How NOT to Make a PC - feat. HP

AdamFromLTT

HP is making some BOLD claims about their Z2 Mini G9 workstations, but can HP’s new workstation match the performance and the equally bold claims of the Mac Studio?

As a Z workstation owner, it's honestly a bit sad to see HP doing so poorly and just shoving a laptop board into a little rectangle. There were some versions of these little workstations with MXM modules and socketed CPUs IIRC, but it seems those days are gone... 

Working for HP as a system engineer must be hard, you got your qualifications, years of experience and all the ambition.

Your task: Going through all the stress-induced headaches to achieve the impossible performance specs your dipshit boss invents, pulling as much as you can to make the miracle happen, then still gets roasted by the community in the end.

21 minutes ago, TomChaai said:

Working for HP as a system engineer must be hard, you got your qualifications, years of experience and all the ambition.

Your task: Going through all the stress-induced headaches to achieve the impossible performance specs your dipshit boss invents, pulling as much as you can to make the miracle happen, then still gets roasted by the community in the end.

I have pretty much only heard good things of their US only laptop the HP Dev One which is meant for developers and as an alternative to the Lenovo ThinkPads

I'd argue the A2000 is closer to the 3060, with just a few compute units disabled and a harsh 70W fixed power limit.

They could've just use the T-series 35W processors, or even the 65W standard ones. Though they will still draw much greater power (generating more heat) at peak turbo.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Well it is a business computer and nobody is buying these to game on. Instead of testing games on both systems they could have tested different benches or work programs to compare the information and I feel like this video is just bias on hp up against the mac studio.

1 hour ago, NomBread said:

Well it is a business computer and nobody is buying these to game on. Instead of testing games on both systems they could have tested different benches or work programs to compare the information and I feel like this video is just bias on hp up against the mac studio.

bruh, their i9 lost to an i7.  That's a shit physical design.  That ain't gonna change.

20 minutes ago, tkitch said:

bruh, their i9 lost to an i7.  That's a shit physical design.  That ain't gonna change.

Hp offers a workstation with an i7 so why not buy both and test them. Never mentioned the cpu in my comment just that they could have handled the data differently.

8 minutes ago, NomBread said:

Hp offers a workstation with an i7 so why not buy both and test them. Never mentioned the cpu in my comment just that they could have handled the data differently.

okay, they did run benches beyond just games, and the mac wiped the floor on almost all of them.

51 minutes ago, tkitch said:

okay, they did run benches beyond just games, and the mac wiped the floor on almost all of them.

Like linus said in the video using pugetbench you can't compare them apples to apples and one of the tests could not even run plus showing the data for thermals section on cinebench, blender and geekbench did not show how it compared to the mac studio kinda unfair a little.

If only they could have gotten away with using the blowymatrons from the 1RU Proliant servers...

I'd like to see a follow-up where the gang tries some janky cooling fixes to make this thing into what it promises it's supposed to be (if that's even reasonably possible).

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

HP is the EPITOME of how not to make a PC. 🤣

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Like linus said in the video using pugetbench you can't compare them apples to apples and one of the tests could not even run plus showing the data for thermals section on cinebench, blender and geekbench did not show how it compared to the mac studio kinda unfair a little.

because the mac didn't thermal throttle?

Face it, the hp box is built like shit.  That's not news, hp builds fucking TERRIBLE computers.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

because the mac didn't thermal throttle?

Face it, the hp box is built like shit.  That's not news, hp builds fucking TERRIBLE computers.

The video felt a bit baity and the product works fine but it seems HP just needs to remove the option for a 12900k and maybe stick with the i7 instead.

The video felt a bit baity and the product works fine but it seems HP just needs to remove the option for a 12900k and maybe stick with the i7 instead.

I don't know how you would feel the video is baity. The configuration is trash, paying more for less performance.

5 hours ago, crazzp said:

I don't know how you would feel the video is baity. The configuration is trash, paying more for less performance.

Agreed, this isn't click bait. HP made a "too good to be true" config option, and LTT were just confirming that it was in fact too good to be true. This is the kind of thing I like them doing the most.

This is the kind of thing I'd have my work buy me for a Linux workstation and so it's nice to see a deep dive here this specific config.

5 hours ago, crazzp said:

The configuration is trash, paying more for less performance.

I assume the i9 SKU is only there to placate the "bigger number more better" management crowd.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 hours ago, NomBread said:

What about it is click bait?

They demonstrated with actual numbers a series of ways in which the HP is actually trash.  Click Bait would be saying it's trash and then it just kinda is fine, or works well.  

It wasn't fine, and it certainly did not work well.  It was fuckin' trash.

18 hours ago, Shizzmoney said:

$2300? In THIS economy?

The economy is one major reason that the price is that high.  Looked at housing lately?  Gas?  Food?

Everything is more expensive, your comment was kinda off.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

HPs failure to include a shroud in such a custom product seems odd.  Rushed to market?

49 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

HPs failure to include a shroud in such a custom product seems odd.  Rushed to market?

Which is quite Ironic, as all their old workstation PC's used to come with a shroud for their shitty cooling solution.

I frankenmodded a HP cooler with 2 90mm fans, standoffs, and loong screws, and it runs 3x as cool under Idle, with the fans at a mere 50% [Manual adjustable with a fan-controller]

Its like their slogan is: Overengineered hardware* in a 30 year old case.

*hardware does not include PC components.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

from the title and thumbnail i thought LTT was gonna rip on a deskmini, and i thought "why? they are great little boxes" then i watched the video, heard it was about a Z-mini, and laughed...

the Z-mini series as a whole is a poor attempt at shoving a workstation in a mini formfactor, bunging up the hardware choices, and still selling loads of them to companies whi think they need a powerful workstation but they actually dont, so the thing ends up doing fine.

and then as if sticking 56 of them in a rack is somehow a redeeming quality in a time where we have GPU paravirtualization and multisession hosts. i bet that rackmount thing was invented to sell Zcentral to enterprises.

HP: manufacturer of some of the best wheels on the market, but sometimes they get the bright idea to reinvent the wheel, and end up with a car on square manhole covers.