it is amazing cooling with quiet big fans (something like four 420mm radiators at the same time).

I heard that it could be the Cool Master HAF 700 EVO; if that is the case could you please review it for maximum passive cooling usage? I asked Cool master support if you could fit four 420mm radiators in at the same time, as I would want to do a maximum possible cooling with a single custom water cooling loop for top end GPU, CPU & M.2 drives (& possibly even DDR5 RAM cooling) with max overclocking using a 1650W PSU. Their answer was... suggestive of "yes" but very non-committal. Obviously, because this case is so big & costly its probably more for enthusiasts at the moment, although if the heat output of the next gen top end hardware are as high as rumoured then CONSIDERABLY more extreme cooling will be needed to stop thermal throttling.

As most channels focus on budget to mid tier builds, & seem to annoyingly never do "no budget limit" builds, I have yet to see a review for this case, let alone a "this is the best available off the shelf case for extreme passive water cooling". Thanks.

2 hours ago, TimLongson said:

All predictions for the next generation of CPU & GPU is that they run really HOT, even more so with overclocking. So my question is: which off the shelf PC case, without needing custom modding to its structure, is best for extreme passive water cooling (fans barely needing to turn) with a custom water loop? So that it is amazing cooling with quiet big fans (something like four 420mm radiators at the same time).

I heard that it could be the Cool Master HAF 700 EVO; if that is the case could you please review it for maximum passive cooling usage? I asked Cool master support if you could fit four 420mm radiators in at the same time, as I would want to do a maximum possible cooling with a single custom water cooling loop for top end GPU, CPU & M.2 drives (& possibly even DDR5 RAM cooling) with max overclocking using a 1650W PSU. Their answer was... suggestive of "yes" but very non-committal. Obviously, because this case is so big & costly its probably more for enthusiasts at the moment, although if the heat output of the next gen top end hardware are as high as rumoured then CONSIDERABLY more extreme cooling will be needed to stop thermal throttling.

As most channels focus on budget to mid tier builds, & seem to annoyingly never do "no budget limit" builds, I have yet to see a review for this case, let alone a "this is the best available off the shelf case for extreme passive water cooling". Thanks.

Passive? No pump? No fans? 

22 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Passive? No pump? No fans? 

A "normal" custom water loop (radiators, fans, pump, etc) but with the maximum radiator surface area possible (in an off the shelf case) to give maximum FREE passive cooling, and when extra cooling is needed, only requiring fans to run a low RPM for low energy and near enough silent operation - hence the suggestion of a four 420mm radiator (at the same time, within this off the shelf case without needing modding, so people at home who are willing to spend the money can copy it) solution query. 

Linus had a quick look at the Cool Master HAF 700 EVO case, but he ONLY looked at fans, which was obviously a bit of a joke in a case like this which is obviously designed for HUGE custom water cooling. I have done quite a lot of online searching, and so far as a I know, no other off the shelf case can fit that much passive cooling in with a water loop; remember that 120mm fan based radiators have a smaller surface area for cooling, especially passive cooling, and 140mm fans can move the same amount of air as 120mm fans by turning far more slowly & using less energy whilst making less noise. 

1 hour ago, TimLongson said:

A "normal" custom water loop (radiators, fans, pump, etc) but with the maximum radiator surface area possible (in an off the shelf case) to give maximum FREE passive cooling, and when extra cooling is needed, only requiring fans to run a low RPM for low energy and near enough silent operation - hence the suggestion of a four 420mm radiator (at the same time, within this off the shelf case without needing modding, so people at home who are willing to spend the money can copy it) solution query. 

Linus had a quick look at the Cool Master HAF 700 EVO case, but he ONLY looked at fans, which was obviously a bit of a joke in a case like this which is obviously designed for HUGE custom water cooling. I have done quite a lot of online searching, and so far as a I know, no other off the shelf case can fit that much passive cooling in with a water loop; remember that 120mm fan based radiators have a smaller surface area for cooling, especially passive cooling, and 140mm fans can move the same amount of air as 120mm fans by turning far more slowly & using less energy whilst making less noise. 

the case with the most rads that can be mounted as more rads = lower temps but you get diminishing returns  for your moeny thow

idealy the best case for rads is a case that can intake from the outside and exhaust out the out side with out dumping the heat at the pcbs 

like my case...

Thermaltake Core W200

Thermaltake Core P200

Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

RAIJINTEK ERIS EVO

CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 1000D

https://www.mountainmods.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=g7he9ovbuptevegojhqv1o7mm1

Thermaltake Tower 900

a server rack case would probably be the cheapest and can mount a ton of rads in it.

pc update 006 (2).jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

So not passive. Just quiet. 

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

So not passive. Just quiet. 

Quiet (with the potential for the fans to not need to run at all for certain tasks), BUT just as importantly also having the potential to cool the insane heat coming out of the next generation of hardware, coming in the next few months, at stable high overclocks, to as close to ambient temperature as possible. Hence the question "which off the shelf case is best" for this extreme water cooling, along with asking about that case (Cool Master HAF 700 EVO) which was recommended because it can fit four 420mm radiators at once, whilst also looking pretty awesome.

7 hours ago, TimLongson said:

Quiet (with the potential for the fans to not need to run at all for certain tasks), BUT just as importantly also having the potential to cool the insane heat coming out of the next generation of hardware, coming in the next few months, at stable high overclocks, to as close to ambient temperature as possible. Hence the question "which off the shelf case is best" for this extreme water cooling, along with asking about that case (Cool Master HAF 700 EVO) which was recommended because it can fit four 420mm radiators at once, whilst also looking pretty awesome.

i dout it can do 4x 420 rads at once.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

On 8/2/2022 at 9:06 AM, thrasher_565 said:

i dout it can do 4x 420 rads at once.

The case manufacturer said it SHOULD be able to (see pic below of tech support chat) - one at top, one at front, one at bottom and one at side. I think you would want 30mm thick 420mm radiators, but I would LOVE Linus Tech Tips to check this out, and see just how much heat a setup like this could handle, and see if there are any other, CURRENTLY AVAILABLE to buy off the shelf PC cases, which could do better?

Cooler-Master.png

The case manufacturer said it SHOULD be able to (see pic below of tech support chat) - one at top, one at front, one at bottom and one at side. I think you would want 30mm thick 420mm radiators, but I would LOVE Linus Tech Tips to check this out, and see just how much heat a setup like this could handle, and see if there are any other, CURRENTLY AVAILABLE to buy off the shelf PC cases, which could do better?

Cooler-Master.png

ok maybe you can i think linus did a video in it? he is located in Canada but uses usd in his videos so any sites would be us/ Canada. no on knows what cases are advalb to your location. i linked some of the best case that i know of if there not avalbe that's not my problem

because linus is a big youtuber he has hookups and people just give him stuff even thow it might not be advale to us or Canada.

pluse custem water cooling is a nesh thing and cost a minumu of $1000 to get in to and alot of people cant aford that. but maybe we will see bigger case once the 40xxx gpus are out they run hot...

even thow 30xx gpus are also hot they still run on air just bairly and even the top 300w cpus i think are fine with 420mm aio i think

but thats imo

dont get me wrong i love big case too and i have probably the biggest one here...

On 7/31/2022 at 8:07 PM, TimLongson said:

Maybe a Linus Tech Tips video "Balls too the wall cooling - what is the maximum possible radiator surface area you can fit in the humongous Cool Master HAF 700 EVO case all at once without any mods? Four 420mm radiators? Three 420mm and two 360mm and one 240mm radiators? A 480mm, two 420mm, two 360mm and a 240mm? Or something else thinking outside the box? 

Just how much water cooling is "too much" even if you had a 1650W PSU, RTX4090, i9-13900KS, PCIe 5 M.2 drive and DDR5 RAM ALL being water cooled in a single loop & ALL overclocked to the max?

4 hours ago, TimLongson said:

Maybe a Linus Tech Tips video "Balls too the wall cooling - what is the maximum possible radiator surface area you can fit in the humongous Cool Master HAF 700 EVO case all at once without any mods? Four 420mm radiators? Three 420mm and two 360mm and one 240mm radiators? A 480mm, two 420mm, two 360mm and a 240mm? Or something else thinking outside the box? 

Just how much water cooling is "too much" even if you had a 1650W PSU, RTX4090, i9-13900KS, PCIe 5 M.2 drive and DDR5 RAM ALL being water cooled in a single loop & ALL overclocked to the max?

it probably be cheaper and more effect doing 2 loops then one i mean if were talking 4 rads and all wc its going to be an expensive build already... so an extra $150 pump not a big deal imo. dumping the heat from the gpu at the cpu is stupid imo

a wat per cpu/gpu is different per gen to gen witch makes it confusing on how much rad is needed i think it has something to do with diy size and how much of it contacts the his i think? well cpu diys are way bigger then say 1366 days witch you used 2x 360rads to cool a cpu and gpu.  the 8800k times need to delid that cpu to even cool it... ied that's seem to be the top of cooling in terms or rads needed

Edited by thrasher_565

53 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

it probably be cheaper and more effect doing 2 loops then one i mean if were talking 4 rads and all wc its going to be an expensive build already... so an extra $150 pump not a big deal imo. dumping the heat from the gpu at the cpu is stupid imo

a wat per cpu/gpu is different per gen to gen witch makes it confusing on how much rad is needed i think it has something to do with diy size and how much of it contacts the his i think? well cpu diys are way bigger then say 1366 days witch you used 2x 360rads to cool a cpu and gpu.  the 8800k times need to delid that cpu to even cool it... ied that's seem to be the top of cooling in terms or rads needed

The extra expense of an extra pump and reservoir is unnecessary, and would add extra unnecessary tubing & a lot more pump noise; there has been MANY videos (Jays2Cents, Gamers Nexus, etc) showing that its ONLY the overall water temperature, and not the order of the cooling blocks, which makes the difference. Besides, if you had say four 420mm radiators (30mm deep), you could run something like: 

Pump/reservoir > bottom 420mm > GPU > M.2 gen 5 heatsink > top 420mm > CPU > DDR5 RAM heatsink > side 420mm > front 420mm > back to pump/reservoir.

I ran that as a virtual build on the EK website and it said it could be run with water at 25 degrees C with almost no audible sound, with the highest end hardware available at maximum overclock - even when handling up to  something like 1800W of heat. A single D5 pump with a maximum flow: 1500L/h is more than powerful enough for this kind of setup, and even more radiators. 

10 minutes ago, TimLongson said:

The extra expense of an extra pump and reservoir is unnecessary, and would add extra unnecessary tubing; there has been MANY videos (Jays2Cents, Gamers Nexus, etc) showing that its ONLY the overall water temperature, and not the order of the cooling blocks, which makes the difference. Besides, if you had say four 420mm radiators (30mm deep), you could run something like: 

Pump/reservoir > bottom 420mm > GPU > M.2 gen 5 heatsink > top 420mm > CPU > DDR5 RAM heatsink > side 420mm > front 420mm > back to pump/reservoir.

I ran that as a virtual build on the EK website and it said it could be run with water at 25 degrees C with almost no audible sound, with the highest end hardware available at maximum overclock. 

loop order doesn't mater but what dose is taking a hot scores like the gpu out on its own loop. j2cserts have been duel looping for years and sli ing for years too.

and you dont need a reservoir.

extra tubing is a you problem.

Edited by thrasher_565

1 minute ago, thrasher_565 said:

loop order doesn't mater but what dose is taking a hot scores like the gpu out on its own loop. j2cserts have been duel looping for years and sli ing for years too.

and you dont need a reservoir.

I ran that as a virtual build on the EK website, as a single loop (containing fastest GPU, CPU, M.2 & RAM waterblocks) and it said it could be run with water at 25 degrees C with almost no audible sound, with the highest end hardware available at maximum overclock - even when handling up to  something like 1800W of heat. A single D5 pump with a maximum flow: 1500L/h is more than powerful enough for this kind of setup, and even more radiators. 

2 minutes ago, TimLongson said:

I ran that as a virtual build on the EK website, as a single loop (containing fastest GPU, CPU, M.2 & RAM waterblocks) and it said it could be run with water at 25 degrees C with almost no audible sound, with the highest end hardware available at maximum overclock - even when handling up to  something like 1800W of heat. A single D5 pump with a maximum flow: 1500L/h is more than powerful enough for this kind of setup, and even more radiators. 

i didn't say a d5 was not enough to do 4 rads pluse the wbs all i said was less heat in the loop the lower the temp.

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

i didn't say a d5 was not enough to do 4 rads pluse the wbs all i said was less heat in the loop the lower the temp.

More radiators in the loop also lower the temp, which is the entire point of this thread. Four 420mm 30mm thick radiators can keep water temps at 25 degrees C even when handling up to  something like 1800W of heat. From what I have heard about even the top RTX4090ti, top intel CPU, etc.. rumours, that 1800W of heat dissipation to near ambient temperatures, with virtually no noise, seems like a near perfect solution. But I would like Linus' to put it to the test, and to see if an even more imba setup could cool even better, in an off the shelf case. 

8 minutes ago, TimLongson said:

More radiators in the loop also lower the temp, which is the entire point of this thread. Four 420mm 30mm thick radiators can keep water temps at 25 degrees C even when handling up to  something like 1800W of heat. From what I have heard about even the top RTX4090ti, top intel CPU, etc.. rumours, that 1800W of heat dissipation to near ambient temperatures, with virtually no noise, seems like a near perfect solution. But I would like Linus' to put it to the test, and to see if an even more imba setup could cool even better, in an off the shelf case. 

hes did a build out of rads before using no fans. i think i may have been even a 8700k if i rember right...

i seen 6x 580mm rads in a build before

25c max oc on 4x420 rads seem bold but who knows

maybe one day ill do a test and hook all my rads up and see the difference

Edited by thrasher_565

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

hes did a build out of rads before using no fans. i think i may have been even a 8700k if i rember right...

i seen 6x 580mm rads in a build before

25c max oc on 4x420 rads seem bold but who knows

maybe one day ill do a test and hook all my rads up and see the difference

I think you just read the thread title and not the actual post - I am NOT suggesting that you don't install fans, far from it.

No, the bit about the "passive cooling" was only in regard to basically "what would be the MAXIMUM radiator surface area you could fit in a case, from any case which is available off the shelf without doing complex mods." 

Fans only kick in when the passive cooling is not sufficient to cool enough alone, so if you have enough radiators, then a lot of PC tasks should require little to no fan spinning (absolute silence). The true AWESOMENESS is that this system could then also spin up to deal with INSANE amounts of heat, without much effort. Hence the question "how much water cooling is just too much water cooling?"

3 minutes ago, TimLongson said:

I think you just read the thread title and not the actual post - I am NOT suggesting that you don't install fans, far from it.

No, the bit about the "passive cooling" was only in regard to basically "what would be the MAXIMUM radiator surface area you could fit in a case, from any case which is available off the shelf without doing complex mods." 

Fans only kick in when the passive cooling is not sufficient to cool enough alone, so if you have enough radiators, then a lot of PC tasks should require little to no fan spinning (absolute silence). The true AWESOMENESS is that this system could then also spin up to deal with INSANE amounts of heat, without much effort. Hence the question "how much water cooling is just too much water cooling?"

you seem to be a linus fan but have no idea what im talking about...

i no what your asking and i dont have an answer to it.

"MAXIMUM radiator surface area you could fit in a case off the shelf without doing complex mods"

my answer is thermatlake core w200 with an option to add pedestals for infinity amount of rads...

you then said that's available to you and i said i dont no nether dose linus...

i linked some of the big est case that i can think of...

22 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

you seem to be a linus fan but have no idea what im talking about...

i no what your asking and i dont have an answer to it.

"MAXIMUM radiator surface area you could fit in a case off the shelf without doing complex mods"

my answer is thermatlake core w200 with an option to add pedestals for infinity amount of rads...

you then said that's available to you and i said i dont no nether dose linus...

i linked some of the big est case that i can think of...

Agreed, the Cool Master HAF 700 EVO seems to be the most likely contender!  🙂 Although the video Linus did on that case was... just a joke. Its OBVIOUSLY a case for water cooling, & all he did in the video was put just 13 120mm fans.... even if you just did the modest four 420mm radiators, that would be twelve 140mm fans & two 120mm fans & two 200mm fans on a water loop. You could go FAR higher, for example, you can fit two 360mm radiators in the top alone! 

Would be great to see it put to a serious test for this single loop water cooling "to the max" question. 

3 minutes ago, TimLongson said:

Agreed, the Cool Master HAF 700 EVO seems to be the most likely contender!  🙂 

Would be great to see it put to the test for this single loop water cooling "to the max" question. 

ya maybe that will have to be you. time will tell i guess if others do it. i dont see many builds go past 2 rads maybe 3 max. the shift from max proforance to some porforamce and looks is the meta

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya maybe that will have to be you. time will tell i guess if others do it. i dont see many builds go past 2 rads maybe 3 max. the shift from max proforance to some porforamce and looks is the meta

Indeed, and the Cool Master HAF 700 EVO is both looks AND performance, from what I can tell/see.