Ethernet speed is 10 MBPS although it should be 100 MBPS

broke_block

Let me start of by saying this. My router can output a 100 MPBS connection, although when I plug in my ethernet and try to download items off of steam the download speed is 1 MBPS. I have tried the same cable on another computer and it gets a 100 MBPS connection. I have updated the drivers and also tried changing the duplex to 100 MBPS full speed but the ethernet still showed up as 10 MBPS. I've heard of other people having this issue and tried their methods but none of them have worked so far. Any suggestions?

Screenshot 2022-07-28 110317.png

Gentle correction, you're confusing MBps and Mbps. MB is Megabyte, which is 8 times more data than Mb, a Megabit.

So as far as I gather from your story, you're seeing about 1 Megabyte per second because your links speed is only 10 Megabit, am I correct?

If both devices support 100 Mbps and you're only getting 10, I'd suspect a faulty cable first. Do you have another cable to try with?

1 minute ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

Gentle correction, you're confusing MBps and Mbps. MB is MegaByte, which is 8 times more data than a Megabit.

So as far as I gather from your story, you're seeing about 1 Megabyte per second because your links speed is only 10 Megabit, am I correct?

If both devices support 100 Mbps and you're only getting 10, I'd suspect a faulty cable first. Do you have another cable to try with?

Yep everything that you said is correct. I have tried multiple cables and its the same. I've also tried the current cable on another computer and it had a connection of 100 Megabit

1 minute ago, broke_block said:

Yep everything that you said is correct. I have tried multiple cables and its the same. I've also tried the current cable on another computer and it had a connection of 100 Megabit

Check the pins on the network card. Are they mangled?

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

Check the pins on the network card. Are they mangled?

I dont have one, I have an Asus x570-p motherboard which I assume has one built into it.

What router make/model do you have? It should be connecting at least 1Gb, unless your router is ancient and only has 100Mb ports... But even then struggling to see why it's only connected at 10Mb unless it's a damaged cable, or you've had some NIC settings changed.

Is your PC connected directly to the router via ethernet cable? Are you using any strange ethernet extenders, or powerline plugs etc?

I'd also recommend a Windows network reset, it should clear any strangely configured settings you might have on the NIC... Quick guide here https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-reset-all-your-windows-10-network-adapters-just-6-clicks/

Does your router give you the option to manually set the link speed on its LAN ports?

Do you have an ancient network hub somewhere in between?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Does your router give you the option to manually set the link speed on its LAN ports?

Do you have an ancient network hub somewhere in between?

Our house does use repeaters and such but all cables are up to date. Also I strongly believe it’s a software issue because when I plug the same cable into another PC it works just fine. I’m trying to reset the network settings right now to see if that works. 

49 minutes ago, Sparx said:

What router make/model do you have? It should be connecting at least 1Gb, unless your router is ancient and only has 100Mb ports... But even then struggling to see why it's only connected at 10Mb unless it's a damaged cable, or you've had some NIC settings changed.

Is your PC connected directly to the router via ethernet cable? Are you using any strange ethernet extenders, or powerline plugs etc?

I'd also recommend a Windows network reset, it should clear any strangely configured settings you might have on the NIC... Quick guide here https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-reset-all-your-windows-10-network-adapters-just-6-clicks/

Our router is connected to the basement which provides ethernet to all of the rooms as far as I know. I also just tried to reset the network but it didnt help. The duplex was set to auto negotiation but it was still 10 MB. I also tried putting the duplex on 100 MB but it didnt change anything.

When you say you updated the drivers was that directly from Intel or directly from the motherboard website?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

59 minutes ago, Lurick said:

When you say you updated the drivers was that directly from Intel or directly from the motherboard website?

I checked the drivers from the windows automatic driver search.

1 minute ago, broke_block said:

I checked the drivers from the windows automatic driver search.

Ah, go to the Asus website and download the LAN drivers from them directly for your board.

Windows driver search is far less than ideal in this case as it usually only installs generic ones which can cause plenty of issues just like this.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, broke_block said:

I dont have one, I have an Asus x570-p motherboard which I assume has one built into it.

Well you still have a port with a mechanical connection. Pull the cable and check the pins.

Also a quick and easy way to check if it is a software issue is to boot to linux from a usb.

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Also a quick and easy way to check if it is a software issue is to boot to linux from a usb.

Agreed, try a different OS on the machine.

6 hours ago, broke_block said:

Our house does use repeaters and such but all cables are up to date.

Why are your ethernet connections negotiating at 100Mbps at best? Any “up-to-date” cables should be Cat5E or better, which are capable of +1Gbps at least.

Even if you installed new Cat5 (non-E), it may be have been manufactured many years ago to the point that it’s now showing its age.

If you connect your PC directly to the router with a new Cat5E or better cable, thereby bypassing the ethernet runs in the wall, what speed does the NIC negotiate at?

6 hours ago, broke_block said:

Our router is connected to the basement which provides ethernet to all of the rooms as far as I know.

Speaking about the router, what is its make and model? Are there any exposed cables at the point of connection to the router? Any sharp bends in the cables at any point in the runs?