What CPU to choose

Go to solution Solved by ColdFusion04,

True, AM4 isn't obsolete, LGA1151 is.

Also the 8700K ist meant for OC, while the Ryzen 5 3600 is newer, more performant and in the future you could upgrade for a 5000 series (maybe even better, if AMD hasn't lied about delivering new CPUs for Socket AM4).

You might want to consider a newer GPU though...

Hi all.
Between Ryzen 5 3600 and I7 8700k what should I pick? It's not to OC.

It's for Casual gaming, streaming app's and office stuff. Some light programming too.

About the GPU, for the Ryzen is a R9 380 and for the I7 it's a GTX 1050 ti, the rest is equal.

AM4 offers significantly better upgrade path, that alone is a reason for me to pick that over 8700K.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Also the 8700K ist meant for OC, while the Ryzen 5 3600 is newer, more performant and in the future you could upgrade for a 5000 series (maybe even better, if AMD hasn't lied about delivering new CPUs for Socket AM4).

laptop or desktop?

And if desktop, is it a standard built parts PC or is it an HP or other OEM box?

2 minutes ago, tkitch said:

laptop or desktop?

And if desktop, is it a standard built parts PC or is it an HP or other OEM box?

Hi.

It's a desktop standard built

1 minute ago, MangaTech said:

Hi.

It's a desktop standard built

Then hands down, the AMD is better long-term, since it leaves you productive growth in the future for the CPU.  

25 minutes ago, ColdFusion04 said:

About the GPU, they are very similar or?

Agree with everyone in that Ryzen is the better option. Also for GPU I would go with the 1050 ti as the R9 380 isn't supported anymore while the 1050ti is.

About the GPUs: i have a compare list, it's only in german though

https://geizhals.at/?cmp=1668166&cmp=1335398&active=1

The GTX 1050 Ti was available since 2017, the R9 380 is from 2015.

I dont know what you want to do in regards of programming, but the GTX 1050 Ti supports Vulkan 1.3, the R9 380 supports only 1.1.

Same with OpenCL, GTX 1050 Ti supports 3.0, the Radeon 2.0

DirectX: GTX 1050 Ti 12_1, Radeon 12_0

The memory bandwidth on the GTX 1050 Ti is also much higher.

For the pricing comparison i can't say much, the R9 380 isn't sold in D/A/CH since 2017.

So i would strongly recommend swapping this part (also the R9 380 has more than double the power consumption of the 1050 Ti, 190W compared to 75W TDP/TGP).

1 hour ago, ColdFusion04 said:

Can't really tell if you are saying if an 8700K is or is not for OC'ing due to the typo but know any "K" series chip from Intel IS for OC'ing useage - Otherwise it would be a non-K chip meaning it has a locked multipler set so you woudn't be able to aside from jacking the BCLK up.

All Ryzen chips are unlocked so you can OC those if you want, regardless if it's an "X" chip or not.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

1 minute ago, Beerzerker said:

Can't really tell if you are saying if an 8700K is or is not for OC'ing due to the typo but know any "K" series chip from Intel IS for OC'ing useage - Otherwise it would be a non-K chip meaning it has a locked multipler set so you woudn't be able to aside from jacking the BCLK up.

All Ryzen chips are unlocked so you can OC those if you want, regardless if it's an "X" chip or not.

Sorry if my post was unclear... english isn't my first language.

I meant exactly that, a Intel K CPU is imho only worth the money if you want to overclock because the K-chips are more expensive than the non-K-chips. So it was meant as a con-argument for the Intel-CPU.

Again, sorry if i caused a misunderstanding.

No prob, just wanted to clarify it. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

14 minutes ago, ColdFusion04 said:

About the GPUs: i have a compare list, it's only in german though

https://geizhals.at/?cmp=1668166&cmp=1335398&active=1

The GTX 1050 Ti was available since 2017, the R9 380 is from 2015.

I dont know what you want to do in regards of programming, but the GTX 1050 Ti supports Vulkan 1.3, the R9 380 supports only 1.1.

Same with OpenCL, GTX 1050 Ti supports 3.0, the Radeon 2.0

DirectX: GTX 1050 Ti 12_1, Radeon 12_0

The memory bandwidth on the GTX 1050 Ti is also much higher.

For the pricing comparison i can't say much, the R9 380 isn't sold in D/A/CH since 2017.

So i would strongly recommend swapping this part (also the R9 380 has more than double the power consumption of the 1050 Ti, 190W compared to 75W TDP/TGP).

Thank you.

For what I saw despite of the new opengl, etc...the R9 have 256bit vs 128bit, it has more TFLOPS and GFLOPS and more shaders, TMUs/ROPs.

Probably in gaming, the R9 would be better? I checked some videos comparing both and R9 most of the times, have more FPS then GTX.

And I think another point is the DDR4 speeds, for the 3600 it can go to up 3200Mhz since 8700k only go in normal conditions 2666mhz, right?

Both are pretty old, if I had to choose it would be the 3600.

Why only those options?

10 minutes ago, MangaTech said:

And I think another point is the DDR4 speeds, for the 3600 it can go to up 3200Mhz since 8700k only go in normal conditions 2666mhz, right?

Can do as fast as the IMC can handle, on Z boards. 2666 is on non-Z boards.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x