Headphones with mic, but only one plug??

paddytokey

Hey guys,

I have just purchased a pair of headphones with a built in mic, to be exact it's this one: http://www.usa.philips.com/c/headphones/sho7205bk_28/prd/en/

They are supposed to work with phones as a headset, so you can use the mic to make phonecalls. So far, I could not get it working with my phone although the demo unit in the store worked just fine, but that's not the issue of this thread. My question is, can I use the mic on my pc, for instance to make a phone call with skype? It has only one plug, and I don't really know where to plug it in... have played around a little bit but didn't get it working. I am using an the onboard sound of an Asrock z68 Extreme3 Gen 3, running windows 7 64bit.

Hope anyone can make me smarter :)

look more closely at the plug. the phone call plugs have 3 rings

pc's use the 2 ring plugs.

you can use a 3 ring in a 2 ring and vice versa I think but you will lose the mic and music skipping capabilities when putting a 3 ring into a 2 ring socket.

tldr 3 ring can only do sound out of your computer and not sound into it.

look more closely at the plug. the phone call plugs have 3 rings

pc's use the 2 ring plugs.

you can use a 3 ring in a 2 ring and vice versa I think but you will lose the mic and music skipping capabilities when putting a 3 ring into a 2 ring socket.

tldr 3 ring can only do sound out of your computer and not sound into it.

there might be a connector out there that splits the 3 ring into a pair of 2 rings for your computer... but I might be wrong

oh yeah. some phones are restricted to certain classes of mic/earphone combinations. I don't recall the types though.

Thank you guys, I guess I'll try the splitter. Have just read there are different types of these plugs as well, with different orders of the left/right, ground, and mic connectors. I'll ffind out if it works...^^