Ways to lower ftth ping

Hottub
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
19 hours ago, Hottub said:

Hello and thank you for your answer

I know its something i should not be bothered with but i have friends with the same isp and subscription like mine and they even get low as 0ms and 1ms and that got me thinking 🤔

I have also noticed the ping decreases by 1-1.5ms when the connection is used at full 😳

I'd be inclined to suspect your friend is getting rogue results.  If its a normal FTTP shared connection, its pretty much impossible to get ping below around what you are getting, as you are on a shared medium and given specific time slots when you are allowed to transmit on the fibre.

You can only get 0-1ms with dedicated fibre, not shared fibre that is usually used for FTTP/H.

Greetings everyone, 

I have recently got a ftth connection and i was wondering if there any ways i could lower the ping between me and the isp (second hop on traceroute) 

Im currently getting 4ms when pinging isp where with my dsl connection i was getting 5ms. I was expecting lower ping times to be honest. 

Is there something i could ask the isp to remove/disable along the fiber optic line to lower the ping? 

For example previously on dsl i had to request the error correction to be disabled so the line changed to fast path which that gave me the low 5ms ping. 

Thank you for your time! 

I know its something i should not be bothered with but i have friends with the same isp and subscription like mine and they even get low as 0ms and 1ms and that got me thinking 🤔

I have also noticed the ping decreases by 1-1.5ms when the connection is used at full 😳

1 hour ago, Hottub said:

i have friends with the same isp and subscription like mine and they even get low as 0ms and 1ms and that got me thinking 🤔

The difference between 1 ms and 4 ms ping is imperceptible. Don't lose sleep over it.

Besides, you're not pinging anything outside your house at 0ms. Data can only travel as fast as the speed of light. If you want to see 0ms pings, ping your router or 127.0.0.1.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

12 hours ago, Hottub said:

get low as 0ms and 1ms and that got me thinking 🤔

My Ping is 30ms most times. So 5 is good. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

19 hours ago, Hottub said:

I'd be inclined to suspect your friend is getting rogue results.  If its a normal FTTP shared connection, its pretty much impossible to get ping below around what you are getting, as you are on a shared medium and given specific time slots when you are allowed to transmit on the fibre.

You can only get 0-1ms with dedicated fibre, not shared fibre that is usually used for FTTP/H.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thanks everyone for your time and replies

I suspect their location should/must be closer to the isp than mine. 

Regarding in a more network technical part is there something i could ask the isp to disable or remove to benefit low latency even more concerning the fiber technology? 

No there isn't. 4ms is really incredibly low anyway, seriously, be happy with it... lol

Yeah i guess it is

Thanks again everyone!