Too many IR remotes and devices in cabinet: what's the LTT solution?

pauloforte

Hi everyone,

The title says all but a bit of context:

My living room is redecorated and we got all the devices (set-top box, NVidia shield, home-cinema receiver) in a closed cabinet under the TV.

This means I can't use the IR remotes on anything other than the Shield and the TV.

I've been looking at an IR extender but I wondered if there are other, more elegant, out-of-the-box solutions the knowledgeable LTT community might know of.

Also: while researching this I came across the possibility of a single remote like a Harmony Elite, which would also unclutter my coffee table, which now displays a grand total of 4 remotes + the Shield controller.

Is there any other remote which might allow me to minimalize my setup like that?

(I might be getting a new TV (LG OLED Evo 2022) in a couple weeks/months so my setup may vary in the near future, what with the Magic LG remote and all, but nonetheless, looking forward to your suggestions.)

Thanks!

Yup the Harmony products are the only consumer friendly option, function and price, on the market. I wish there was something better to recommend, but it's actually pretty good. Idk if you need the full on Elite version. It used to cost $400 when I built my theater and I still did not feel it was warranted. I purchased one that has smart home buttons for lights and plugs.... that's the lowest model I would go with.

I've been using mine since 2016 and it's basically flawless. The setup is intense and it takes a while to get things going. It's easy to add everything and get up and running, but building the custom actions is going to test your patience.

Once it's all up and running the way you like it, it's a good product! Very good quality too.

16 minutes ago, johnt said:

Yup the Harmony products are the only consumer friendly option, function and price, on the market. I wish there was something better to recommend, but it's actually pretty good. Idk if you need the full on Elite version. It used to cost $400 when I built my theater and I still did not feel it was warranted. I purchased one that has smart home buttons for lights and plugs.... that's the lowest model I would go with.

I've been using mine since 2016 and it's basically flawless. The setup is intense and it takes a while to get things going. It's easy to add everything and get up and running, but building the custom actions is going to test your patience.

Once it's all up and running the way you like it, it's a good product! Very good quality too.

Thanks!

The Elite is AFAIK the only one that comes with that sort or IR extender for hidden devices. But I could be wrong.

The problem with Harmony remotes is that they're discontinued, so the prices ramped up immensely. That is, if you can find them.

1 hour ago, pauloforte said:

Thanks!

The Elite is AFAIK the only one that comes with that sort or IR extender for hidden devices. But I could be wrong.

The problem with Harmony remotes is that they're discontinued, so the prices ramped up immensely. That is, if you can find them.

Shoot I didn't know that. What a joke logitech has become. This was a very good product line, but I can't recommend it since the devices you purchase in the future might not even be supported.

Logi killed another one.

You could try a simple IR extender like you said. They are cheap enough that you won't lose much if it doesn't work.................. unlike another unsupported logi product 

Yeah unfortunately the Harmony remotes have been discontinued - I have been considering buying the Elite for years, but now it is seemingly too late.

OP, one simple thing you can do is just get IR extenders, and hide them in a visible but obscure place along the front of the cabinets (ensure good line of sight to the remotes).

You could try finding a used or old-new stock Harmony remote - you can still normally find them on places like eBay, even new ones, but expect to pay a lot.

I did come across some kickstarter type campaign for a new modern Smart Remote for home entertainment - no idea if it ever got funded, but it was fairly underwhelming looking anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Thanks yes, those are indeed the two options I mentioned above.

I assume then that there are no other solutions for this out there. Am I right?

I use the sofabaton x1, it is like a harmony remote with a hub, but not as nice. It works, and I can do everything I want, but it takes way longer to setup than I initially anticipated. It has IR blaster extenders, and you can by more of the 3.5mm jack ir blasters if you have more things. It works good enough and is a one remote solution