LF well documented application that requires public IPv4 to function

Moonzy
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,

It is resolved

here's the scenario, I'm looking to host a dedicated steam game server, which requires me to port forward

but upon days of diagnosing, I found out my ISP changed my Public IP to a Private IP which goes through NAT etc etc, which no longer allows port forwarding

I inquired about it and they said they can provide me with a public IP if I can find a well referenced or documented reason that I do indeed require a public IPv4 (or I could sub to their higher tier plan, convenient right?)

and as far as I can (or can't) find, there's no well documented things about the game server that I'm trying to host

So, I need to find an application that requires a Public IPv4 to function, but one that has documented proof for it, and use that application, so I have a reason to get public IP

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

From what I understand they aren't asking about the actual application, they just want to weed out "someone told me I need a public IP to play call of duty!!1!", making it clear you want to host your own servers should do it. Could use Nextcloud as an example if really needed... but that page says "Customers using CCTV IP-Based and known hosting will not be impacted as they will be excluded from the migration exercise" so they don't seem to want to be too much of a pain about it unlike some. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

making it clear you want to host your own servers should do it.

I did tell them I'm attempting to host a game server, that's the first thing I clarified, I mentioned port forwarding etc

They then proceed to ask for documentation that it does indeed require ipv4

How do I even begin to prove that?

Could use Nextcloud as an example if really needed...

I'll look into it

but that page says "Customers using CCTV IP-Based and known hosting will not be impacted as they will be excluded from the migration exercise" so they don't seem to want to be too much of a pain about it unlike some.

I googled some fixed IP camera and they came back to me and said "contact D-Link and ask for them to assure that the camera does indeed require ipv4 to function"

I think their question about requiring IPv4 is more about “can it run on IPv6”. In other words, can your camera be updated or configured to use IPv6, so you can access it remotely via IPv6 instead of IPv4. Same thing for your game server - they want something that says the game does not support IPv6.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Yep seems that way given the additional info.

Time to dig into ipv6? 😄 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Time to dig into ipv6?

I don't think I have any IPv6, but I wouldn't know for sure

Side note, I also have VPN if that helps my case, though I'm not sure how port forwarding would do in that regards, I set my router to use VPN, but it doesn't seem like port forwarding is working

My public IP and WAN IP is different and only when I use my WAN IP will the game server say "available" instead of "LAN only", and even though it's "available", it's not detectable by anyone outside my network

On 7/19/2022 at 4:15 AM, Moonzy said:

I did tell them I'm attempting to host a game server, that's the first thing I clarified, I mentioned port forwarding etc

They then proceed to ask for documentation that it does indeed require ipv4

How do I even begin to prove that?

They bullshit you, you bullshit them back.

Just invent something like a NAS or a home security camera solution that provides access via public IP.

5 minutes ago, TomChaai said:

They bullshit you, you bullshit them back.

Just invent something like a NAS or a home security camera solution that provides access via public IP.

they'll ask for documentation, which i cant find any

though i spoke to them again and this time they seemed to be willing to change my ipv4 to public, fingers crossed i guess

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

they'll ask for documentation, which i cant find any

though i spoke to them again and this time they seemed to be willing to change my ipv4 to public, fingers crossed i guess

Some times its just about dealing with the right person. Some of those people dont know their ass hole from a hole in the ground. They were probably trying to give you the run around to have you give up. Like it said in the press release you linked, they are out of IPv4 addresses. Until the world gets its head out of its ass and fully switches over to IPv6, we will continue to have these issues.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It is resolved

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

It is resolved

Please let us know what you did, just in case someone might have the same issue as you. 🙂

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

4 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Please let us know what you did, just in case someone might have the same issue as you. 🙂

15 hours ago, Moonzy said:

i spoke to them again and this time they seemed to be willing to change my ipv4 to public