Help! Memory doesn't work in DIMM slots 3 and 4

Go to solution Solved by Somerandomtechyboi,

Take off the socket retention and dunk/spray some 99% IPA, same for the underside of the cpu and same for the dimm slots themselves, cover socket and ram slots with something (paper, tissue, etc. will work) so they dont get dirtied while its drying

I suspect its the common filth problem where some dust just gets somewhere and makes sht malfunction, i mean ive revived multiple boards (multiple times even) just spraying the socket with 99% IPA

Memory: G.Skill F4-3200C16D-8GVKB, DDR4 3200MHz 4GB, (CL 16-18-18-38 1.35V)

• Attempted 4x4gb. currently in 2x4
  • All 4 are the same model. However, one was bought after the other (different manufacturing batch)
  • All confirmed to work (ie. all 4 sticks work in DIMM slots 1 and 2, but none work in DIMM slots 3 and 4)
  • Not in XMP profile (at 2133MHz

MB: Gigabyte B450m ds3h wifi

• latest Bios
  • Memory not officially supported in support list
  • CPU is supported
  • Cleaned DIMM slots
  • Tried to reset CMOS

CPU: Athlon 3000g, 2 Memory Channels, 2667MHz System Memory Specification

• Not overclocked
  • No pins are bent

I have tried most "solutions." (Thanks to everyone in the past who has tried though.)

I only tried installing more RAM a few months after buying the motherboard. When turning on the PC with either DIMM 3 and/or 4 populated, the fans turn on but the system doesn't boot. They just ramp up all the way and don't ramp down like they would if the system was actually booting.

Even if there is nothing I can do to actually solve it, I would like to know what component is causing the issue. Atm I cannot tell. I doubt it's the RAM but perhaps it is. Most likely it's the MB, but how do I not know it's the CPU?

Does anyone know of a way I can diagnose the issue (ie. find what component is causing the issue?)

BIOS: F64b

Thanks all

mb_memory_b450m-ds3h-wifi_picasso.pdf

7 minutes ago, Mr.Breakfast said:

Memory: G.Skill F4-3200C16D-8GVKB, DDR4 3200MHz 4GB, (CL 16-18-18-38 1.35V)

• Attempted 4x4gb. currently in 2x4
  • All 4 are the same model. However, one was bought after the other (different manufacturing batch)
  • All confirmed to work (ie. all 4 sticks work in DIMM slots 1 and 2, but none work in DIMM slots 3 and 4)
  • Not in XMP profile (at 2133MHz

MB: Gigabyte B450m ds3h wifi

• latest Bios
  • Memory not officially supported in support list
  • CPU is supported
  • Cleaned DIMM slots
  • Tried to reset CMOS

CPU: Athlon 3000g, 2 Memory Channels, 2667MHz System Memory Specification

• Not overclocked
  • No pins are bent

I have tried most "solutions." (Thanks to everyone in the past who has tried though.)

I only tried installing more RAM a few months after buying the motherboard. When turning on the PC with either DIMM 3 and/or 4 populated, the fans turn on but the system doesn't boot. They just ramp up all the way and don't ramp down like they would if the system was actually booting.

Even if there is nothing I can do to actually solve it, I would like to know what component is causing the issue. Atm I cannot tell. I doubt it's the RAM but perhaps it is. Most likely it's the MB, but how do I not know it's the CPU?

Does anyone know of a way I can diagnose the issue (ie. find what component is causing the issue?)

BIOS: F64b

Thanks all

mb_memory_b450m-ds3h-wifi_picasso.pdf 202.61 kB · 0 downloads

Does the BIOS detect the ram sticks as inserted. Or only not Linux?

6 minutes ago, AxS said:

Does the BIOS detect the ram sticks as inserted. Or only not Linux?

I cannot even get the bios to boot when RAM is inserted in 3 and 4, so I can't really answer your question. (I doubt it's a linux problem)

You've got a dead memory channel. Either the CPU has a dead channel in the memory controller or your motherboard has a bad connection between those slots and the CPU. Unfortunately without another CPU or motherboard to try I don't know a way to figure out which one is the problem unless there's obvious physical damage. I would wager the problem is with the motherboard, because CPUs tend to be more reliable than motherboards, but that's just a guess.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

5 minutes ago, Mr.Breakfast said:

I cannot even get the bios to boot when RAM is inserted in 3 and 4, so I can't really answer your question. (I doubt it's a linux problem)

Sounds like the motherboard is pretty messed up. As of it rarely happens it absolutely won't even boot with a defect memory stick.

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

You've got a dead memory channel. Either the CPU has a dead channel in the memory controller or your motherboard has a bad connection between those slots and the CPU. Unfortunately without another CPU or motherboard to try I don't know a way to figure out which one is the problem unless there's obvious physical damage. I would wager the problem is with the motherboard, because CPUs tend to be more reliable than motherboards, but that's just a guess.

I agree here. It's a dead/defect memory channel. So the motherboards memory controller is broken or the memory controller on the CPU. Only situation I know it can take a while to boot up and seem like something is wrong is when the CPU does a process called memory training (when it detects a memory change 

1 minute ago, AxS said:

I agree here. It's a dead/defect memory channel. So the motherboards memory controller is broken or the memory controller on the CPU. Only situation I know it can take a while to boot up and seem like something is wrong is when the CPU does a process called memory training (when it detects a memory change 

By "a while" do you mean many minutes? The only thing I haven't tried is letting it go past several minutes.

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Assuming it's the motherboard, do you think i was particularly unlucky or that Gigabyte is known to be unreliable?

Take off the socket retention and dunk/spray some 99% IPA, same for the underside of the cpu and same for the dimm slots themselves, cover socket and ram slots with something (paper, tissue, etc. will work) so they dont get dirtied while its drying

I suspect its the common filth problem where some dust just gets somewhere and makes sht malfunction, i mean ive revived multiple boards (multiple times even) just spraying the socket with 99% IPA

18 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I currently don't have 99% IPA, but when I get some I will try that. Thanks

Edit: I assume rubbing alcohol wont work in the same way because the alcohol is diluted?

On 7/31/2022 at 10:24 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

so uhm, I cleaned the DIMM slots, cpu slot thing, and the pins with 91% IPA, and now my PC doesnt turn on... help?

On 7/31/2022 at 10:24 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

It is not a filth problem. The RAM slots still don't work. Either I'll have to buy new so I can use the ram, keep it, or RMA it. Thanks though. I'll mark this as the answer.

4 hours ago, Mr.Breakfast said:

so uhm, I cleaned the DIMM slots, cpu slot thing, and the pins with 91% IPA, and now my PC doesnt turn on... help?

Let it dry, 91% works for cleaning but takes alot longer to dry

1 hour ago, Mr.Breakfast said:

It is not a filth problem. The RAM slots still don't work. Either I'll have to buy new so I can use the ram, keep it, or RMA it. Thanks though. I'll mark this as the answer.

Yea just rma it at this point, though howd you go about using the ipa? Just dunking it on the socket and ram slots?

Well good to know that dead slots may not just be a filth issue, welp thanks for also saving my money cause im pretty sure i would have bought atleast 1 dead board with dead slots only to be dissapointed that spraying it with ipa doesnt fix it and needing to sell a crippled pos board