SOLVED: GPU under load turns off Wi-Fi adapter

KarmaKelevra
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

Seems you think this is a possible power draw problem.  You’ve got a lot of PSU though, so if it is a power problem it could be the motherboard.  The whole thing seems a bit unlikely though.  Maybe check the contacts on the card and slot

SOLVED: The faulty Wi-Fi card was causing the issue. Got new card and had no issues.

Hello there,

I have just built a new pc and run into a very weird issue. I have Wi-Fi/Bluetooth extension card in PCIEx1 slot. Anytime GPU goes under load gaming/stress test (Total War: Warhammer/AMD Adrenalin) my PC loses Wi-Fi connection and can't find any networks, Bluetooth is working as usual. The issue still persists after closing the game/stress test and only restarting PC restores the connection (sometimes with extra restarts, windows troubleshooting), other devices connected to the same network have no issues.

Things I've tried so far:

1. Re-installing latest Wi-Fi drivers - 22.150.0 for Intel Wireless adapter
  2. Installing Wi-Fi card into the PCIEx1 slot above (closer to GPU) - that made it worse,  couldn't find any network even after restarting.
  3. Updating BIOS to the latest version - 2803
  4. Updating GPU drivers - 22.6.1
  5. Disabling Bluetooth on extension card
  6. Disabling "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"
  7. Disabling "Ultra High Band (6GHz)"
  8. Lowering transmitting power from Highest to Medium-High
  9. Setting Channel Width for 2.4GHz - from auto - to 20MHz
  10. Setting Channel Width for 5GHz - from auto - to 20MHz
  11. Setting Channel Width for 6GHz - from auto - to 20MHzo
  12. Changing HDMI/DP cables
  13. Disabling "Radeon Chill"

System:

I am really at a loss here and would greatly appreciate any help and recommendations. Please let me know if there is any additional info will be helpful.

Edited by KarmaKelevra
Solution added

Seems you think this is a possible power draw problem.  You’ve got a lot of PSU though, so if it is a power problem it could be the motherboard.  The whole thing seems a bit unlikely though.  Maybe check the contacts on the card and slot

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

All of your PCI-E 1x slots are managed by the Chipset, can you try to update the BIOS, be very careful when updating the BIOS to read all BIOS update changelogs as some BIOS require certain versions of the Chipset drivers or first update to some BIOS ver before first then to that one and of course don't lose power in your house or brick the MOBO.

Can you check Event Viewer on your PC if any usual error regarding the slot itself or the card?

This either smells like Chipset issue on MOBO or Windows being crap itself with drivers or managing the card.