IPMI

Is IPMI a feature of the motherboard or the CPU?

For example, will IPMI be available if I pair an i7-10700k with a supermicro motherboard? or would you need to use a xeon for it to work?

12 minutes ago, Nem said:

Is IPMI a feature of the motherboard or the CPU?

For example, will IPMI be available if I pair an i7-10700k with a supermicro motherboard? or would you need to use a xeon for it to work?

Its on the board itself. Generally you find it on server boards. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

It's a feature of the motherboard, it doesn't matter the CPU installed. Heck, you could even use IPMI if there's no CPU installed in the board, though it is pretty useless if you do. 

Which Supermicro board are you planning on using? As far as I know, Core series CPUs do not work on the C256 chipset found on those boards, so you'll need to use a Xeon for the board to POST at all. 

I do want to mention. I recall a project with the Raspberry PI that could enable IPMI kinda of control to the average desktop PC. I do remember that the products needed were sold out at the time. Im not sure what it costs. Im not 100% what's all involved in the set up. It might be something worth looking in to. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

I do want to mention. I recall a project with the Raspberry PI that could enable IPMI kinda of control to the average desktop PC. I do remember that the products needed were sold out at the time. Im not sure what it costs. Im not 100% what's all involved in the set up. It might be something worth looking in to. 

https://pikvm.org/  --  the project you mentioned. 

It's a good project and everything, though it's not necessarily a replacement for IPMI. You do miss out on some features like temperature and power monitoring, plus with true IPMI you can usually do BIOS flashback and install an OS over the network. The Pi KVM is better than nothing for a server, but there are features that I'd want that true IPMI if possible. 

Intel also have vpro which has many of the features IMPI, but made for workstations. You need a cpu with vpro enabled, and a supported board. The support chipsets are q and w series chipsets, and the normal gaming and consumer boards don't support vpro.