Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommendations for upgrading PC for both gaming and rendering

Hi,

 

Currently I have self-built PC that I've had for a couple of years.

 

It has a Intel Core i7 8700k, 64GB of memory (DDR4 4x 16GB at 3000 MHz) and a GTX 1080 Ti.

The MB is a ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming. Only the CPU is watercooled using a pre-built loop from Cooler Master if I remember correctly.

The power supply is a 750W from Corsair I believe. (RM750x?)

(Currently not at home as I'm on holiday but I will check if anyone prefers as soon as I get home).

 

Right now I play heavier games like F1 22 and some of the latest Call of Duty, but I also do 3d rendering using OctaneRender.

 

The budget is more or less a "depends on how long I want to spend time saving up for it" if you get what I mean.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably overhaul the platform first while keeping the GPU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MasterWayZ said:

Hi,

 

Currently I have self-built PC that I've had for a couple of years.

 

It has a Intel Core i7 8700k, 64GB of memory (DDR4 4x 16GB at 3000 MHz) and a GTX 1080 Ti.

The MB is a ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming. Only the CPU is watercooled using a pre-built loop from Cooler Master if I remember correctly.

The power supply is a 750W from Corsair I believe. (RM750x?)

(Currently not at home as I'm on holiday but I will check if anyone prefers as soon as I get home).

 

Right now I play heavier games like F1 22 and some of the latest Call of Duty, but I also do 3d rendering using OctaneRender.

 

The budget is more or less a "depends on how long I want to spend time saving up for it" if you get what I mean.

Any ideas/recommendations?

Octane can be rtx enabled so even a 2060 for example can perform up to 5 times faster.

 

So basically a gpu upgrade is what I would do here. With a rm750x a 3070ti is as far as I'd push it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your system is already pretty good as it is now,but you could upgrade the GPU if you want better performance in gaming and have newer features like RTX and DLSS.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4.1GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1349cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue is that (sometimes) with bigger renders I will run out of the graphical memory on the GPU. Then it falls back to main system memory which slows down the render. So if I get a GPU that has less graphical memory then I will run into the issue more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, MasterWayZ said:

The issue is that (sometimes) with bigger renders I will run out of the graphical memory on the GPU. Then it falls back to main system memory which slows down the render. So if I get a GPU that has less graphical memory then I will run into the issue more.

What about a NVIDIA Quadro P6000 or a RTX 3090/Ti

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4.1GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1349cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vishera said:

What about a NVIDIA Quadro P6000 or a RTX 3090/Ti

Quadro cards don't do it for me with their prices. If I were to get a RTX 3090, what CPU should I pair up with it? Keep in mind I'll need to get a new MB anyway and I'd like to keep using my current DDR4 memory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3090 is horrible value, unless you're doing this Octane stuff professionally, I wouldn't bother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Motifator said:

3090 is horrible value, unless you're doing this Octane stuff professionally, I wouldn't bother.

It's not a whole lot of earnings at this point, but there's definitely money coming in.

For starters I would need at least 11GB again like I have on the 1080 Ti, so that leaves little options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×