What is the meaning of a "golden cpu"?

Alright so, I watched a Linus video and noticed him talk about how he purchases 100 intel core i9's for the best one because of the silicone etc.... I wanted to know how can I tell apart my cpu over the others? I am curious as if to how this works and how to find out. Thank you if you can respond! Have a good day.

A golden chip is just one that overclock crazy well. Only way for a general consumer to tell how good their chip is to see how well you can overclock it on good cooling, then look at some reports for binning to see how yours stacks up. 

I have a intel core i7 12700k.... I dont think its able to over clock. Can it?

1 minute ago, jaredbritz7 said:

I have a intel core i7 12700k.... I dont think its able to over clock. Can it?

12700K can (its a K SKU), assuming you've got a Z690 motherboard. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

12700K can (its a K SKU), assuming you've got a Z690 motherboard. 

Z690? whats that I have the b660-A ROG Strix Gaming WiFi D4 Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard.

10 minutes ago, jaredbritz7 said:

Z690? whats that I have the b660-A ROG Strix Gaming WiFi D4 Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard.

They are different chipsets, Z690, H670 and B660 (from best to most basic). Your board uses the B660 chipset, as the name implies.

Example:

https://www.asus.com/us/site/motherboards/Intel-Alder-Lake-Z690-H670-B660/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

A cpu exceptionally good at overclocking

This only matters mostly for xocers trying to get wr for stuff like freq or benchmarks, even ram if theyre looking for a chip with golden imc, doesnt matter for the average joe that just turns on xmp and never touches the bios ever again

Personally i have been looking at good 775 dual cores that can oc ~5g ~1.6v, you can look at cpu models that are very good bin like e8600 or x5260/70 or you can just buy dirt cheap cpus in the hundreds and start binning them like lower bin c2d and pentium, x5260 is pretty cheap for what it is so id rather get that than waste a crapload of money on prob bad bin cpus

4 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

A cpu exceptionally good at overclocking

This only matters mostly for xocers trying to get wr for stuff like freq or benchmarks, even ram if theyre looking for a chip with golden imc, doesnt matter for the average joe that just turns on xmp and never touches the bios ever again

Personally i have been looking at good 775 dual cores that can oc ~5g ~1.6v, you can look at cpu models that are very good bin like e8600 or x5260/70 or you can just buy dirt cheap cpus in the hundreds and start binning them like lower bin c2d and pentium, x5260 is pretty cheap for what it is so id rather get that than waste a crapload of money on prob bad bin cpus

I can sum it up in a simple way - A golden sample is simply a chip that clocks higher while remaining stable enough to get a result better than others like it.

While a golden chip is nice to have, even for a daily/gaming setup it's not a necessity. Just worry about it being a good chip for what you are doing and don't set your expectations/goals too high, you won't be getting 8GHz results from something aircooled or even on water for example.
As long as it's comparable to others like yours it's fine.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

31 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

I can sum it up in a simple way - A golden sample is simply a chip that clocks higher while remaining stable enough to get a result better than others like it.

While a golden chip is nice to have, even for a daily/gaming setup it's not a necessity. Just worry about it being a good chip for what you are doing and don't set your expectations/goals too high, you won't be getting 8GHz results from something aircooled or even on water for example.
As long as it's comparable to others like yours it's fine.

Reason id want an x5260 is because its a damn xeon so higher bin than an e8600 and more likely to hit high freq without absurd volts (1.7v+), also because i wanna have a go at making garbage 775 boards go vroom vroom cause 775 cpu also affects fsb capability (new cpus only affect cpu oc capability and ram oc capability if you get a good imc), i mean someone on hwbot got 535fsb on a garbage g31 foxconn with just voltmodding so i wonder if i can do the same but with a dell btx board 🙂 (matx dells are just rebranded foxconns so wont bother with those), also just to see if my g31m s2c is hardwalled at 542 w/o vmod or not

You don’t want those old cpus, you want new ones.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X