Should this be covered under warranty?

yolosnail

So just over a year ago I bought a 14" laptop from Aldi as I was getting sick of carrying around my gaming laptop. The main reason I went with it was the price, and the fact it came with a 3 year warranty.

Within the first week or so, I noticed an issue with the keyboard, the left side of one of the keys didn't seem to be attached. So, I got in touch with support and they replaced the keyboard. However, the laptop came back with the same issue but on a different key! Back again it went, this time it came back with a fully working keyboard, although this time they managed to screw up the WiFi by jamming the antenna cable over the SSD. I could have easily fixed this myself in about 5 minutes, but just in case they screwed anything else up at the same time, I just sent the laptop back in for repair again, and finally I had a fully working laptop!

Fast forward to now, a year later, and now my enter key is having the same issue the left side of the key seems to keep lifting up. I'm not sure if one of the clips has snapped, and frankly I don't fancy taking the key off to find out in case I make it worse.

After a year of use, would it be unreasonable to ask them to fix this under warranty? I do quite a bit of typing for work, but not what I would say is over the top, I've probably typed 1-2000 pages worth of text using the built in keyboard. 

As a side note, this laptop has now become my main machine. 14" is the perfect size, and it turns out a Ryzen 3 is more than powerful enough for 99% of the things I do. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

It's got a 3 year warranty, so yes, it should be 100% covered.  

You could also offer to put in the keyboard yourself if they send you a new replacement, so you're not out the laptop for two way shipping, et all.

28 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

So just over a year ago I bought a 14" laptop from Aldi as I was getting sick of carrying around my gaming laptop. The main reason I went with it was the price, and the fact it came with a 3 year warranty.

Within the first week or so, I noticed an issue with the keyboard, the left side of one of the keys didn't seem to be attached. So, I got in touch with support and they replaced the keyboard. However, the laptop came back with the same issue but on a different key! Back again it went, this time it came back with a fully working keyboard, although this time they managed to screw up the WiFi by jamming the antenna cable over the SSD. I could have easily fixed this myself in about 5 minutes, but just in case they screwed anything else up at the same time, I just sent the laptop back in for repair again, and finally I had a fully working laptop!

Fast forward to now, a year later, and now my enter key is having the same issue the left side of the key seems to keep lifting up. I'm not sure if one of the clips has snapped, and frankly I don't fancy taking the key off to find out in case I make it worse.

After a year of use, would it be unreasonable to ask them to fix this under warranty? I do quite a bit of typing for work, but not what I would say is over the top, I've probably typed 1-2000 pages worth of text using the built in keyboard. 

As a side note, this laptop has now become my main machine. 14" is the perfect size, and it turns out a Ryzen 3 is more than powerful enough for 99% of the things I do. 

I would be weary of making such a purchase from Aldi. The items they sell in their "housewares" section have wildly varying quality. I would think the warranty process for an Aldi item would be less than ideal to say the least.

The being said, I do think you're within your right as a consumer to request warranty coverage in this case. Whether or not you will actually get anything worth your time is another story. 

1 hour ago, yolosnail said:

It's perfectly reasonable to ask them to fix it...you might want to backup your data though as they don't seem to be very good at replacements.

The fact you had 2 keys fail early like that and after a year had a 3rd key fail I wouldn't get my hopes up on it being a long lasting fix.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Is it some main brand laptop or something lesser known? I personally would have opted money-back after 3rd recall if it was some lesser known brand. At that point, the quality shown has been very weak.

That said, I have had similar happen with Lenovo and even with my 1st ever mobile phone (it had battery draining issue). Usually they work fine after 2 warranty repairs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

29 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Is it some main brand laptop or something lesser known? I personally would have opted money-back after 3rd recall if it was some lesser known brand. At that point, the quality shown has been very weak.

That said, I have had similar happen with Lenovo and even with my 1st ever mobile phone (it had battery draining issue). Usually they work fine after 2 warranty repairs.

It's a Medion laptop, which is owned by Lenovo. 

I've had very bad luck with laptops from the big brands so I thought screw it, I'll just go for the cheapest.

My trackpad fell apart 3 times on a Dell laptop. They ended up giving me a refund in the end.

I'm on my third HP gaming laptop. I started with a HP Pavilion Gaming with a 6700H and 950M, that was in and out of repair for about 6 months before they gave me a free upgrade to a HP Omen with a 7700H and 1050Ti. After about 18 months, which started having issues, and after going back and forth a few times I got yet another free upgrade to a 9750H and RTX 2060. This one has had it's fair share of warranty repairs, ranging from a faulty GPU, LCD and the keyboard. In fact, when it arrived it came with a few of the keys in the wrong place!

If my experience with HP has taught me anything, it's always go for the extended warranty!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

39 minutes ago, yolosnail said:

It's a Medion laptop, which is owned by Lenovo.

Ok, hopefully they still have spares for it. Or its using more common spares.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Dunno if Medion has its own warranty system or they going over lenovo.

If you get your PC repaired over lenovo warranty and after 3 tries of repairing the same error its still not fixed they will usually refund the purchase price over the distribution via a Credit number. [ Lenovo pays Medion -> Medion pays you the refund]

At least thats how Lenovo warranty works in europe, not sure about other regions.