Dsl bandwidth distribution

DilligentIncubus

So all I can get where I live is dsl and starlink. my wife is a streamer and while starlink has great speeds on speedtests when we switch satellites there's a drop in speed and makes the stream quality take a nosedive. Is it possible to get an all upload DSL line? The max they can do is 12Mbps. if I could get at least 9 up/and whatever else down. is that possible?

19 minutes ago, DilligentIncubus said:

So all I can get where I live is dsl and starlink. my wife is a streamer and while starlink has great speeds on speedtests when we switch satellites there's a drop in speed and makes the stream quality take a nosedive. Is it possible to get an all upload DSL line? The max they can do is 12Mbps. if I could get at least 9 up/and whatever else down. is that possible?

Nope. Judging by those speeds its probably ADSL2. Your never going to see 9 Mbps up. The other thing is DSL is distance limited, so the further from the Phone Co or Remote box the crappier the service will get. The lower upload speed is just the way the DSL standard was made. Same thing with Docsis which is used by the cable co, they have limited upload as well. You might be able to get better upload with LTE/5G internet, but that can be hit or miss. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Nope. Judging by those speeds its probably ADSL2. Your never going to see 9 Mbps up. The other thing is DSL is distance limited, so the further from the Phone Co or Remote box the crappier the service will get. The lower upload speed is just the way the DSL standard was made. Same thing with Docsis which is used by the cable co, they have limited upload as well. You might be able to get better upload with LTE/5G internet, but that can be hit or miss.

so they can't give me most of the available bandwidth as upload speed. that's a bummer.

7 hours ago, DilligentIncubus said:

so they can't give me most of the available bandwidth as upload speed. that's a bummer.

In theory there are different DSL modes that distribute the upload/download differently, but in practice they will stick to specific modes where download is prioritised as that's what most people want.

The problem is you can't just swap which part of the audio/radio spectrum is used for upload/download as you want consistency between neighbouring lines to minimise crosstalk.  Same reason even if you wanted  a data only line, they wont use the voice tones as that could cause hiss on other peoples lines.  There's a lot of consideration for how the lines impact each other in how they limit the signal strength, otherwise people with longer lines would get no service at all due to people on shorter lines overpowering them.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7