What Camera for a Norway-Trip?

Go to solution Solved by Commodus,
17 hours ago, Betulap said:

Hello, 

I will be  going on a trip to Norway soon, where I'll visit many fjords. My budget is around 300-500€, what can you recommend for me. I also intend to use it for other trips in the future. I'm still a newbie , but maybe having the option to change lenses sounds, like it would be great

Hope you can help and thanks already. 

You'll probably have to buy a used or open-box camera if you want something good in that price range.

With that said, there's also a challenge: if you want to take good photos of those fjords, you're going to want a telephoto or multi-role lens (i.e. one that can handle both up-close and long distance shots). They're not always expensive, but they will add to the price of your camera.

I prefer Sony mirrorless cameras, but you can also find solid Canon and Fujifilm mirrorless cameras. Just be sure to see what your lens options are (if the ones you want aren't included), since you're buying into an entire lens ecosystem when you choose a camera body.

Also, there's always the option of rolling money into a phone with a good optical zoom lens, like the Galaxy S22 series or iPhone 12/13 Pro. I recently visited the Rockies (the huge mountain range in the US and Canada), and while I did take some photos with my Sony cam + 55-210mm lens, many of my photos were taken using the 3X zoom lens on my iPhone 13 Pro. The quality won't be quite as good (there's only so much detail a phone-sized sensor can resolve), but it's often more than good enough for posting online.

Hello, 

I will be  going on a trip to Norway soon, where I'll visit many fjords. My budget is around 300-500€, what can you recommend for me. I also intend to use it for other trips in the future. I'm still a newbie , but maybe having the option to change lenses sounds, like it would be great

4 hours ago, Betulap said:

Hello, 

What will the weather be like when you go? 

11 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

What will the weather be like when you go? 

Hopefully sunny

31 minutes ago, Betulap said:

Hopefully sunny

Probably don’t need weather sealing then, I would hunt around used and see what’s available where you are. 

17 hours ago, Betulap said:

Hello, 

You'll probably have to buy a used or open-box camera if you want something good in that price range.

With that said, there's also a challenge: if you want to take good photos of those fjords, you're going to want a telephoto or multi-role lens (i.e. one that can handle both up-close and long distance shots). They're not always expensive, but they will add to the price of your camera.

I prefer Sony mirrorless cameras, but you can also find solid Canon and Fujifilm mirrorless cameras. Just be sure to see what your lens options are (if the ones you want aren't included), since you're buying into an entire lens ecosystem when you choose a camera body.

Also, there's always the option of rolling money into a phone with a good optical zoom lens, like the Galaxy S22 series or iPhone 12/13 Pro. I recently visited the Rockies (the huge mountain range in the US and Canada), and while I did take some photos with my Sony cam + 55-210mm lens, many of my photos were taken using the 3X zoom lens on my iPhone 13 Pro. The quality won't be quite as good (there's only so much detail a phone-sized sensor can resolve), but it's often more than good enough for posting online.