Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What’s a good 240mm aio for i7 12700k

nusp
 Share

I was gonna get the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 or the MSI MAG Series CORELIQUID 240R but I wanted to make sure that they are good enough to cooler the i7 12700k the pc will be used for gaming and some video editing probably won’t be overclocked 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only options worth considering are the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 or EK-AIO 240 D-RGB. Consistently the best performers and not just rebranded models from Asetek/Cool-It.

ITX & Ultrawide Enthusiast

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, what case are you gonna be using? Usually it makes more sense to get a big air cooler than a 240mm AIO if you can fit it in your case since they're half the price and the same performance. 

 

Second, if you aren't gonna overclock, then there's not really a point in getting the 12700K. The 12700F is ~$50 cheaper and roughly the same performance in basically everything.

 

Finally, if you are gonna be getting a 240mm AIO, avoid the MSI one, they've had a lot of issues lately with them clogging up. The Cooler Master one isn't bad per say, but it's not particularly amazing. If it's really cheap, sure go for it, but you'll get something better performing by getting an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm or going for something from EK. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First off, what case are you gonna be using? Usually it makes more sense to get a big air cooler than a 240mm AIO if you can fit it in your case since they're half the price and the same performance. 

 

Second, if you aren't gonna overclock, then there's not really a point in getting the 12700K. The 12700F is ~$50 cheaper and roughly the same performance in basically everything.

 

Finally, if you are gonna be getting a 240mm AIO, avoid the MSI one, they've had a lot of issues lately with them clogging up. The Cooler Master one isn't bad per say, but it's not particularly amazing. If it's really cheap, sure go for it, but you'll get something better performing by getting an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm or going for something from EK. 

The case I’ll be using is the Corsair 4000x rgb and I wanted a aio that has rgb and they seem to get decent reviews but is there a rgb aio that you recommended 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, nusp said:

The case I’ll be using is the Corsair 4000x rgb and I wanted a aio that has rgb and they seem to get decent reviews but is there a rgb aio that you recommended 

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-RGB-Multi-Compatible/dp/B099RSPC2H?th=1

This mounted up top is a great balance of 240mmish cost and 360mm performance while having RGB fans. That being said, for less you could just get the non rgb version and put your Corsair RGB fans on it.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-All-One/dp/B07WP6M7P7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=D1MIITV8WW1V&keywords=LIQUID+FREEZER+2+280&qid=1657062913&s=electronics&sprefix=liquid+freezer+2+280%2Celectronics%2C229&sr=1-1

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU 12900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU AMD Radeon 6800 XT FE, Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPU Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, MSI 1070 Gaming X 8gb, Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, 5x Seagate IronWolf 8tb NAS(ZFS1), PSU Corsair RM1000x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans, OS Unraid

 

Why is the 5800x so hot?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nusp said:

The case I’ll be using is the Corsair 4000x rgb and I wanted a aio that has rgb and they seem to get decent reviews but is there a rgb aio that you recommended 

Both of the ones I suggested have RGB variants. You could just buy RGB fans to go with them as well. 

 

Also, just saying, you might want to avoid the 4000X. It's not a particularly great since the intakes are covered in glass so temps are higher than other cases. There are other cases that have better thermals with just as much RGB for about the same cost as the 4000X. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, nusp said:

I was gonna get the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2 or the MSI MAG Series CORELIQUID 240R but I wanted to make sure that they are good enough to cooler the i7 12700k the pc will be used for gaming and some video editing probably won’t be overclocked 

Avoid both, Cheap AIOS are almost never worth it, and the MSI MAG Series has had MASSIVE recalls. CM ML 240L Has also had pretty mediocre results.

 

I always reccomend 280 for i7 and i9 at minimum, or 360 if you can fit.  Arctic Freezer II, or Some Fractal units can be good. Corsair is pretty hit or miss with their AIOs, and id avoid anything NZXT due to pricing.

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

First off, what case are you gonna be using? Usually it makes more sense to get a big air cooler than a 240mm AIO if you can fit it in your case since they're half the price and the same performance. 

 

Second, if you aren't gonna overclock, then there's not really a point in getting the 12700K. The 12700F is ~$50 cheaper and roughly the same performance in basically everything.

 

Finally, if you are gonna be getting a 240mm AIO, avoid the MSI one, they've had a lot of issues lately with them clogging up. The Cooler Master one isn't bad per say, but it's not particularly amazing. If it's really cheap, sure go for it, but you'll get something better performing by getting an Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm or going for something from EK. 

I will always never recommend removing the IGPU if its not beyond a certain price point. The troubleshooting ability and fix of just having one has fixed SO many issues for helping friends and others when trying to help. I understand if the price is a ton higher, 50$ sounds a lot higher then what it normally is,  its usually a 15$-20$ difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Both of the ones I suggested have RGB variants. You could just buy RGB fans to go with them as well. 

 

Also, just saying, you might want to avoid the 4000X. It's not a particularly great since the intakes are covered in glass so temps are higher than other cases. There are other cases that have better thermals with just as much RGB for about the same cost as the 4000X. 

 

5 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Avoid both, Cheap AIOS are almost never worth it, and the MSI MAG Series has had MASSIVE recalls. CM ML 240L Has also had pretty mediocre results.

 

I always reccomend 280 for i7 and i9 at minimum, or 360 if you can fit.  Arctic Freezer II, or Some Fractal units can be good. Corsair is pretty hit or miss with their AIOs, and id avoid anything NZXT due to pricing.

I will always never recommend removing the IGPU if its not beyond a certain price point. The troubleshooting ability and fix of just having one has fixed SO many issues for helping friends and others when trying to help. I understand if the price is a ton higher, 50$ sounds a lot higher then what it normally is,  its usually a 15$-20$ difference.

Do you think it would be better to go 360mm instead of 240mm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

  its usually a 15$-20$ difference.

Alder lake hasn't seemed to be that way. Even the 12400 vs 12400f is almost $50 difference. 12600K/KF is only a $11 difference. 

Interestingly, the 12900F is $20 cheaper than the non F while the KF is $10 more than the 12900k. 

The prices on Alder Lake are all messy.

 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU 12900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU AMD Radeon 6800 XT FE, Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPU Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, MSI 1070 Gaming X 8gb, Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, 5x Seagate IronWolf 8tb NAS(ZFS1), PSU Corsair RM1000x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans, OS Unraid

 

Why is the 5800x so hot?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nusp said:

 

Do you think it would be better to go 360mm instead of 240mm

If you're not gonna overclock it doesn't really matter, but if you're not gonna overclock why are you getting a -K SKU?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you're not gonna overclock it doesn't really matter, but if you're not gonna overclock why are you getting a -K SKU?

Got it for my birthday 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you're not gonna overclock it doesn't really matter, but if you're not gonna overclock why are you getting a -K SKU?

I don't know if OP knows this or not, or is going with it my happenstance. Once again. Alder Lake is weird.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134591/intel-core-i712700-processor-25m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134594/intel-core-i712700k-processor-25m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

Spoiler

I accidentally had outdated leak information, but there still is a difference. Mostly base frequencies though

image.thumb.png.9adc0d2af2c38d06739a9f14d1405519.png

 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU 12900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU AMD Radeon 6800 XT FE, Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPU Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, MSI 1070 Gaming X 8gb, Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, 5x Seagate IronWolf 8tb NAS(ZFS1), PSU Corsair RM1000x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans, OS Unraid

 

Why is the 5800x so hot?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nusp said:

Got it for my birthday 

OK, if you already own it it makes sense. I would aim for a 360mm since then you have the option to overclock in the future, though if you have a hatred towards overclocking both are fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, if you already own it it makes sense. I would aim for a 360mm since then you have the option to overclock in the future, though if you have a hatred towards overclocking both are fine. 

It’s not that I don’t like overclocking it’s just I don’t want to break anything 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, nusp said:

It’s not that I don’t like overclocking it’s just I don’t want to break anything 

CPUs are pretty resilient, and pretty hard to break. Just don't accidentally pump 2V into VCore and you're fine, check for stability and you're good to go. There are a ton of tutorials out there for how to do it on Alder Lake, maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually you should try to overclock it a bit. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

CPUs are pretty resilient, and pretty hard to break. Just don't accidentally pump 2V into VCore and you're fine, check for stability and you're good to go. There are a ton of tutorials out there for how to do it on Alder Lake, maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually you should try to overclock it a bit. 

Yeah I probably will is there a good 360mm aio you recommend? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, nusp said:

Yeah I probably will is there a good 360mm aio you recommend? 

The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 or the one made by EK (I forget the model number off the top of my head). Both are top notch AIOs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, nusp said:

Yeah I probably will is there a good 360mm aio you recommend? 

I told the best two brands in the first reply. 🥺

ITX & Ultrawide Enthusiast

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I told the best two brands in the first reply. 🥺

Lol sorry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 or the one made by EK (I forget the model number off the top of my head). Both are top notch AIOs. 

Would there be a big difference in temps between a 240mm arctic liquid and a 360mm one?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nusp said:

Would there be a big difference in temps between a 240mm arctic liquid and a 360mm one?

I'd have to look at specific thermal tests again, but I'd expect something like a 5-10C difference under full load. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

be quiet! Silent Loop 2 models are also a good bang-for-buck (and have as awesome fans)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nusp said:

Would there be a big difference in temps between a 240mm arctic liquid and a 360mm one?

 

I would personally get a 360mm if you can.

Can dissipate more heat, and can run the fans at a lower RPM = quieter.

 

Personally, I would recommend the EKwb EK-AIO 360 D-RGB.

You can order directly from EKwb, or get it through Amazon, etc.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-aio-360-d-rgb

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

  • i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB Intel 660p NVMe
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

  • AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

  • Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

  • FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

 

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×